From: Eugene Miya on
From a.f.c. not c.a.:

DEC reached its internal technical limits.
It did that more than once.

Hey it didn't know how to make a larger, cheaper computer that
its customers were willing to buy.

Gawd, you guys. Are you doing to endlessly circle and chomp bites out
of each other over a long dead company? Gordon has moved on with his life.
Put up a bitchin' web site, or put up a wiki and move on.

HP is not the firm that it used to be either.

>>>They probably would have run out of pdp-8 and pdp-11 customers sooner or
>>>later. And by the early 80's I would think those systems were in the
>>>down part of the lifecycle.
And Apple stopped maintaining the Apple II, and so too
did Woz move to Macs. And likes them.
>> LSI11 based support systems everywhere could have made the mainframes
>> last until the 8600 was out, and could have assisted in a transition.
>>
>> Perhaps. Prime tried this strategy, but got bought out and gutted midway
>> in the process.
>>
>> DEC _did_ come back with the alpha, just as soon as they had managed
>> to deVAXify their brains. Except, by then the trust in the company had
>> evaporated.

Embarassment to the Cray guys on the T3D.

>> Snake oil, may 17th and all that.
>>
>> We keep harping on this. I have wondered why. I think this is a discussion
>> of today's dangers by proxy.

The past and history are easy.
The future is much harder. Success has a thousand fathers and failure
is an orphan as many have said before.

>> The important lesson from the events is that you should never, ever
>> have a single source for the equipment that runs your business critical
>> systems. Even if it is DEC, IBM, HP or a similar blue-chip giant.
>>
>> DEC folded ...
>> The lesser ones all imploded....
>> It is when outfits like Apple, IBM, Intel or Microsoft folds that we
>> are shaken, all of us.

Microsoft will keep Apple alive on life support just to show that it has
diverse competition.

>> The lesson from DEC is that it can happen.
>> Always have a Plan B.

And C, and D. ...

>Note that IBM damn near folded in the early 90's as well during the last
>days of the reign of John Akers.

I think that IBM had enough separate business units that the pieces
could have survived on inertia. It's not the same IBM as under Watson.

IBM folding would have been interesting. Chrysler got bailed out once.
It's not clear to me that IBM would have been treated quite the same way
as brick and mortar firms.

Follow ups to folklore only.

--
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ----------------------
For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install,
From: Andrew Swallow on
krw wrote:
> In article <fqWdnV-JLsRJ_ZXbRVnyiAA(a)bt.com>,
> am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com says...
>> Morten Reistad wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> DEC _did_ come back with the alpha, just as soon as they had managed
>>> to deVAXify their brains. Except, by then the trust in the company had
>>> evaporated.
>> The only sensible use for the Alpha was to run microcode as a VAX.
>> When chip manufacturing technology allowed CISC CPUs on a single chip
>> the cost advantages of RISC were over.
>
> I think you'll find there are a few people who will disagree with
> you.

Probably but were they customers of DEC?

The ARM chip is still around in mobile phones but the Acorn desk top
is not.

Andrew Swallow
From: Andrew Swallow on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
> In article <N6CdnbheLacUuJXbnZ2dnUVZ8v-dnZ2d(a)bt.com>,
> Andrew Swallow <am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com> wrote:
>> Del Cecchi wrote:

>>> They probably would have run out of pdp-8 and pdp-11 customers sooner or
>>> later. And by the early 80's I would think those systems were in the
>>> down part of the lifecycle.
>>>
>> We are talking LSI-11 vs 8086. Even if DEC did not sell to the consumer
>> market the $1000 business computer on every desk market is enormous.
>
> And I'm telling you, again, that DEC did not have the infrastructure
> to handle that support. DEC's main business was not retail-ish.

Neither did IBM, so IBM created a new distribution infrastructure.

DEC sold to the technical part of companies - so the salesmen,
warehouses and trucks needed in the first year existed.

Andrew Swallow
From: krw on
In article <DZSdnaHeS49TzpTbnZ2dnUVZ8tXinZ2d(a)bt.com>,
am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com says...
> krw wrote:
> > In article <fqWdnV-JLsRJ_ZXbRVnyiAA(a)bt.com>,
> > am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com says...
> >> Morten Reistad wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> The only sensible use for the Alpha was to run microcode as a VAX.
> >> When chip manufacturing technology allowed CISC CPUs on a single chip
> >> the cost advantages of RISC were over.
> >
> > I think you'll find there are a few people who will disagree with
> > you.
> >
> Probably but were they customers of DEC?

Every Alpha ran VAX microcode? Dunno, never seen a real live Alpha.

Never the less, what DEC's customers did or didn't do has little to
do with the reasons RISC CPUs exist. You pretend that RISC wouldn't
exist without tube logic. How many RISC microprocessors today vs.
RISC. How does legacy software fit into that mix?

> The ARM chip is still around in mobile phones but the Acorn desk top
> is not.

And this has to do with DEC, RISC, or Alpha exactly how? The 8051 is
still around too, but...

--
Keith
From: Andrew Swallow on
David Kanter wrote:
[snip]

> A much more reasonable, and possibly true, assertion would be that the
> advantage of RISC architectures decreased over time. However, even as
> late as the Pentium 1, there was a huge advantage for RISC
> architectures. With the Pentium Pro that became less clear, although
> RISCs still ruled the roost for FP heavy applications.

We can certainly have a nice debate as to whether anything containing
floating point hardware is RISC.

Andrew Swallow