From: Steve O'Hara-Smith on
On Thu, 29 Mar 07 12:30:28 GMT
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

> And some of that work was done by JMF, the other half of my
> username. It took those with TOPS-10 experience to cause VMS
> to evolve to be an OS that was useful.

And it took Microsoft to perform the opposite of incremental
development on it to produce the useless POS it has evolved into.

--
C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
From: Stephen Fuld on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
> In article <571ro8F2bdosvU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?= <jvorbrueggen(a)not-mediasec.de> wrote:
>>> Only for small problems. What do you do in the cases where a
>>> reassembly is the way to make the problem go away?
>> Do a complete SYSGEN?
>
> Yes.

Was there no alternative between patching the object code and doing a
complete sysgen? On the system with which I am most familiar (Non-DEC),
we mostly did partial sysgens where only a small number of modules were
re-assembled and the system linked. Out of say 400 modules in the OS, a
typical gen might assemble half a dozen and a large one perhaps a
hundred. We did full gens (all elements), very rarely.

--
- Stephen Fuld
From: Andrew Swallow on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
> In article <6meeue.322.ln(a)via.reistad.name>,
> Morten Reistad <first(a)last.name> wrote:
[snip]
>> Lastest pc press blurbs. Vista only runs around 80 of 150
>> identified critical XP applications.
>
> So can we make a reasonable assumption that the load tests
> involved all games and not critical apps?

Or the games were written in the last 2 years and developed on
the beta version of Vista.

Andrew Swallow
From: Andrew Swallow on
Jan Vorbr�ggen wrote:
>> Real-world, but your second question is very relevant. The VAX was
>> relatively constant in performance between workloads, but the Alpha
>> varied by an incredible factor (ten or more, on practical workloads).
>
> Yes, and that is a very valid comment. I think there was some COBOL
> program where the VAX was faster than the Alpha, but I don't remember
> whether it was translated or recompiled (the latter case would be even
> more surprising).
>
> I think the factor of 2 came from the benchmark workload that DEC used
> to define "VAX MIPS", so it was actually geared towards the VAX. On
> anything to do with floating point, the Alpha was much faster.
>
> Jan

Did the Alpha have a BCD add instruction? If not the shifting and
masking to add 4 bits at a time would be very slow.

Andrew Swallow
From: krw on
In article <eug9l1$8qk_002(a)s879.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com says...
> In article <56srafF2arjf6U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> Del Cecchi <cecchinospam(a)us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >Morten Reistad wrote:

> >> LSI11 based support systems everywhere could have made the mainframes
> >> last until the 8600 was out, and could have assisted in a transition.
> >>
> >> Perhaps. Prime tried this strategy, but got bought out and gutted midway
> >> in the process.
> >>
> >> DEC _did_ come back with the alpha, just as soon as they had managed
> >> to deVAXify their brains. Except, by then the trust in the company had
> >> evaporated.
> >>
> >> Snake oil, may 17th and all that.
> >>
> >> We keep harping on this. I have wondered why. I think this is a discussion
> >> of today's dangers by proxy.
> >>
> >> The important lesson from the events is that you should never, ever
> >> have a single source for the equipment that runs your business critical
> >> systems. Even if it is DEC, IBM, HP or a similar blue-chip giant.
> >>
> >> Because even DEC folded on us. Not as spectacularly as International
> >> Harvester a century before, but enough to shake us all.
> >>
> >> DEC was a company with a reputation far ahead of today's HP or Microsoft.
> >> Somewhat like a reconsituted IBM of today, or Intel, or Apple. These
> companies
> >> are/were blue-chip giants that constitute a core of IT technology.
> >>
> >> But the lesson is that if DEC can implode, so can they.
> >>
> >> The lesser ones all imploded. Wang, Prime, Norsk Data, ICL, Honeywell,
> >> NCR, Siemens, DG and more all imploded in that decade. In our guts,
> >> we kind of expected somesuch to happen. It was DEC that shook us.
> >>
> >> Today we wouldn't be much shaken if HP/Compaq, Dell, Lenovo, TCI, Via, Sun,
> >> or even AMD implodes. It will be momentarily painful for us as customers,
> >> but we will migrate elsewhere. Workers and PHB's can follow the business
> >> that moves without too much trouble.
> >>
> >> It is when outfits like Apple, IBM, Intel or Microsoft folds that we
> >> are shaken, all of us.
> >>
> >> The lesson from DEC is that it can happen.
> >>
> >> Always have a Plan B.
> >>
> >> -- mrr
> >
> >Note that IBM damn near folded in the early 90's as well during the last
> >days of the reign of John Akers.
>
> Of course. IIRC, IBM had a crisis in the 80s(?); the reason it
> survived that one was due to having enough money to carry them
> through.

The '70s were pretty bad. I remember walking out to the P'ok
production floor and seeing only one or two processors in final test
with "Departent of Agriculture" (going to a three-letter government
agency, sure) in the '70s. The 303x came out in '80 and things were
hopping around P'ok, at least, for the next decade.

--
Keith