From: Jan Vorbrüggen on
> VMS and Tru64 users have long since learned that published roadmaps are not
> worth the paper you would waste printing them out.

Alpha users, yes. VMS - why would you say that? Oh, you mean you had to
"migrate" to a new processor? So what - everytime you "upgrade" a Microsoft
OS, you need to move to a new processor, and there's not much help in keeping
your existing data in a useable state, because the "upgrade" is mostly
"install and copy".

Jan
From: Jan Vorbrüggen on
> Really? Most of TOPS-10's rebuilds had to do with hardware changing,
> not software.

That's just a reboot, in almost all cases.

>>And anyway, I can't think of a problem that would have required a rebuild.
>>Significantly upgrading a subsystem, like the batch or print job management,
> Nah, on the -10 that was at the app level.

Sure, but it needed some monitor support, didn't it?

> Our device tables, command tables, and all fields associated with them
> were generated by macros based on the questions answered at MONGEN
> time (a program that queried the sysmanger what hardware and software
> features he wanted to put on his computer system). The best
> way to make any changes to those would be to do it the "right way".
> Fumble fingers can destroy machines.

Definitely. But there's no need to rebuild everything: just do the sizing
during reboot.

Jan
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <574edpF2bg1n6U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?= <jvorbrueggen(a)not-mediasec.de> wrote:
>> An example where a rebuild would be necessary is if the original
>> build goofed the MONGEN (that was the questionaire the monitor
>> used to determine which hardware devices, tables (lengths) etc.
>> would be on the system it was supposed to run.
>
>Just reboot.

Nope. If you don't have the software, you have to a rebuild.

>> Another reason would have been if a table or list was too short
>> and extending it via patching would create more problems. It
>> would be a more controlled experiment if the list were extended
>> via a rebuild rather than patching.
>
>Just reboot.

Nope. YOu keep assuming that all tables were extensible. I'll
guarantee you they were not.

>> PS. Extending fields would be a better reason for a rebuild.
>
>Agreed.
>
>> Another reason to do a build would be to incorporate the thousands
>> "patches" you had done to make sure that all would work as
>> coded in the sources. That way you can resume your debugging
>> and testing with a monitor that you know has all fixes set in
>> ASCII bits. This was one of the most important steps in our
>> source maintenance procedures.
>
>That's why the VMS guys do their nightly build. No reason for a customer to
do
>that.

Of course a customer would to that IF the customer had sources and
was implementing its own device or channel or bus. One of the
reasons customers loved PDP-10s is because they could add their
own home-grown software and hardware. With the advent of the VMS/VAX
replacement, DEC^WDigital sent the message to _all_ their customers
that customers were too stupid to do any of their own system work.

/BAH

/BAH
From: Charlton Wilbur on

>> With PCs the user companies set up their own support teams.

BAH> Wrong.

Companies don't do this?

Oddly enough, BAH, there's a person employed by the company I work for
whose *sole* job it is to keep the Windows machines running. And I
see frequent jobs for "system administrators" -- people whose task it
is to keep the Unix machines running -- and "help desk operators" --
people whose task it is to field internal questions.

Are you telling me that your average office worker, when he has a
problem with his PC, calls Microsoft?

>> Windows needs more support people than Unix.

BAH> Wrong.

Not borne out by several TCO studies or by the experiences of anyone
who's worked in a mixed environment.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
cwilbur(a)chromatico.net
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <574eopF2bg1n6U3(a)mid.individual.net>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?= <jvorbrueggen(a)not-mediasec.de> wrote:
>> Really? Most of TOPS-10's rebuilds had to do with hardware changing,
>> not software.
>
>That's just a reboot, in almost all cases.

You are suffering from VMS arrogance; you keep assuming that the
only hardware in the world was that which was supplied by VMS
development group. It was not. There were other hardware out
in the world; it usually had logos of IBM, Sun, Prime, Dumfuck,
KFC, etc.

>>>And anyway, I can't think of a problem that would have required a rebuild.
>>>Significantly upgrading a subsystem, like the batch or print job
management,
>> Nah, on the -10 that was at the app level.
>
>Sure, but it needed some monitor support, didn't it?

Not after we shipped V1.0. Sites did not have to put up a new monitor
just to put up a new distribution of these subsystems.

>> Our device tables, command tables, and all fields associated with them
>> were generated by macros based on the questions answered at MONGEN
>> time (a program that queried the sysmanger what hardware and software
>> features he wanted to put on his computer system). The best
>> way to make any changes to those would be to do it the "right way".
>> Fumble fingers can destroy machines.
>
>Definitely. But there's no need to rebuild everything: just do the sizing
>during reboot.

YOur definition of reboot and my defintion of reboot is two completely
different things. Our customers expected a reboot to take a few
minutes, at the _most_.

/BAH