From: David Powell on
In article <eugdic$8qk_012(a)s879.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com in alt.folklore.computers wrote:

>In article <9gal035ncoglbdnvkd8m7odgl59o2opg9b(a)4ax.com>,
> David Powell <ddotpowell(a)icuknet.co.uk> wrote:
>>In article <Stydndude4YPyJTbRVnygAA(a)bt.com>,
>> Andrew Swallow <am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com> in
>>alt.folklore.computers wrote:
>>
>>>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>>
>> [big snip here]

>>>Neither did IBM, so IBM created a new distribution infrastructure.
>>>

>>Do you remember Hamilton Rentals, or Rapid Recall?
>
>No.

I wouldn't expect that you would, my comment was responding to Andrew
S, who, apparently, is not aware of how DEC sold LSI-11etc in the UK.

>> They were the two
>>distributors appointed by DEC (United Kingdom) in the early 1980s to
>>sell the small LSI-11 etc stuff.
>
>I did not say that there were none; AAMOF, I very carefully
>wrote that it wasn't our main business.

See above. Just for the record, in UK, 1980s, DEC were interested in
VAX /VMS to the exclusion of all else.

>>>DEC sold to the technical part of companies - so the salesmen,
>>>warehouses and trucks needed in the first year existed.
>>>

>>Trucks with tail-lifts to move VAXes, LSI-11 stuff came in small
>>cardboard boxes delivered by the postman on his pushbike. :)
>
>Did you require a full-blown soft/hardware maintenance contract?
>The infrastructure to provide is what I'm talking about. Swallow
>is ignoring this aspect of the computer biz on purpose.

Regards,

David P.

From: Rich Alderson on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:

> In article <mddd52rx59j.fsf(a)panix5.panix.com>,
> Rich Alderson <news(a)alderson.users.panix.com> wrote:

>> They wanted 8-bit bytes and power-of-2 words, and nothing was going to
>> change their minds about that.

> Then customers would continue to buy -11s and move the boring grunt work to
> the -10s and their secretaries.

I see that the point was completely missed, and there's no use in trying to fix
it.

--
Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
news(a)alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |
From: Rich Alderson on
Jan Vorbr�ggen <jvorbrueggen(a)not-mediasec.de> writes:

>> Oh? That would come as a surprise to the students at LOTS after 1984, when
>> we clustered the three 2065s, and eventually the Systems Concepts SC-30M, on
>> the CI bus that came with the HSC-50s and RA-81 disks (all invented, BTW,
>> for the 36-bit Jupiter). Cross-system resource sharing, central login (a
>> Stanford innovation that was taken back by DEC^WDigital for Tops-20 v6.1),
>> and so on.

> Was that as closely coupled at all levels of the OS as is the VMScluster? In
> any case, who wrote the software you mention above?

It's monitor-level code, and it's damnably tightly coupled (so much so that we
turned off certain features to avoid cluster-wide hangs if a system crashed).

The names that pop up in the CFS modules are Miller and Raspuzzi. In the MSCP
disk drivers, we find Dunn, Wachs, and McLean. All 36-bit developers, hmm?

From: Rich Alderson on
Jan Vorbr�ggen <jvorbrueggen(a)not-mediasec.de> writes:

>> OK, then my question goes back to Jan and Barb. Why was a full sysgen
>> required or recommended for the situations you guys were talking about?
>> Wouldn't partial gens do the job without the need for the large
>> resource commitment Jan talked about?

> At least for the first 10 years or so, VAX/VMS wasn't structured in a
> sufficiently loose way to make this feasible, IMO - we're talking the core of
> the OS here, of course, not all of the utilities etc. that constitute the
> bulk of the code. However, if you needed to make an interface change at the
> syscall level, you'd need to recompile everything.

> And anyway, I can't think of a problem that would have required a rebuild.
> Significantly upgrading a subsystem, like the batch or print job management,
> would have been much easier with the source - but as I said, DEC customers
^^^
> never considered such things until (too) late, in contrast to IBM's
> customers.

ITYM "VMS". Customers on all the other architectures (16, 12, 18, *and* 36 bit
systems) from DEC did significant mods to all the system software (monitor and
user level), and passed the results around at DECUS and/or sent them back to
DEC for wider distribution.

From: Peter Flass on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
> In article <euggeu$92m$1(a)gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
> nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

>>I was actually thinking from the customer end, but cannot say which
>>was the chicken and which the egg.
>

> Neither could DEC managmeent and their bean counters. They ended
> up ignoring that (I can never remember the correct value) somewhere
> between 60-70% of the mini customers also had at least one PDP-10.
> Most had more.

IBM had and has this problem too. Maybe there's just no way to quantify
it sufficiently for the MBAs that look at this stuff. Many times I've
seen them cancel a product that probably sold lots of other stuff with it.