From: jmfbahciv on
<am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com> writes:
>>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

>>> I have a plaque given to JMF for his Alpha work. It is customary
>>> for applications to be recompiled when going from one architecture
>>> to another. This is a fact today.

>>> YOu are grasping at straws. The emulator was a method to help
>>> customer go from one architecture to the other.
>>> I'm coming to the conclusion that you are not interested in learning
>>> a damned thing.
>>
>>No. I am telling you how DEC committed suicide.
>>
>>The customers did not ask to change architectures.
>
>In effect they did.
>VAX/VMS systems cost a lot more but provided worse performance than the
>competive RISC based UNIX systems. Hence many customers were moving to those
>competitors.
>Although DEC could have lowered it's prices it was difficult to see how to
>increase VAX performance in the long term to compete.
>DEC also wanted to move from 32bit to 64bit.
>Hence it made sense to move from VAX to the RISC based 64bit ALPHA.
>
>Note. DEC didn't just drop the VAX. Indeed the NVAX+ systems which came out
at
>the same time as the Alphas really pushed VAX performance but it was still
>worse than Alpha.
>The only real problem with the migration from VAX to ALPHA were
>
>1) The decision to have radically different VMS code-bases which made porting
> new Alpha features back to VAX extremely difficult.
>2) The dropping of lots of layered software products which were simply not
> ported across to Alpha.
>3) The lack of an adequate migration path for their Unix users.

>In a fair number of instances VAX users could fund their move to Alpha out of
>maintenance savings on their old VAX systems.
>However if they didn't want to move to Alpha DEC provided new VAX systems for
>a long period after Alpha was established.
>

>Contrast this to HP's(/Compaq's) move of the DEC customers to Itanium
>
>1) Alpha development killed off before any systems running on Itanium
>2) Itaniums perceived as slower than Alphas
>3) Tru64 killed off. Features of Tru64 promised to be incorporated in HP-UX.
> Features NOT incorporated in HP-UX.
>4) Alpha end of sale date announced without consideration being given to
> how many important software products had yet to be ported to Itanium.
> eg ORACLE for VMS was still not ported a month before the end of sale
date.
> (End of sale date then extended a while after the previous end of sale
date
> had passed. End of sale is now end of April this year).

This was the exact scenario that was done with TOPS-10. TOPS-10
on the PDP-10 was the corporation's workhorse product. The
Alpha running VMS was an equivalent product. (I base this on
listening to the customers who used the product--IOW, real facts.)

>About the only good thing that they learned from DEC was that Alpha and
Itanium
>have the same VMS codebase.
<snip>

/BAH
From: david20 on
In article <9gal035ncoglbdnvkd8m7odgl59o2opg9b(a)4ax.com>, David Powell <ddotpowell(a)icuknet.co.uk> writes:
>In article <Stydndude4YPyJTbRVnygAA(a)bt.com>,
> Andrew Swallow <am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com> in
>alt.folklore.computers wrote:
>
>>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>
> [big snip here]

>>> And I'm telling you, again, that DEC did not have the infrastructure
>>> to handle that support. DEC's main business was not retail-ish.
>>
>>Neither did IBM, so IBM created a new distribution infrastructure.
>>

>Do you remember Hamilton Rentals, or Rapid Recall? They were the two
>distributors appointed by DEC (United Kingdom) in the early 1980s to
>sell the small LSI-11 etc stuff.

Hamilton Rentals still exists see

http://www.hamilton.co.uk

It's now part of the Compel group.

David Webb
Security team leader
CCSS
Middlesex University

From: jmfbahciv on
In article <571q42F2acqvnU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?= <jvorbrueggen(a)not-mediasec.de> wrote:
>[Good and fair, IMO, description of the VAX->Alpha and Alpha->Itanium
transitions]

>> About the only good thing that they learned from DEC was that Alpha and
Itanium
>> have the same VMS codebase.
>
>However, that was only possible because of the earlier VAX-to-Alpha port,
>which had made sure that the VAXism-infested VAX/VMS codebase was transformed
>into something much more portable. Also, the concepts on how to handle the
32-
>to 64-bit transition gracefully had already been validated.

And some of that work was done by JMF, the other half of my
username. It took those with TOPS-10 experience to cause VMS
to evolve to be an OS that was useful. (The work wasn't jsut
JMF's but the whole contingent of PDP-10 developers who moved
to the 32-bit world after the 36-bits were cancelled.)

/BAH

/BAH
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <ih8n03puv0jbp4i04l9vh225qa96luaf94(a)4ax.com>,
Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>fOn Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:53:35 +0100 in alt.folklore.computers, Andrew
>Swallow <am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

>>> What is it with this kid? I had so many woe-is-mes from customers
>>> about having to move to Micshits' stuff at that time. And I
>>> was not privy to the insides. These were people who I'd met on
>>> the newsgroups.
>>
>>The alternatives to the Alpha were VAX/VMS and PDP-11s not X86.
>
>.... and SGI, Sun, IBM, Amdahl, Fujistu, Hitachi.

VAX was not an alternative. It was shortterm.

/BAH

From: jmfbahciv on
In article <mdd7it1m6wj.fsf(a)panix5.panix.com>,
Rich Alderson <news(a)alderson.users.panix.com> wrote:
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:
>
>> In article <mdd7it2xsdl.fsf(a)panix5.panix.com>,
>> Rich Alderson <news(a)alderson.users.panix.com> wrote:
>
>>> Some people believe that if the PDP-10 ran Tops-10, then a machine running
>>> Tops-20 must be a PDP-20, but the reasoning is flawed. Modulo some
>>> differences in I/O,
>
>> I can't think of any; what were you thinking of?
>
>Tops-20 doesn't know how to talk to disks on the I/O bus, only the RH20 (for
>example). I think the only I/O bus peripheral it could talk to was an ARPA
>IMP, but I may misremember how that was connected to the -20.

But none of the gear was sold on a short cabinet system. You could
run TOPS-10 on any PDP-10; you couldn't run TOPS-20 on any PDP-10 :-).
This was a point that DEC customers didn't miss even though people
in DEC wouldn't see.

>>> either operating system will run on the same hardware. I call to your
>>> attention the bright orange box labeled "DECSYSTEM-20" on which I run
>>> Tops-10 for the PDPplanet project (http://www.pdpplanet.org/).
>
>> We used the same machine for stand alone for both OSes. The same
>> was true for the KS CPU model. This was done on purpose.
>
>Yes, and I'm very happy with Tops-10 on the 2065.

I just wish you could have luxury of getting the feel of our SMP
implementation. That will never happen. BEcause of this I will
be having this discussion again and again.

/BAH