From: z1 on
http://www.news.com.au/business/telstra-loses-copyright-case-over-yellow-pages-and-white-pages/story-e6frfm1i-1225829707028

Telstra loses copyright case over Yellow Pages and White Pages

* Staff reporters
* From: news.com.au
* February 12, 2010 1:37PM
* 51 comments

ANYONE can now copy and reuse listings in the Yellow Pages and White
Pages, after a court ruled they are not protected by copyright.

The decision opens the way for other publishers and software makers to
use the information in the directories in a range of new products.

The judgement also has wide-reaching implications because it may mean
that companies that merely assemble a database of facts - such as
auction or sports results - without any other 'literary effort' may not
be able to copyright the information.

A collection of facts could be reused in websites, smartphone
applications and other publications without permission or any payment to
the body that originally compiled the data.

The loss for Telstra and its directories unit Sensis came after the
group sued the publishers of Local Directories for using information
from the Yellow Pages and White Pages.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Telstra had argued the Yellow Pages and White Pages listings - including
its database of names and addresses - were covered under copyright law
and could not be legally copied by other parties.

But Justice Michelle Gordon rejected this argument.

"None of the Works were original," Justice Gordon said in her judgement
this week.

"None of the people said to be authors of the Works exercised
'independent intellectual effort' or 'sufficient effort of a literary
nature' in creating the (directories).'

"Further, if necessary, the creation of the Works did not involve some
'creative spark' or the exercise of the requisite 'skill and judgment'."

A lawyer who acted on behalf of Local Directories said the decision
could affect copyright laws surrounding other private databases, The
Australian Financial Review reports.

Sensis told the paper it would consider appealing the decision.

Read the Federal Court's full decision on copyright law.
From: SolomonW on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:32:44 +1100, z1 wrote:

> http://www.news.com.au/business/telstra-loses-copyright-case-over-yellow-pages-and-white-pages/story-e6frfm1i-1225829707028
>
> Telstra loses copyright case over Yellow Pages and White Pages
>
> * Staff reporters
> * From: news.com.au
> * February 12, 2010 1:37PM
> * 51 comments
>
> ANYONE can now copy and reuse listings in the Yellow Pages and White
> Pages, after a court ruled they are not protected by copyright.
>
> The decision opens the way for other publishers and software makers to
> use the information in the directories in a range of new products.
>
> The judgement also has wide-reaching implications because it may mean
> that companies that merely assemble a database of facts - such as
> auction or sports results - without any other 'literary effort' may not
> be able to copyright the information.
>
> A collection of facts could be reused in websites, smartphone
> applications and other publications without permission or any payment to
> the body that originally compiled the data.
>
> The loss for Telstra and its directories unit Sensis came after the
> group sued the publishers of Local Directories for using information
> from the Yellow Pages and White Pages.
>
> Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
>
> End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
>
> Telstra had argued the Yellow Pages and White Pages listings - including
> its database of names and addresses - were covered under copyright law
> and could not be legally copied by other parties.
>
> But Justice Michelle Gordon rejected this argument.
>
> "None of the Works were original," Justice Gordon said in her judgement
> this week.
>
> "None of the people said to be authors of the Works exercised
> 'independent intellectual effort' or 'sufficient effort of a literary
> nature' in creating the (directories).'
>
> "Further, if necessary, the creation of the Works did not involve some
> 'creative spark' or the exercise of the requisite 'skill and judgment'."
>
> A lawyer who acted on behalf of Local Directories said the decision
> could affect copyright laws surrounding other private databases, The
> Australian Financial Review reports.
>
> Sensis told the paper it would consider appealing the decision.
>

> Read the Federal Court's full decision on copyright law.

