From: Acacia on
SG1 wrote:
> "Dyna Soar" <dynasoar..REMOVE..THIS..(a)ozdebate.com> wrote in message
>> anm wrote:

>>> errr
>>> sorry Rod
>>> To some people, particularly retirees, $30 IS a lot!!
>>
>> Talk about twisting what is said!
>>
>> I'm a retiree. I agree, $30 is a lot, but it isn't an "absolute
>> fortune" in the context used here.
>
> What did Helstra charge when they did the throttle? That is relevant
> to the arguement not what they charge now.

IMHO it's not about the price but the value. For value you have to compare
plans and features, like shaping or excess charges, up and down speeds, how
the data allowance is allocated and etc.

http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/media/announcements_article.cfm?ObjectID=38597
10th November 2006
Telstra today delivered another important instalment in its "Plan for
Australia" as BigPond unveiled its upgraded national high-speed broadband
network, offering fixed-line ADSL speeds amongst the fastest in the world.

The unveiling also marked the 10th anniversary of the launch of BigPond in
November 1996.

BigPond's Group Managing Director, Mr Justin Milne, said BigPond High Speed
Broadband would deliver network speeds of either up to eight megabits per
second (Mbps) or up to 20Mbps from exchanges offering ADSL2+ services.
Because of regulatory constraints, the up to 20Mbps service would be limited
to exchanges where competitors are also offering those higher speeds.

"Telstra's commitment to delivering national high-speed broadband services
is demonstrated by how we are investing our money. Because we've invested
shareholder funds heavily in building out our high-speed network, we are now
able to offer BigPond customers, across Australia, higher speed ADSL
broadband services" Mr Milne said.

"Additionally, we have introduced new 1.5Mbps BigPond plans, which are up to
$30 per month cheaper. A customer on a 512kbps BigPond plan can elect to
switch to an equivalent 1.5Mbps BigPond plan at no extra charge and benefit
from a speed increase of around 300 per cent.

BigPond ADSL Pricing effective 10 November 2006

Access speed / MB Allowance: Preselect Price
256kbps/200MB: $29.95
256pbps / BigPond Liberty1: $59.95
1500 kbps / 400MB: $39.95
1500 kbps / BigPond Liberty1: $69.95
1500 kbps / 25GB: $99.95
High speed2 / 600MB: $59.95
High speed2 / BigPond Liberty1: $89.95
High speed2 / 25GB: $119.95
High speed2 / 60GB : $149.95

1. Shaped download limit of 12GB
2. Up to 8Mbps for ADSL1 and up to 20Mbps for ADSL2+

From: Marts on
annily wrote...

> How does the article support that Telstra throttled DSL1? In fact it says:
>
> "In exchanges where no other competitors had installed equipment,
> Telstra throttled the speeds to ADSL1 - with maximum connection speeds
> of 8 megabits per second."
>
> So in effect, they throttled what should have been ADSL2+ speeds to
> ADSL1 8000 kbps.

> That seems to me to be quite different from your assertion.

I read it differently. I also assumed that the reporter mangled it a bit, given
that I've not heard of any DSL2+ DSLAM being throttled that way.

Naturally that doesn't mean that Telstra hasn't done that. If it has, it still
supports what I'm saying in that Telstra chooses to limit its services for no
other reason than it can.

From: Rod Speed on
SG1 wrote:
> "Dyna Soar" <dynasoar..REMOVE..THIS..(a)ozdebate.com> wrote in message
>> anm wrote:

>>> errr
>>> sorry Rod
>>> To some people, particularly retirees, $30 IS a lot!!
>>
>> Talk about twisting what is said!
>>
>> I'm a retiree. I agree, $30 is a lot, but it isn't an "absolute
>> fortune" in the context used here.
>
> What did Helstra charge when they did the throttle?

$30 per month, for a while only $15 per month with the half price first year etc.

> That is relevant to the arguement not what they charge now.

The minimum charge hasnt changed significantly in years now.

From: Marts on
Acacia wrote...

> BigPond ADSL Pricing effective 10 November 2006

Are these prices still current? I just tried to get onto the BP website but I
keep getting errors.

> High speed2 / 25GB: $119.95

I am on an ADSL2+ 20/20 gig plan. Uploads not counted. It costs me $69.95/mth.

From: Rod Speed on
Marts wrote
> Dyna Soar wrote

>> Talk about twisting what is said!

>> I'm a retiree. I agree, $30 is a lot, but it isn't an "absolute fortune" in the context used here.

> The context was Telstra's overall pricing plans which were, and still are, expensive.

In fact Telstra drove down the lowest priced DSL to levels below
what their competitors were charging and they had to match those.

> Perhaps "fortune" is hyperbole,

No perhaps about it, $30/month is nothing even remotely resembling anything
like an absolute fortune. It is in fact what a basic phone service costs.

> but it's an expressive term to describe how expensive
> Bigpond and Telstra services in general are,

It is in fact a bare faced lie when its what a basic phone service costs.

> particularly compared to the likes of Internode, Optus and so on.

Another lie with the lowest cost DSL services.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Windows 7
Next: How does Win7 update other software?