From: pandama on
About 15 years ago when I first got a domain name, you had to submit
information about your business before you could get approval of a com.au
domain name (as I remember). However, now anybody can get com.au domain
names even though though are not entitled to it.
For example if you had a company Beauty Industries Pty Ltd you would have
been able to get beautyindustries.com.au and Melbourne IT would have not
allowed anyone else to get that domain unless they proved they had a
legitimate reason for getting it. But now it seems anybody could get that
domain name by just buying it online in 20 seconds flat.

From: Rob on
On 14/02/2010 10:39 AM, Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:
> pandama wrote:
>> About 15 years ago when I first got a domain name, you had to submit
>> information about your business before you could get approval of a
>> com.au domain name (as I remember). However, now anybody can get
>> com.au domain names even though though are not entitled to it.
>> For example if you had a company Beauty Industries Pty Ltd you would
>> have been able to get beautyindustries.com.au and Melbourne IT would
>> have not allowed anyone else to get that domain unless they proved
>> they had a legitimate reason for getting it. But now it seems anybody
>> could get that domain name by just buying it online in 20 seconds flat.
>
> Melb IT are real shonks. Its all that thieving prick kre's fault.

They were charging something like $400/year.
From: Nick Andrew on
"pandama" <panamadomains(a)gmail.com> writes:

>About 15 years ago when I first got a domain name, you had to submit
>information about your business before you could get approval of a com.au
>domain name (as I remember). However, now anybody can get com.au domain
>names even though though are not entitled to it.

Wrong. To get a com.au domain name, the registrant has to assert their
eligibility according to the com.au rules. If they lie in their application,
any domain which was previously granted may be deregistered, after a process
is followed.

However, the eligibility rules for com.au are quite broad and are a low
barrier for anybody to get practically any domain name they want.

Nick.
From: Fred on

"Nick Andrew" <nick(a)spamtrap.nick-andrew.net> wrote in message
> "pandama" <panamadomains(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>>About 15 years ago when I first got a domain name, you had to submit
>>information about your business before you could get approval of a com.au
>>domain name (as I remember). However, now anybody can get com.au domain
>>names even though though are not entitled to it.
>
> Wrong. To get a com.au domain name, the registrant has to assert their
> eligibility according to the com.au rules. If they lie in their
> application,
> any domain which was previously granted may be deregistered, after a
> process
> is followed.
>
> However, the eligibility rules for com.au are quite broad and are a low
> barrier for anybody to get practically any domain name they want.

I guess it's a matter of how the guidelines are being interpreted.
IIRC MelbourneIT were very strict, but didn't have all that many
applications to process in the early days.
I recall as numbers increased they struggled to keep up so delays occurred.
Anyhow as you mention there are elegibility rules to administer.
Just looking at the auDA site there is a policy change coming in March
relating to domain renewal, expiry and deletion.

"auDA is reviewing the Domain Renewal, Expiry and Deletion Policy (2006-07).
This policy governs when domain names in the open 2LDs can be renewed, and
what happens when domain names expire or are deleted.

auDA has published the outcome of the review. In summary, auDA is proposing
to make the following changes to the Domain Expiry, Renewal and Deletion
Policy:

a.. change the random domain purge time to a fixed, publicly known time
b.. publish an official domain drop list
c.. allow registrants to set a common expiry date for multiple domain
names.
These changes are due to be implemented in March 2010. auDA will announce
the exact date and publish the new policy closer to the time"

Copied here for reference is the current com.au policy

SCHEDULE C
ELIGIBILITY AND ALLOCATION RULES FOR COM.AU

The com.au 2LD is for commercial purposes.

The following rules are to be read in conjunction with the Eligibility and
Allocation Rules for All Open 2LDs, contained in Schedule A of this
document.

1. To be eligible for a domain name in the com.au 2LD, registrants must be:
a) an Australian registered company; or
b) trading under a registered business name in any Australian State or
Territory; or
c) an Australian partnership or sole trader; or
d) a foreign company licensed to trade in Australia; or
e) an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or
f) an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or
g) an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or
h) an Australian commercial statutory body.

2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must be:
a) an exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant's name or
trademark; or
b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.

SCHEDULE A

ELIGIBILITY AND ALLOCATION RULES FOR ALL OPEN 2LDS

First come, first served
1. Domain name licences are allocated on a 'first come, first served' basis.
It is not possible to pre-register or otherwise reserve a domain name.

Registrants must be Australian
2. Domain name licences may only be allocated to a registrant who is
Australian, as defined under the eligibility and allocation rules for each
2LD.

Composition of domain names
3. Domain names must:
a) be at least 2 characters long;
b) contain only letters (a-z), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (-), or a
combination of these;
c) start and end with a number or a letter, not a hyphen; and
d) not contain hyphens in the third and fourth position (eg. ab--cd.com.au).

Domain name licence renewal period
4. The domain name licence period is fixed at 2 years. It is not possible to
license a domain name for a shorter or longer period.

5. Renewal of a domain name licence at the end of the 2 year period is
dependent on the registrant continuing to meet the eligibility and
allocation rules for the relevant 2LD.

Number of domain names
6. There is no restriction on the number of domain names that may be
licensed by a registrant.

auDA's Reserved List
7. auDA's Reserved List contains names that may not be licensed. The list is
available on auDA's website at http://www.auda.org.au.

Prohibition on registering domain names for sole purpose of resale
8. A registrant may not register a domain name for the sole purpose of
resale or transfer to another entity.

From: Nick Andrew on
"Fred" <bluser(a)gaymail.com> writes:

>"Nick Andrew" <nick(a)spamtrap.nick-andrew.net> wrote in message news:hl7haf$cml$1(a)speranza.aioe.org...
>> [...] To get a com.au domain name, the registrant has to assert their
>> eligibility according to the com.au rules. If they lie in their
>> application,
>> any domain which was previously granted may be deregistered, after a
>> process
>> is followed.
>>
>> However, the eligibility rules for com.au are quite broad and are a low
>> barrier for anybody to get practically any domain name they want.

>I guess it's a matter of how the guidelines are being interpreted.
>IIRC MelbourneIT were very strict, but didn't have all that many
>applications to process in the early days.
>I recall as numbers increased they struggled to keep up so delays occurred.

I think you might be confusing Melbourne IT with the final kre days.
For the last year or so of his reign, kre really couldn't keep up with
the number of applications. If anything was unclear or incorrect, kre
would ignore your application. If you emailed him to demand that he
hurry up, kre would send your application to the bottom of the pile. It
was a travesty.

Eventually it seems kre realised that he was going backwards and so he
delegated the registration function to Melbourne IT on a non-exclusive
basis. At that time, Melbourne IT would have had quite a backlog and
it would have taken them some time to catch up. Kre never did delegate
his authority to anybody other than Melbourne IT - sometime later, AUDA
was formed to take over kre's role and, by working with ICANN (which kre
refused to do), eventually they obtained the .au delegation and cut kre
out of the domain management.

Nick.