From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <6meeue.322.ln(a)via.reistad.name>,
Morten Reistad <first(a)last.name> writes:

|> Lastest pc press blurbs. Vista only runs around 80 of 150
|> identified critical XP applications.

Hasta la vista?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Rich Alderson on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:

> In article <mdd7it2xsdl.fsf(a)panix5.panix.com>,
> Rich Alderson <news(a)alderson.users.panix.com> wrote:

>> Some people believe that if the PDP-10 ran Tops-10, then a machine running
>> Tops-20 must be a PDP-20, but the reasoning is flawed. Modulo some
>> differences in I/O,

> I can't think of any; what were you thinking of?

Tops-20 doesn't know how to talk to disks on the I/O bus, only the RH20 (for
example). I think the only I/O bus peripheral it could talk to was an ARPA
IMP, but I may misremember how that was connected to the -20.

>> either operating system will run on the same hardware. I call to your
>> attention the bright orange box labeled "DECSYSTEM-20" on which I run
>> Tops-10 for the PDPplanet project (http://www.pdpplanet.org/).

> We used the same machine for stand alone for both OSes. The same
> was true for the KS CPU model. This was done on purpose.

Yes, and I'm very happy with Tops-10 on the 2065.

--
Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
news(a)alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |
From: Peter Flass on
Tarkin wrote:
> I hear horror stories of older, but less wise
> people tossing out 1-year old computers because, 'it
> doesn't work right anymore'.

Better for me:-) I pick up good bargains that way.

From: kenney on
In article <crh9ue.mc82.ln(a)via.reistad.name>, first(a)last.name (Morten
Reistad) wrote:

> The important lesson from the events is that you should never, ever
> have a single source for the equipment that runs your business
> critical systems.

I have no idea if this is true but the following is alleged to have
happened to IBM. They required magnetic tape with specific performance
and only had one supplier. This was considered unacceptable and they
finally managed to find a second source. This source charged
considerably more. IBM eventually found out that this was because
supplier two was buying from supplier one and reselling to IBM.

Ken Young
From: CBFalconer on
Nick Maclaren wrote:
> Morten Reistad <first(a)last.name> writes:
>>
>> Lastest pc press blurbs. Vista only runs around 80 of 150
>> identified critical XP applications.
>
> Hasta la vista?

No, Vista hasta go sista.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>