From: Donal K. Fellows on
Cameron Laird wrote:
> Lua is tops for "easy integration with C/C++". Tcl is almost
> as simple. Tcl, as it happens, offers at least a half-dozen
> distinct idioms for Tcl-C co-operation. One of these is
> called, "stubs". Lua lacks stubs, to the best of my knowledge
> (although only straightforward if tedious effort lies in the
> way of someone who wants to endow Lua with stubs).

Stubs is in part an attitude to backward compatability that is oriented
to very stable APIs and heavy production use. Actually stubbing an API
isn't very hard; you use automated tools to do most of the maintenance
after all. But keeping those promises you made by adopting a stubbed
API, well, that's a different story altogether.

FWIW, most commercial software is nothing like as stable as Tcl, even if
we restrict ourselves to examining just the API (and leave out things
like propensity to crash, etc.) To see what I mean by this, you have to
realize that code that was compiled to binary form against Tcl 8.1 (i.e.
perhaps as far back as May 1999) will still probably work if loaded into
the CVS HEAD version of 8.5, over six and a half years later. (Of
course, if we talk about source compatability, I've got code that was
written against Tcl 7.4 which still builds now, over a decade later.)

Donal.
From: slebetman@yahoo.com on
Hmm, I'm going to have to re-arrange the posting order to answer this.
So is this "middle posting"?

Cameron Laird wrote:
> In article <1135902376.793251.228540(a)g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> slebetman(a)yahoo.com <slebetman(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It seems Lua's strengths is smaller footprint and better performance than
> >> TCL. And they said it runs on mobile devices too. TCL is too slow for mobile
> >> devices, I was told on here.
> > <snip>
> >even less resource than Tcl. But saying Tcl is slow for mobile devices
> >is just plain wrong since the same mobile devices are usually designed
> >to run Java.
> >

> Please point me to the person who told you that, "TCL is too
> slow for mobile devices".

Lisa Pearlson.

> As it stands, that's simply not true.

I also said that it is not true.

> >I'd think Tcl would be perfect for this since this sort of stuff
> >involves a lot of text processing.
>
> slebetman, do you truly believe that Tcl is inappropriate for
> construction of installers because Tcl makes "text processing"
> too difficult?

I don't see how you can interpret the phrase "Tcl would be perfect" to
mean "Tcl is inappropriate". So let me rephrase what I said by
paraphrasing you: Tcl is inappropriate for construction of installers
because Tcl makes "text processing" easy.

> That doesn't make sense to me--particularly not with the evidence of

Doesn't make sense to me too since Lua is not as 'EIAS' as Tcl.

From: slebetman@yahoo.com on
slebetman(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> > >I'd think Tcl would be perfect for this since this sort of stuff
> > >involves a lot of text processing.
> >
> > slebetman, do you truly believe that Tcl is inappropriate for
> > construction of installers because Tcl makes "text processing"
> > too difficult?
>
> I don't see how you can interpret the phrase "Tcl would be perfect" to
> mean "Tcl is inappropriate". So let me rephrase what I said by
> paraphrasing you: Tcl is inappropriate for construction of installers
> because Tcl makes "text processing" easy.

Heh.. sorry, the problem with paraphrasing is that sometimes you
paraphrase too much or too little. What I meant to say was:

Tcl is appropriate for construction of installers because Tcl makes
"text processing" easy.

(delete the 'in' in 'inappropriate')

From: David N. Welton on
slebetman(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>>Please point me to the person who told you that, "TCL is too
>>slow for mobile devices".

> Lisa Pearlson.

>>As it stands, that's simply not true.

> I also said that it is not true.

In case you hadn't seen it, I wrote a sort of small cousin to Tcl called
Hecl that runs in J2ME environments:

www.hecl.org

It's not a speed demon, but it's a very dynamic scripting language
written on top of Java, and it's still usable on my relatively low-end
Nokia 3100. If you have an environment where Tcl itself runs, it's fast
enough for a whole lot of things. Where it isn't, most other scripting
languages aren't likely to be either, and if you want to be *fast*, you
want to rewrite that code in C in any case - something that Tcl lets you
do with relative ease.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/