From: invader on
> If someone wants to spend top dollar on a new machine ONLY to obtain Vista,
> ONLY to get rid of tearing then what's it to you?

I don't know why you're getting so upset over this. It's a reasonable
exercise: to come up with a top-10 list of reasons why a person should
upgrade from XP to Vista.

Sure, there might be someone out there who is horribly offended by the GDI
repaint delay. That person will want to buy Vista. Perhaps you are that
person. However, I don't think the repaint delay is at the top of the list
for the average consumer. In fact, I contend the average consumer will not
even notice it is gone.

Thus, I get back to my original point: What advantage is there of switching
from the GDI to a GPU-based solution? So far, we have (after an exhaustive
discussion) managed to come up with two reasons: the elimination of tearing
and repaint delay. I'll add a third: transparent borders (fairly useless
IMO). What else? Is that it? Has anyone proven the performance of the machine
is any better?

Posted using Android Newsgroup Downloader:
.... http://www.sb-software.com/android
From: Justin on
<invader(a)nospamforme.com> wrote in message

> I don't know why you're getting so upset over this. It's a reasonable
> exercise: to come up with a top-10 list of reasons why a person should
> upgrade from XP to Vista.

Who's upset? I stated that conversation has already taken place. If you
would like to search the NG you'll find more then one topic on that.

> Thus, I get back to my original point: What advantage is there of
> switching
> from the GDI to a GPU-based solution? So far, we have (after an exhaustive
> discussion) managed to come up with two reasons: the elimination of
> tearing
> and repaint delay. I'll add a third: transparent borders (fairly useless
> IMO). What else? Is that it? Has anyone proven the performance of the
> machine
> is any better?

That's about it for me. That's all I care about. Plus it looks cool.

From: Adam Albright on
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:03:50 -0800, "Justin" <None(a)None.com> wrote:

><invader(a)nospamforme.com> wrote in message
>> The problem we keep getting back to is the difficulty in determining those
>> ten significant reasons to upgrade from XP to Vista. I think it was Lang
>> who
>> put the switch from GDI to the GPU as his #1 point on his list and that's
>> what kicked off my participation in this thread, and I'm still unclear as
>> what benefits we have gained from the change.
>
>What do other peoples perspective on what benefits them have to do with your
>opinions with Vista?
>
>If someone wants to spend top dollar on a new machine ONLY to obtain Vista,
>ONLY to get rid of tearing then what's it to you?
>
>You keep trying to address individual problems (tearing) as a top ten list
>to upgrade to vista. There are already plenty of threads regarding that
>topic. Why don't you go read them?

Your endless self-righteous whining serves no purpose other than to
entertain us. You seem to think you get to decide who does what and
why. Why don't you instead calm down and actually try to help somebody
instead of attempting to prove you know something you obviously don't.
You give new meaning to the term net nanny. People are upgrading to
Vista or not... for all kinds of reasons. Why does it matter to you?

From: DevilsPGD on
In message <esn3ra01nu7(a)news1.newsguy.com> invader(a)nospamforme.com
wrote:

>> If someone wants to spend top dollar on a new machine ONLY to obtain Vista,
>> ONLY to get rid of tearing then what's it to you?
>
>I don't know why you're getting so upset over this. It's a reasonable
>exercise: to come up with a top-10 list of reasons why a person should
>upgrade from XP to Vista.
>
>Sure, there might be someone out there who is horribly offended by the GDI
>repaint delay. That person will want to buy Vista. Perhaps you are that
>person. However, I don't think the repaint delay is at the top of the list
>for the average consumer. In fact, I contend the average consumer will not
>even notice it is gone.

My mom definitely will, and I think she's probably in the "average
consumer" definition most of the time (although she'll notice because of
a specific app that is slow at repainting that drives her nuts)

>Thus, I get back to my original point: What advantage is there of switching
>from the GDI to a GPU-based solution? So far, we have (after an exhaustive
>discussion) managed to come up with two reasons: the elimination of tearing
>and repaint delay. I'll add a third: transparent borders (fairly useless
>IMO). What else? Is that it? Has anyone proven the performance of the machine
>is any better?

Proven? No -- However, it is perceptibly faster on my system. It's
nice to put that extra GB of RAM and combined 1.8GHz of CPU to work
doing something useful while I'm in Windows...

--
Insert something clever here.
From: Jeffrey S. Sparks on
A lot of these things you bring up can be/are perceptive. What may be a big
deal to me is obviously not to you. It SOUNDS like you are trying to find a
reason NOT to buy Vista. (Not sure, just what it sounds like)

The repaint/tearing update is something that should have been fixed.
Whether or not you missed it or not is unimportant. Fact: There was no
reason NOT to fix it.

Performance. There are so many different machines out there with so many
configurations I would bet you could find some where XP would run better and
some where Vista would run better.

If you haven't upgraded and you are worried about upgrading then here is not
the place to go. Go to a computer store and play with a computer that has
vista with aero running. Try out all the features and see if you like it
better.

Jeff