From: Steve O'Hara-Smith on
On 26 Mar 2007 18:26:24 GMT
nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

> Unclear. PDP11s dominated the (computer) communications in the early
> 1980s, even in many sites with System/370 mainframes!

Yeah I seem to recall there being a couple of PDP11s hooked to a
370 in the early 1980s (and late 1970s) not far from you.

--
C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <20070327102529.10d625dd.steveo(a)eircom.net>,
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo(a)eircom.net> writes:

|> > Unclear. PDP11s dominated the (computer) communications in the early
|> > 1980s, even in many sites with System/370 mainframes!
|>
|> Yeah I seem to recall there being a couple of PDP11s hooked to a
|> 370 in the early 1980s (and late 1970s) not far from you.

Yup :-) And we weren't the only such site, because those mainframes
were dire for single-character interactions and related communications
work and peripheral driving.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) writes:
> Unclear. PDP11s dominated the (computer) communications in the early
> 1980s, even in many sites with System/370 mainframes! They were run
> for many years after their official demise, because they were just SO
> much better for the purpose than anything else.

also perkin-elmer as telecommunication clone ... grew-out of
interdata/3 work that four of use worked on when I was undergraduate
in the 60s. i ran into somebody in the 90s ... who said that they sold
a lot of such boxes, especially into gov. agencies well thru the 80s
(also said that they never got around to redesigning the channel
interface board ... appeared to be the wire-wrap board that had been
done at the univ. in the 60s) ... and within this decade ran into one
handling the point-of-sale terminal lines in a tour of a large
transaction processing datacenter.

lots of past posts mentioning having done telecommunication clone with
interdata/3 in the 60s ... and getting blaimed for some part of the
clone controller business
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#360pcm
From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <m38xdin6c1.fsf(a)garlic.com>,
Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn(a)garlic.com> writes:

|> > Unclear. PDP11s dominated the (computer) communications in the early
|> > 1980s, even in many sites with System/370 mainframes! They were run
|> > for many years after their official demise, because they were just SO
|> > much better for the purpose than anything else.
|>
|> also perkin-elmer as telecommunication clone ...

Thanks for the reminder. That was a slightly different use from
the one that I was envisaging, but was definitely one that a 32-bit
PDP-11 could have targetted.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Del Cecchi on
Morten Reistad wrote:
> In article <56qh33F29t3i0U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> Del Cecchi <cecchinospam(a)us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>>Andrew Swallow wrote:

>>>There is no law that bans a company from repeating the same mistake.

>>They probably would have run out of pdp-8 and pdp-11 customers sooner or
>>later. And by the early 80's I would think those systems were in the
>>down part of the lifecycle.
>

> LSI11 based support systems everywhere could have made the mainframes
> last until the 8600 was out, and could have assisted in a transition.
>
> Perhaps. Prime tried this strategy, but got bought out and gutted midway
> in the process.
>
> DEC _did_ come back with the alpha, just as soon as they had managed
> to deVAXify their brains. Except, by then the trust in the company had
> evaporated.
>
> Snake oil, may 17th and all that.
>
> We keep harping on this. I have wondered why. I think this is a discussion
> of today's dangers by proxy.
>
> The important lesson from the events is that you should never, ever
> have a single source for the equipment that runs your business critical
> systems. Even if it is DEC, IBM, HP or a similar blue-chip giant.
>
> Because even DEC folded on us. Not as spectacularly as International
> Harvester a century before, but enough to shake us all.
>
> DEC was a company with a reputation far ahead of today's HP or Microsoft.
> Somewhat like a reconsituted IBM of today, or Intel, or Apple. These companies
> are/were blue-chip giants that constitute a core of IT technology.
>
> But the lesson is that if DEC can implode, so can they.
>
> The lesser ones all imploded. Wang, Prime, Norsk Data, ICL, Honeywell,
> NCR, Siemens, DG and more all imploded in that decade. In our guts,
> we kind of expected somesuch to happen. It was DEC that shook us.
>
> Today we wouldn't be much shaken if HP/Compaq, Dell, Lenovo, TCI, Via, Sun,
> or even AMD implodes. It will be momentarily painful for us as customers,
> but we will migrate elsewhere. Workers and PHB's can follow the business
> that moves without too much trouble.
>
> It is when outfits like Apple, IBM, Intel or Microsoft folds that we
> are shaken, all of us.
>
> The lesson from DEC is that it can happen.
>
> Always have a Plan B.
>
> -- mrr

Note that IBM damn near folded in the early 90's as well during the last
days of the reign of John Akers.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn�t necessarily represent IBM�s positions,