From: who where on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:08:14 +1030, "Fred" <bluser(a)gaymail.com> wrote:

This is the one that most restricts choices.

>2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must be:
>a) an exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant's name or
>trademark; or
>b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.

and is the reason so many australian would-be registrants go for a
(far cheaper until crazy came along) .com name.
From: Terryc on
Fred wrote:
> "Nick Andrew" <nick(a)spamtrap.nick-andrew.net> wrote in message

>> However, the eligibility rules for com.au are quite broad and are a low
>> barrier for anybody to get practically any domain name they want.
>
> I guess it's a matter of how the guidelines are being interpreted.

I do not know that they were ever that strict.
If the domain name was worth $75 over three years(NSW) and no one had
already had it registered in your state, you just registered a business
name and quoted the business name rego number as your right and bingo it
was given to you.
From: Hugh Jeego on
Rubbish.

In order to get, as an example, the domain name plop.com.au you need to have
an ABN with something in the name that refers to that. Another example - you
want some domain to do with lights? You need to have an ABN with a business
name that refers to that business. You could have "Jon Smith Enterprises
trading as Lights for all" and still get a domain to do with a lighting
shop.

However, you can NOT get a .com.au without an ABN at all.

From: Pete on
Hugh Jeego wrote:

> However, you can NOT get a .com.au without an ABN at all.

I thought you could get one if you were the registered owner of a
trademark, and it doesn't appear that you need an ABN to register a
trademark.

Peter
From: Hugh Jeego on

"Pete" <pjetson(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hugh Jeego wrote:
>
>> However, you can NOT get a .com.au without an ABN at all.
>
> I thought you could get one if you were the registered owner of a
> trademark, and it doesn't appear that you need an ABN to register a
> trademark.
>
> Peter

You *NEED* an ABN for a .com.au and if you don't have one specifically
referring to the business within the name of the company, you cant get a
..com.au domain. Simple as that.