From: Ofnuts on
On 29/06/2010 18:38, isw wrote:
> And iPhoto "properly" handles it by keeping the original (which is not
> oriented properly, as indicated by the EXIF data) and making a properly
> oriented copy. The problem is, I do not want a copy; I want the original
> to be rotated.

So, your problem is that somewhere down the path, some software doesn't
take in account the exif rotation, so you want to rotate the picture
once for all and reset the flag?

--
Bertrand
From: isw on
In article <4c2a2933$0$10541$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>,
Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote:

> On 29/06/2010 18:38, isw wrote:
> > And iPhoto "properly" handles it by keeping the original (which is not
> > oriented properly, as indicated by the EXIF data) and making a properly
> > oriented copy. The problem is, I do not want a copy; I want the original
> > to be rotated.
>
> So, your problem is that somewhere down the path, some software doesn't
> take in account the exif rotation, so you want to rotate the picture
> once for all and reset the flag?

Bingo. More specifically, I do not want iPhoto to have a "secret"
rotated version; I want the file in my external library to be "correct".

Isaac
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-06-29 20:39:19 -0700, isw <isw(a)witzend.com> said:

> In article <4c2a2933$0$10541$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>,
> Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote:
>
>> On 29/06/2010 18:38, isw wrote:
>>> And iPhoto "properly" handles it by keeping the original (which is not
>>> oriented properly, as indicated by the EXIF data) and making a properly
>>> oriented copy. The problem is, I do not want a copy; I want the original
>>> to be rotated.
>>
>> So, your problem is that somewhere down the path, some software doesn't
>> take in account the exif rotation, so you want to rotate the picture
>> once for all and reset the flag?
>
> Bingo. More specifically, I do not want iPhoto to have a "secret"
> rotated version; I want the file in my external library to be "correct".
>
> Isaac

Then sad to say iPhoto is probably not the best software to use. As it
is it makes all sorts of unusual things to store images, which I find
annoying
You would do better with Photoshop Elements 8, which has a better
catalogue/organiser feature than the clumsy iPhoto set up. That will
probably do what you need it to do.
If you download the correctly oriented files from your camera, to a
folder on your Mac, the originals should open oriented as you had set
them in camera, without having to make a PSE copy. They should also
open in Preview correctly oriented without issue

If you have a little more available cash consider Lightroom 3 which
will do all you want.
....or step up to CS5 and Bridge.

For the most part iPhoto gathers dust on my hard drive.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Ofnuts on
On 30/06/2010 05:39, isw wrote:
> In article<4c2a2933$0$10541$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>,
> Ofnuts<o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote:
>
>> On 29/06/2010 18:38, isw wrote:
>>> And iPhoto "properly" handles it by keeping the original (which is not
>>> oriented properly, as indicated by the EXIF data) and making a properly
>>> oriented copy. The problem is, I do not want a copy; I want the original
>>> to be rotated.
>>
>> So, your problem is that somewhere down the path, some software doesn't
>> take in account the exif rotation, so you want to rotate the picture
>> once for all and reset the flag?
>
> Bingo. More specifically, I do not want iPhoto to have a "secret"
> rotated version; I want the file in my external library to be "correct".

1) change/upgrade the software down the path

2) http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.html

--
Bertrand
From: isw on
In article <4c2ae487$0$3698$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>,
Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote:

> On 30/06/2010 05:39, isw wrote:
> > In article<4c2a2933$0$10541$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>,
> > Ofnuts<o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote:

> >> So, your problem is that somewhere down the path, some software doesn't
> >> take in account the exif rotation, so you want to rotate the picture
> >> once for all and reset the flag?
> >
> > Bingo. More specifically, I do not want iPhoto to have a "secret"
> > rotated version; I want the file in my external library to be "correct".
>
> 1) change/upgrade the software down the path
>
> 2) http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.html

Some of those look useful; thanks.

Isaac