From: Jan Vorbrüggen on
Of course not - see my other post.

I don't suffer from VMS arrogance - I worked for several years on a dual
PDP-10 system, some of it in parallel with a 780, both serving a whole physics
institute (about 150 users). I know what was (or is) good and bad about these
two systems. _You_ are suffering from PDP-10 nostalgia.

>>>Nah, on the -10 that was at the app level.
>>Sure, but it needed some monitor support, didn't it?
> Not after we shipped V1.0. Sites did not have to put up a new monitor
> just to put up a new distribution of these subsystems.

I said significantly upgrading, not a new distribution.

> YOur definition of reboot and my defintion of reboot is two completely
> different things. Our customers expected a reboot to take a few
> minutes, at the _most_.

Not at all. Just a more intelligent reboot.

Jan
From: Jan Vorbrüggen on
>>Anyway, after the 780 which was at the lower end of reasonable,
>>performance-wise,
> [spluttering emoticon wiping oatmeal off TTY screen]
>
> That is such an understatement, it's already 3/4 of the way to
> China.

No, it's a reasoned assessment. In a significantly smaller package, it offered
about equal horse power than the dual KL-10 system we had. For some jobs, it
was faster, especially after it had enough memory to matter relative to the
KL. And it was much less susceptible for running into resourec deadlocks than
TOPS-10.

Jan
From: Frank McCoy on
In alt.folklore.computers "Tarkin" <Tarkin000(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mar 30, 3:46 am, CBFalconer <cbfalco...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Nick Maclaren wrote:
>>
>> ... snip ...
>>
>> > No, but nor could the Z80 compete on industry-quality functionality
>> > and reliability. I know quite a few people who used Z80s for that,
>> > and they never really cut the mustard for mission-critical tasks
>> > (despite being a factor of 10 or more cheaper).
>>
>> Nonsense. I had 8080 based communications systems that ran
>> continuously (no restart) for 2 to 3 years, until brought down by a
>> mains power failure.
>>
>> --
>> Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
>> Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
>> <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
>>
>> --
>
>8080 != Z80. ISTR reading from a few different
>places that early Z80's were 'twitchy'; that's
>also why there are 'undocumented' opcodes-
>those opcodes did not work reliably until the kinks
>were worked out of the (wafer production [?])
>process.

I'd differ with you about why the opcodes were undocumented.
I wrote a Z-80 emulator that had to implement those opcodes (just in
case). At the time I did, I figured out just why they were
undocumented; and it had nothing to do with the wafer process or
production.

It mainly had to do with the 8080/Z-80 architecture, and the fact that
to do what was originally *wanted* (a type of indirect addressing that
would have been *very* useful) would have taken a major redesign of the
hardware. So, it was easier to leave in what happened by default than
make the opcodes do something really useful. Time constraints, money
available, and management pushed the product on the market before the
engineers could make the chip do what they really wanted it to.

I suspect (and have heard rumors that it's true) that the Z-80 that made
it to market was intended by the engineers as a trial to make sure what
they had already worked; and they intended to complete the process in
the next step of design ... Only the company was running out of money
and if they didn't put out a processor right then, they wouldn't ever do
so because the company would go under first. So, they went with what
they had that worked.

By the time they *could* have fixed things it was way too late; as, like
in so many cases, people wanted a *compatible* product instead of a
better one. In order to sell a Z-80 or replacement, you had to
implement those same undocumented opcodes.

They WERE useful ... Sometimes.
Not *nearly* as useful though, as the true indirect addressing that was
originally intended. In most cases though, the jobs you could do with
the undocumented opcodes were more easily done by the documented ones.

Perhaps somebody who actually worked in the project could correct this.

--
_____
/ ' / ™
From: krw on
In article <euivce$8qk_003(a)s976.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com says...
> In article <MPG.2075a1a27f7217af98a25a(a)news.individual.net>,
> krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote:
> >In article <eug9l1$8qk_002(a)s879.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
> >jmfbahciv(a)aol.com says...

> that
> programs

> particular

> the

> discussion

> Microsoft.
> >> companies

> Sun,
> customers,

> >> Of course. IIRC, IBM had a crisis in the 80s(?); the reason it
> >> survived that one was due to having enough money to carry them
> >> through.
> >>
> >The '70s were pretty bad.
>
> Ah, maybe it was the 70s. I can't remember dates very well.
>
> > I remember walking out to the P'ok
> >production floor and seeing only one or two processors in final test
> >with "Departent of Agriculture" (going to a three-letter government
> >agency, sure)
>
> <GRIN> Right. A lot of farmers were tech-savvy.
>

> >in the '70s. The 303x came out in '80 and things were
> >hopping around P'ok, at least, for the next decade.
>
> JMF used to spy on the productions floors, too, to get a feeling
> of the real business that was getting done.

I wasn't really spying, just making house calls or on my way to
beatings. Kinda made me happy I was working for IBM (hadn't had a
layoff in forty years).

By the late '80s things had changed. I had to make many calls to
Kingston final test (moved from P'ok to Kingston - since closed) for
some crypto problems. I couldn't believe all the systems lined up in
test. There were $20M bills as far as the eye could see.

--
Keith
From: David Powell on
In article <WIidnYPZtOApLZfbRVnyhgA(a)bt.com>,
Andrew Swallow <am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com> in
alt.folklore.computers wrote:

>David Powell wrote:
>> In article <Stydndude4YPyJTbRVnygAA(a)bt.com>,
>> Andrew Swallow <am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com> in
>[snip]
>

>> Do you remember Hamilton Rentals, or Rapid Recall? They were the two
>> distributors appointed by DEC (United Kingdom) in the early 1980s to
>> sell the small LSI-11 etc stuff.
>>
>>> DEC sold to the technical part of companies - so the salesmen,
>>> warehouses and trucks needed in the first year existed.
>>>

>> Trucks with tail-lifts to move VAXes, LSI-11 stuff came in small
>> cardboard boxes delivered by the postman on his pushbike. :)
>
>When delivering one at a time the post may do but 20 off LSI-20 at a
>time the trucks are better.

Nit-pick.
If you mean LSI-11/2, one of those in its cardboard box will fit into
my jacket pocket. :)

Regards,

David P.