From: Lisa Pearlson on
Coincidentally I came across Lua ( http://lua.org ).
Seems their goals, portability, embeddability, extendability, are
similar to Tcl.
Just like Tcl, I had never heard of Lua, but they claim it to be
simple, fast, etc.

So, I can't help wonder how Tcl compares to Lua.
Does anyone here know Lua? I'm sure each has their strengths and
weaknesses. I'm only interested in what are Tcl's advantages over Lua.

Lisa

From: Cameron Laird on
In article <1135859377.142907.11560(a)g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Lisa Pearlson <reageer(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>Coincidentally I came across Lua ( http://lua.org ).
>Seems their goals, portability, embeddability, extendability, are
>similar to Tcl.
>Just like Tcl, I had never heard of Lua, but they claim it to be
>simple, fast, etc.
>
>So, I can't help wonder how Tcl compares to Lua.
>Does anyone here know Lua? I'm sure each has their strengths and
>weaknesses. I'm only interested in what are Tcl's advantages over Lua.
>
>Lisa

Tcl constitutes a far richer programming environment.
Lua is more minimal in its run-time impact.

Tcl supports Unicode and regular expressions more fully
than Lua.

Tcl has Starpacks, stubs, and so on.

Tcl/Tk is ahead of TkLua.

There are more Tcl books.

Some prefer EIAS to the impressive mileage Lua gets out
of dictionary-based metaprogramming.

Lua's a wonderful language. It also remains a niche
language. Tcl comes much closer to universality.
From: Isaac Gouy on

Cameron Laird wrote:
> In article <1135859377.142907.11560(a)g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Lisa Pearlson <reageer(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Coincidentally I came across Lua ( http://lua.org ).
> >Seems their goals, portability, embeddability, extendability, are
> >similar to Tcl.
> >Just like Tcl, I had never heard of Lua, but they claim it to be
> >simple, fast, etc.
> >
> >So, I can't help wonder how Tcl compares to Lua.
> >Does anyone here know Lua? I'm sure each has their strengths and
> >weaknesses. I'm only interested in what are Tcl's advantages over Lua.
> >
> >Lisa
> >

> Tcl constitutes a far richer programming environment.
> Lua is more minimal in its run-time impact.
>
> Tcl supports Unicode and regular expressions more fully
> than Lua.
>
> Tcl has Starpacks, stubs, and so on.
>
> Tcl/Tk is ahead of TkLua.
>
> There are more Tcl books.
>
> Some prefer EIAS to the impressive mileage Lua gets out
> of dictionary-based metaprogramming.
>
> Lua's a wonderful language. It also remains a niche
> language. Tcl comes much closer to universality.

EIAS?

From: billposer on
Cameron Laird wrote:
>Tcl supports Unicode and regular expressions more fully
>than Lua.

Indeed, strictly speaking Lua doesn't have regular expressions at all.
It has pattern matching with some wildcards and character classes but
it lacks both alternation (e.g. cat|dog) and closure of subexpressions
(e.g. (ab)*).

Some things can be made to work in UTF-8 since Lua is 8-bit clean but
the short answer regarding Unicode support is that it doesn't. There is
a library that provides alternative string functions that work with
UTF-8. If you need to do a wee bit of Unicode you can probably make it
work but Lua is not designed to make Unicode easy. For details see:
http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUnicode.

From: Cameron Laird on
In article <1135875168.465905.247530(a)g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Isaac Gouy <igouy(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
.
.
.
>> Some prefer EIAS to the impressive mileage Lua gets out
>> of dictionary-based metaprogramming.
>>
>> Lua's a wonderful language. It also remains a niche
>> language. Tcl comes much closer to universality.
>
>EIAS?

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: tclBlend for Windows