That is a reversal of the decision that closed DTMS years ago.
From: Rob on
On 13/02/2010 10:17 PM, SolomonW wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:32:44 +1100, z1 wrote:
>
>> http://www.news.com.au/business/telstra-loses-copyright-case-over-yellow-pages-and-white-pages/story-e6frfm1i-1225829707028
>>
>> Telstra loses copyright case over Yellow Pages and White Pages
>>
>> * Staff reporters
>> * From: news.com.au
>> * February 12, 2010 1:37PM
>> * 51 comments
>>
>> ANYONE can now copy and reuse listings in the Yellow Pages and White
>> Pages, after a court ruled they are not protected by copyright.
>>
>> The decision opens the way for other publishers and software makers to
>> use the information in the directories in a range of new products.
>>
>> The judgement also has wide-reaching implications because it may mean
>> that companies that merely assemble a database of facts - such as
>> auction or sports results - without any other 'literary effort' may not
>> be able to copyright the information.
>>
>> A collection of facts could be reused in websites, smartphone
>> applications and other publications without permission or any payment to
>> the body that originally compiled the data.
>>
>> The loss for Telstra and its directories unit Sensis came after the
>> group sued the publishers of Local Directories for using information
>> from the Yellow Pages and White Pages.
>>
>> Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
>>
>> End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
>>
>> Telstra had argued the Yellow Pages and White Pages listings - including
>> its database of names and addresses - were covered under copyright law
>> and could not be legally copied by other parties.
>>
>> But Justice Michelle Gordon rejected this argument.
>>
>> "None of the Works were original," Justice Gordon said in her judgement
>> this week.
>>
>> "None of the people said to be authors of the Works exercised
>> 'independent intellectual effort' or 'sufficient effort of a literary
>> nature' in creating the (directories).'
>>
>> "Further, if necessary, the creation of the Works did not involve some
>> 'creative spark' or the exercise of the requisite 'skill and judgment'."
>>
>> A lawyer who acted on behalf of Local Directories said the decision
>> could affect copyright laws surrounding other private databases, The
>> Australian Financial Review reports.
>>
>> Sensis told the paper it would consider appealing the decision.
>>

>> Read the Federal Court's full decision on copyright law.
>

> That is a reversal of the decision that closed DTMS years ago.

And the Grey Pages online.

Someone had to initially copy the phone book, to their own data base,
which telstra had compiled. Telstra only give books to Telstra
subscribers as part of the service. I can't see why its not copyright.

They may not issue a phone book anymore and let your fingers do the
walking via the net.

Ironic I know two people who have reinstated their Telstra lines. One
from Optus and another fron Soul/TPG.

Are Telstra are starting to see the light with charges and service.

From: Rod Speed on
Rob wrote:
> On 13/02/2010 10:17 PM, SolomonW wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:32:44 +1100, z1 wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.news.com.au/business/telstra-loses-copyright-case-over-yellow-pages-and-white-pages/story-e6frfm1i-1225829707028
>>>
>>> Telstra loses copyright case over Yellow Pages and White Pages
>>>
>>> * Staff reporters
>>> * From: news.com.au
>>> * February 12, 2010 1:37PM
>>> * 51 comments
>>>
>>> ANYONE can now copy and reuse listings in the Yellow Pages and White
>>> Pages, after a court ruled they are not protected by copyright.
>>>
>>> The decision opens the way for other publishers and software makers
>>> to use the information in the directories in a range of new
>>> products. The judgement also has wide-reaching implications because it may
>>> mean that companies that merely assemble a database of facts - such
>>> as auction or sports results - without any other 'literary effort'
>>> may not be able to copyright the information.
>>>
>>> A collection of facts could be reused in websites, smartphone
>>> applications and other publications without permission or any
>>> payment to the body that originally compiled the data.
>>>
>>> The loss for Telstra and its directories unit Sensis came after the
>>> group sued the publishers of Local Directories for using information
>>> from the Yellow Pages and White Pages.
>>>
>>> Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
>>>
>>> End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
>>>
>>> Telstra had argued the Yellow Pages and White Pages listings -
>>> including its database of names and addresses - were covered under
>>> copyright law and could not be legally copied by other parties.
>>>
>>> But Justice Michelle Gordon rejected this argument.
>>>
>>> "None of the Works were original," Justice Gordon said in her
>>> judgement this week.
>>>
>>> "None of the people said to be authors of the Works exercised
>>> 'independent intellectual effort' or 'sufficient effort of a
>>> literary nature' in creating the (directories).'
>>>
>>> "Further, if necessary, the creation of the Works did not involve
>>> some 'creative spark' or the exercise of the requisite 'skill and
>>> judgment'." A lawyer who acted on behalf of Local Directories said the decision
>>> could affect copyright laws surrounding other private databases, The
>>> Australian Financial Review reports.
>>>
>>> Sensis told the paper it would consider appealing the decision.
>>>

>>> Read the Federal Court's full decision on copyright law.
>>

>> That is a reversal of the decision that closed DTMS years ago.
>
> And the Grey Pages online.

> Someone had to initially copy the phone book, to their own data base,
> which telstra had compiled. Telstra only give books to Telstra
> subscribers as part of the service.

That is just plain wrong.

> I can't see why its not copyright.

More fool you.

> They may not issue a phone book anymore

They still do.

> and let your fingers do the walking via the net.

> Ironic I know two people who have reinstated their Telstra lines. One from Optus and another fron Soul/TPG.

There will always be a few attracted by Telstra's offers.

If no one was, you'd really have something to comment on.

> Are Telstra are starting to see the light with charges and service.

Nope, just worked out that they need to be more competitive,
particularly for the stupids who cant use voip etc.

From: pandama on
> But Justice Michelle Gordon rejected this argument.

There no justice in women justices