From: david20 on
In article <574ejhF2bg1n6U2(a)mid.individual.net>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?= <jvorbrueggen(a)not-mediasec.de> writes:
>> VMS and Tru64 users have long since learned that published roadmaps are not
>> worth the paper you would waste printing them out.
>
>Alpha users, yes. VMS - why would you say that? Oh, you mean you had to
>"migrate" to a new processor? So what - everytime you "upgrade" a Microsoft
>OS, you need to move to a new processor, and there's not much help in keeping
>your existing data in a useable state, because the "upgrade" is mostly
>"install and copy".

Sorry maybe I should have said Alpha VMS and TRU64 users. However since Tru64
only ever ran on Alpha and we were talking about Alpha chip roadmaps I thought
it an unnecessary qualification.

As to HP's current roadmaps for Itanium.
Given Itaniums position in the marketplace vis-a-vis x86-64 and the fact that
one reason given for the Alphacide was that COMPAQ/HP wanted to consolidate all
their systems onto a single chip architecture. It would be naive of any VMS
Alpha user to place too much faith in HP's Itanium roadmaps.

David Webb
Security team leader
CCSS
Middlesex University

From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <pan.2007.03.30.13.08.03.59086(a)areilly.bpc-users.org>,
Andrew Reilly <andrew-newspost(a)areilly.bpc-users.org> writes:

|> > None of those could hold a candle to the PDP-11 for peripheral driving
|> > of the sort I am referring to. My colleagues tried all of them, and
|> > had major difficulties getting round their restrictions.
|>
|> That's an interesting assertion. How so? All three were
|> close-to-unpipelined 16-bit processors with about eight general purpose
|> registers (double-ish on the 68k), running at a few MHz, and similar
|> sorts of OS support (not counting some instruction restart failure that
|> turned out to be in the 68k), and a very simple, traditional vectored
|> interrupt scheme. What makes the -11 better? DMA bus-mastering in the
|> peripherals? Not in the LSI-11 box that I got to use. I can imagine
|> heroic peripheral designs if you really wanted that sort of thing, but I
|> reckon that one of the other micros would have done as well with the same
|> setup.

In some cases, it was reliability. In other cases, it was the interfaces
they supported. In others, it was details of the interrupt mechanism
and/or scheduling. I can't tell you the details, as I was not directly
involved. If I recall, in the case of the LSI-11, it was the last two;
inter alia, it did not support some of the interfaces needed and the
interrupt handling had some difference that caused trouble.

What I can tell you is that none of the people I knew (and not just the
ones here) migrated from their PDP-11s until they really had to, and the
LSI-11 was not regarded as an adequate substitute.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <mddd52rx59j.fsf(a)panix5.panix.com>,
Rich Alderson <news(a)alderson.users.panix.com> wrote:
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:
>
>> In article <716n03dfp130mbs5bge8tbknp4v78sh1pa(a)4ax.com>,
>> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>>> fOn 27 Mar 2007 08:43:47 GMT in alt.folklore.computers,

>>> They did a good commercial business with 11/70s running RSTS/E, IAS,
>>> RSX-11D as departmental minis, but growing companies wanting to get away
>>> from file processing, use databases, handle more users and functions,
>>> without proliferating machine counts, had no growth path with Digital.
>
>> Of course they did. Why do you think we sold PDP-10s?
>
>I had those conversations with -11 folks at DECUS.
>
>From the point of view of PDP-11 users, the PDP-10 was *not* a viable
>replacement.

You were talking about a growth path. That is not the same as
a replacement.

>They wanted 8-bit bytes and power-of-2 words, and nothing was
>going to change their minds about that.

Then customers would continue to buy -11s and move the boring grunt
work to the -10s and their secretaries.

/BAH
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <euggeu$92m$1(a)gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

>|> It could be the way DEC tracked the sales. PDP-10 product line
>|> never got any "credit" for all the minis it sold.
>
>I was actually thinking from the customer end, but cannot say which
>was the chicken and which the egg.

Neither could DEC managmeent and their bean counters. They ended
up ignoring that (I can never remember the correct value) somewhere
between 60-70% of the mini customers also had at least one PDP-10.
Most had more.

/BAH
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> writes:
> FS wasn't the big problem. No income was a a far bigger problem.
> The economy of the mid '70s was horrid. With inflation going into
> the double digits it takes some pair to lay out a few megabux on
> blinkin' lights.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#11 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?

Huge amount of money was spent on FS project ... and while everybody
was distracted by FS project ... there weren't a lot of people minding
the 370 store ... and then with the death of FS ... there was enormous
amount of scurring about trying to make up for lost time ... trying to
get stuff into the 370 pipeline (to market/sell)

from
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/
starting with
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/history/decade_1970.html

yr revenue net
70 7.5b 1.01b
71 8.27b 1.07b
72 9.53b 1.27b
73 10.99b 1.57b
74 12.67b 1.83b
75 14.43b 1.99b
76 16.3b 2.39b
77 18.13b 2.71b
78 21.07b 3.11b
79 22.86b 3.01b

and

92 64.52b -4.96b

and comment about product for gov. agencies, some of it was possibly
related to
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/list-archive/0409/8362.cfm

above science center reference is of course 545 tech sq
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

also Boyd ran NKP ("spook base") 72-73 ... in one of Boyd biographies, it
mentioned that it represeted a $2.5B "windfall" for IBM

past posts mentioning $2.5B windfall
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005m.html#22 Old Computers and Moisture don't mix - fairly OT
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005m.html#23 Old Computers and Moisture don't mix - fairly OT
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005m.html#24 Old Computers and Moisture don't mix - fairly OT
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005t.html#1 Dangerous Hardware
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006q.html#37 Was FORTRAN buggy?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006q.html#38 Was FORTRAN buggy?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#49 Where can you get a Minor in Mainframe?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#50 Where can you get a Minor in Mainframe?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006x.html#18 The Future of CPUs: What's After Multi-Core?

misc. collected posts mentioning Boyd:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subboyd.html#boyd
and URLs from around the web mentioning Boyd:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subboyd.html#boyd2