From: Joe Pfeiffer on
Andrew Reilly <andrew-newspost(a)areilly.bpc-users.org> writes:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:23:46 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:
>
> > Dunno. I wasn't talking at that level anyway. If DEC had taken
> > the decision to produce a new micro-PDP-11, there would have been
> > a LOT of such issues to resolve.
>
> I played with a nice LSI-11 box at Uni. It wasn't new then, but there
> were plenty of 68000 and a few Z8000 systems around by that time too (both
> of which could reasonably be called -11 clones).

I'd agree with children...
From: Tarkin on
On Mar 30, 3:46 am, CBFalconer <cbfalco...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nick Maclaren wrote:
>
> ... snip ...
>
> > No, but nor could the Z80 compete on industry-quality functionality
> > and reliability. I know quite a few people who used Z80s for that,
> > and they never really cut the mustard for mission-critical tasks
> > (despite being a factor of 10 or more cheaper).
>
> Nonsense. I had 8080 based communications systems that ran
> continuously (no restart) for 2 to 3 years, until brought down by a
> mains power failure.

> Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
> <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

8080 != Z80. ISTR reading from a few different
places that early Z80's were 'twitchy'; that's
also why there are 'undocumented' opcodes-
those opcodes did not work reliably until the kinks
were worked out of the (wafer production [?])
process.

TTFN,
Tarkin

From: Jan Vorbrüggen on
> Did the Alpha have a BCD add instruction? If not the shifting and
> masking to add 4 bits at a time would be very slow.

No, it doesn't. And you don't do BCD arithmetic on a binary machine that way -
Terje recently explained how it's done. With 64-bit integers, you can do up to
16 digits in one go.

My comment, further up in the thread, about translating or recompiling
addressed this issue: AFAIK, the Cobol compiler on the Alpha used 64-bit
integers natively where the VAX compiler was forced to use BCD (which was slow
on later models anyway, I believe).

Jan
From: Jan Vorbrüggen on
> Hmmm. If the VAX and ALPHA instruction sets are now public source then
> clones can be made.

They already exist, but in software rather than in hardware. And if you want
to use VMS natively, buy an Alpha or an Itanium system.

> To keep the general public happy running programs by clicking a mouse
> will be needed. Someone is going to have fun converting clerical
> software like OpenOffice.

VMS has all that, no need to re-invent the wheel.

> VAX/VMS the reliable alternative to Windows PCs.

For sure!

Jan
From: Jan Vorbrüggen on
>>The distinguishing feature of VMS, IMNSHO, is the VMScluster, with the
>>connection manager and the lock manager as the main supporting pieces of
>>software of that capability. TOPS-10 or -20 never had anything like it.
>>Where was Leslie Lamport before this happened? (A lot of the VMScluster stuff
>>is based on his ideas.)
> Oh? That would come as a surprise to the students at LOTS after 1984, when we
> clustered the three 2065s, and eventually the Systems Concepts SC-30M, on the
> CI bus that came with the HSC-50s and RA-81 disks (all invented, BTW, for the
> 36-bit Jupiter). Cross-system resource sharing, central login (a Stanford
> innovation that was taken back by DEC^WDigital for Tops-20 v6.1), and so on.

Was that as closely coupled at all levels of the OS as is the VMScluster? In
any case, who wrote the software you mention above?

Jan