From: Lu R on

"Acacia" <gm(a)geemall.com> wrote in message
> SG1 wrote:
>> "Dyna Soar" <dynasoar..REMOVE..THIS..(a)ozdebate.com> wrote in message

>>> Talk about twisting what is said!
>>>
>>> I'm a retiree. I agree, $30 is a lot, but it isn't an "absolute
>>> fortune" in the context used here.
>>
>> What did Helstra charge when they did the throttle? That is relevant
>> to the arguement not what they charge now.
>
> IMHO it's not about the price but the value. For value you have to compare
> plans and features, like shaping or excess charges, up and down speeds,
> how
> the data allowance is allocated and etc.
>
> http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/media/announcements_article.cfm?ObjectID=38597
> 10th November 2006
> Telstra today delivered another important instalment in its "Plan for
> Australia" as BigPond unveiled its upgraded national high-speed broadband
> network, offering fixed-line ADSL speeds amongst the fastest in the world.
>
> The unveiling also marked the 10th anniversary of the launch of BigPond in
> November 1996.
>
> BigPond's Group Managing Director, Mr Justin Milne, said BigPond High
> Speed
> Broadband would deliver network speeds of either up to eight megabits per
> second (Mbps) or up to 20Mbps from exchanges offering ADSL2+ services.
> Because of regulatory constraints, the up to 20Mbps service would be
> limited
> to exchanges where competitors are also offering those higher speeds.
>
> "Telstra's commitment to delivering national high-speed broadband services
> is demonstrated by how we are investing our money. Because we've invested
> shareholder funds heavily in building out our high-speed network, we are
> now
> able to offer BigPond customers, across Australia, higher speed ADSL
> broadband services" Mr Milne said.
>
> "Additionally, we have introduced new 1.5Mbps BigPond plans, which are up
> $30 per month cheaper. A customer on a 512kbps BigPond plan can elect to
> switch to an equivalent 1.5Mbps BigPond plan at no extra charge and
> benefit
> from a speed increase of around 300 per cent.
>
> BigPond ADSL Pricing effective 10 November 2006
>
> Access speed / MB Allowance: Preselect Price
> 256kbps/200MB: $29.95
> 256pbps / BigPond Liberty1: $59.95
> 1500 kbps / 400MB: $39.95
> 1500 kbps / BigPond Liberty1: $69.95
> 1500 kbps / 25GB: $99.95
> High speed2 / 600MB: $59.95
> High speed2 / BigPond Liberty1: $89.95
> High speed2 / 25GB: $119.95
> High speed2 / 60GB : $149.95
>
> 1. Shaped download limit of 12GB
> 2. Up to 8Mbps for ADSL1 and up to 20Mbps for ADSL2+

We're ALL getting throttled in comparison to the USA. NO caps on downloads
there. None of this BS we have to put up with. The price we pay for living
in God's country?

From: Frank Slootweg on
Lu R <whome(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> We're ALL getting throttled in comparison to the USA. NO caps on downloads
> there. None of this BS we have to put up with.

Neither here in Europe. The only caps which still exist, are on some
*mobile* (i.e. HSDPA/UMTS) broadband plans.

FWIW, I have to *downgrade* my broadband plan all the time, because
they make it faster for the same price, so I'm wasting money on a too
high plan. :-)

> The price we pay for living
> in God's country?

I would *gladly* swap with you! :-)
From: Rod Speed on
Lu R wrote:
> "Acacia" <gm(a)geemall.com> wrote in message
>> SG1 wrote:
>>> "Dyna Soar" <dynasoar..REMOVE..THIS..(a)ozdebate.com> wrote in message

>>> What did Helstra charge when they did the throttle? That is relevant
>>> to the arguement not what they charge now.
>>
>> IMHO it's not about the price but the value. For value you have to
>> compare plans and features, like shaping or excess charges, up and
>> down speeds, how
>> the data allowance is allocated and etc.
>>
>> http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/media/announcements_article.cfm?ObjectID=38597
>> 10th November 2006
>> Telstra today delivered another important instalment in its "Plan for
>> Australia" as BigPond unveiled its upgraded national high-speed
>> broadband network, offering fixed-line ADSL speeds amongst the
>> fastest in the world. The unveiling also marked the 10th anniversary of the launch of
>> BigPond in November 1996.
>>
>> BigPond's Group Managing Director, Mr Justin Milne, said BigPond High
>> Speed
>> Broadband would deliver network speeds of either up to eight
>> megabits per second (Mbps) or up to 20Mbps from exchanges offering
>> ADSL2+ services. Because of regulatory constraints, the up to 20Mbps
>> service would be limited
>> to exchanges where competitors are also offering those higher speeds.
>>
>> "Telstra's commitment to delivering national high-speed broadband
>> services is demonstrated by how we are investing our money. Because
>> we've invested shareholder funds heavily in building out our
>> high-speed network, we are now
>> able to offer BigPond customers, across Australia, higher speed ADSL
>> broadband services" Mr Milne said.
>>
>> "Additionally, we have introduced new 1.5Mbps BigPond plans, which
>> are up to
>> $30 per month cheaper. A customer on a 512kbps BigPond plan can
>> elect to switch to an equivalent 1.5Mbps BigPond plan at no extra
>> charge and benefit
>> from a speed increase of around 300 per cent.
>>
>> BigPond ADSL Pricing effective 10 November 2006
>>
>> Access speed / MB Allowance: Preselect Price
>> 256kbps/200MB: $29.95
>> 256pbps / BigPond Liberty1: $59.95
>> 1500 kbps / 400MB: $39.95
>> 1500 kbps / BigPond Liberty1: $69.95
>> 1500 kbps / 25GB: $99.95
>> High speed2 / 600MB: $59.95
>> High speed2 / BigPond Liberty1: $89.95
>> High speed2 / 25GB: $119.95
>> High speed2 / 60GB : $149.95
>>
>> 1. Shaped download limit of 12GB
>> 2. Up to 8Mbps for ADSL1 and up to 20Mbps for ADSL2+
>
> We're ALL getting throttled in comparison to the USA.

Nope, there are still some unthrottled downloads here.

> NO caps on downloads there.

Still some with none here too.

> None of this BS we have to put up with.

Thats wrong too, some of their's are capped too.

> The price we pay for living in God's country?

Nope.

From: Marts on
Rod Speed wrote...

> It is in fact a bare faced lie when its what a basic phone service costs.

Quit trying to twist things. I'm talking about Telstra's overall charges for its
products, whether it be internet, phone or mobile phone services.

From: annily on
Lu R wrote:

> We're ALL getting throttled in comparison to the USA. NO caps on downloads
> there.

To state what should be obvious, caps on downloads are not the same as
speed limiting (or "throttling"). The former works on a long-term basis
(usually a month), the latter on a much shorter term.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.