From: terryc on
Pete wrote:
> Hugh Jeego wrote:
>
>> However, you can NOT get a .com.au without an ABN at all.
>
> I thought you could get one if you were the registered owner of a
> trademark, and it doesn't appear that you need an ABN to register a
> trademark.

Nope, trademarks are creative works, pure and simple.

The correct wording probably still is "may be able to obtain"

So, if your trade mark was stylised lettering from the alphabet, then
you might be able to register that domain as you could clearly
demonstrate a connection to your business.

Examples are BHP/Blue Steel registering "Colorbond" (?),
Arnotts biscuts for Sao (?)
CC Amatil registering "CocaCola",