From: Hank Arnold on
My experience was that we were given 2008 TS licenses. I installed them
on our 2003 TS server. It prompted me if they were 2003 licenses. It was
all automatic without any need to call

If it doesn't work, you can call the clearing house and have them
"downgraded"...

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP