From: Nick Andrew on
Rob <mesamine(a)gmail.com> writes:

>And the Grey Pages online.

Hopefully they'll come back now :-)

>Someone had to initially copy the phone book, to their own data base,
>which telstra had compiled.

"Compiled" is the operative word here. T$ didn't write the phone
book (at least not the names and numbers part), it merely collected
facts about names and numbers.

>Telstra only give books to Telstra
>subscribers as part of the service. I can't see why its not copyright.

How T$ distributed the book is irrelevant. To get copyright, you need to
create something. T$ didn't create the names and numbers, it merely listed
them in its directory.

Nick.
From: Rob on
On 14/02/2010 11:44 AM, Nick Andrew wrote:
> Rob<mesamine(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> And the Grey Pages online.
>
> Hopefully they'll come back now :-)
>
>> Someone had to initially copy the phone book, to their own data base,
>> which telstra had compiled.
>
> "Compiled" is the operative word here. T$ didn't write the phone
> book (at least not the names and numbers part), it merely collected
> facts about names and numbers.

They produced the directory of their customers.

>> Telstra only give books to Telstra
>> subscribers as part of the service. I can't see why its not copyright.
>
> How T$ distributed the book is irrelevant. To get copyright, you need to
> create something. T$ didn't create the names and numbers, it merely listed
> them in its directory.

They created a directory of their subscribers.

Yellow pages has paying customers who being, subscribers to Telstra
services, have allowed their details to be published in the directory.

So what happens in this context?

Whatever we may think of Telstra their the one who have more rights,
others have plagiarized the information without permission or credit.

I liked the CD where you could reverse the information.

From: Nick Andrew on
Rob <mesamine(a)gmail.com> writes:

>On 14/02/2010 11:44 AM, Nick Andrew wrote:
>> Rob<mesamine(a)gmail.com> writes:

>>> Someone had to initially copy the phone book, to their own data base,
>>> which telstra had compiled.

>> "Compiled" is the operative word here. T$ didn't write the phone
>> book (at least not the names and numbers part), it merely collected
>> facts about names and numbers.

>They produced the directory of their customers.

And in doing so produced a book containing ... facts, which cannot be
copyrighted.

>Whatever we may think of Telstra their the one who have more rights,
>others have plagiarized the information without permission or credit.

Apparently the Court disagrees with your conclusion.

Nick.
From: who where on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:14:11 +1100, Rob <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 14/02/2010 11:44 AM, Nick Andrew wrote:
>> Rob<mesamine(a)gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> And the Grey Pages online.
>>
>> Hopefully they'll come back now :-)
>>
>>> Someone had to initially copy the phone book, to their own data base,
>>> which telstra had compiled.
>>
>> "Compiled" is the operative word here. T$ didn't write the phone
>> book (at least not the names and numbers part), it merely collected
>> facts about names and numbers.
>>

>They produced the directory of their customers.
>

>>> Telstra only give books to Telstra
>>> subscribers as part of the service. I can't see why its not copyright.
>>
>> How T$ distributed the book is irrelevant. To get copyright, you need to
>> create something. T$ didn't create the names and numbers, it merely listed
>> them in its directory.
>>

>They created a directory of their subscribers.
>

>Yellow pages has paying customers who being, subscribers to Telstra
>services, have allowed their details to be published in the directory.
>
>So what happens in this context?
>
>Whatever we may think of Telstra their the one who have more rights,
>others have plagiarized the information without permission or credit.

Their "work" was one of collation of subscriber-supplied data.
From: Marts on
Rob wrote...

> Whatever we may think of Telstra their the one who have more rights,
> others have plagiarized the information without permission or credit.

Whether or not Justice Gordon's decision is the correct and moral one, Telstra,
or rather, Sensis, was being a right prick by not allowing third party
developers to use its data for phone discs and the like.

But then, Telstra being what it is, would've charged like wounded bulls for the
info, anyway.

And it had its own phone disc for a while. It was a basic one, no patch on
DTMS's Phonedisc. But for whatever reason, stopped it.

> I liked the CD where you could reverse the information.

It's a brilliant feature. Great for identifying caller ID numbers. And that's
another issue - Telstra refusing to transmit the full data like what other
countries do (name, address, number).