From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
Peter Flass <Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com> writes:
> IBM had and has this problem too. Maybe there's just no way to
> quantify it sufficiently for the MBAs that look at this stuff. Many
> times I've seen them cancel a product that probably sold lots of
> other stuff with it.

gov litigation threw a big monkey wrench into such considerations
.... which also led to 23jun69 unbundling announcement and the
change-over to charging for software
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#unbundle

each individual component had to have its own price and profit
and be justified purely based on the specific item's profit
.... w/o consideration of possible synergy with other things.

there had been a lot of synergy among components in the 60s
(i.e. bundled) ... but with unbundling ... it started to unravel
.... customers were expected to (effectively) justify paying for each
individual component (theoritically w/o regard to any synergy). In
such an environment ... there were difficulties not only for vendors
but also in the customer ranks.
From: Andrew Swallow on
David Powell wrote:
> In article <eugdic$8qk_012(a)s879.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
> jmfbahciv(a)aol.com in alt.folklore.computers wrote:
>
>> In article <9gal035ncoglbdnvkd8m7odgl59o2opg9b(a)4ax.com>,
>> David Powell <ddotpowell(a)icuknet.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In article <Stydndude4YPyJTbRVnygAA(a)bt.com>,
>>> Andrew Swallow <am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com> in

>>> [big snip here]

>>> Do you remember Hamilton Rentals, or Rapid Recall?
>> No.
>>

> I wouldn't expect that you would, my comment was responding to Andrew
> S, who, apparently, is not aware of how DEC sold LSI-11etc in the UK.

I remember Rapid Recall.

From: krw on
In article <460d9c5a$0$1428$4c368faf(a)roadrunner.com>,
Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com says...
> jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
> > In article <euggeu$92m$1(a)gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
> > nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

> >>I was actually thinking from the customer end, but cannot say which
> >>was the chicken and which the egg.
> >

> > Neither could DEC managmeent and their bean counters. They ended
> > up ignoring that (I can never remember the correct value) somewhere
> > between 60-70% of the mini customers also had at least one PDP-10.
> > Most had more.
> >

> IBM had and has this problem too. Maybe there's just no way to quantify
> it sufficiently for the MBAs that look at this stuff. Many times I've
> seen them cancel a product that probably sold lots of other stuff with it.

We constantly were up against that problem in the crypto group. We
could point to systems that wouldn't have been sold were it not for
ICRF (take-aways from Hitachi, IIRC) but the CPU sales team claimed
them. Since our profits were minimal (intended as a differentiator)
we were up against cancelation every six months or so. When the
layoffs came to the Hudson Valley ('93) we were rather nervous (we
were spared for some unknown reason and I found a life raft to the
frozen North).

--
Keith
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> writes:
> Sure, but you forgot the 3081 series in there. The 303x series was
> needed because the 3081 technology (originally intended for FS)
> wasn't going to be ready when needed. TCMs, and all that, took a lot
> more work than expected. OTOH, the 303x was pretty much a remapped
> 3168 (with differences you've noted) so could be pushed out the door
> quickly. The 3033 was ready when the economy turned up in '80ish.
> The 3081 wouldn't have been and kabillion$ would have been left on
> the table.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#17 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?

we didn't co-op any of the 3081 processor engineers ... just the guys
working on 3033 ... so I knew much less about what the 3081 guys were
doing ... other than i think they got to play leapfrog, the
kingston(?) engineers doing the 3081 while the pok engineers did the
3033, who then went on to do trout/3090.

i.e. get 3033 out in half the time (4-5 years) while it was taking 7-8
years to get 3081 out (as soon as 3033 was out the door ... switch to
trout/3090 in parallel with finishing 3081) ... or ... are we
possibly in violent agreement.

one of the suspicions was that the "i/o" in the 158, 303x channel
director and 3081 had similar characteristics/profile ... i was doing
tests on latency involving different vendor disks, different vendor
controllers, channels and processors ... related to disk head-switch.
3081, 303x channel director and 158 elapsed latencies were nearly
identical. i/o commands in "channel programs" were executed end-to-end
syncronous ... with programs residing in processor memory ... so
end-to-end latency on each command involved processor memory, channel,
control unit, device (and various cable lengths)

you have channel program that reads record on one track and then does
a head switch to a different track ... and attempts to read the next
record ... how much has the disk continued to rotate while the
processing of the head switch command is being processed.

past posts mentioning doing variety of head-switch latencies tests
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000d.html#7 4341 was "Is a VAX a mainframe?"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000d.html#11 4341 was "Is a VAX a mainframe?"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000d.html#12 4341 was "Is a VAX a mainframe?"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001j.html#3 YKYGOW...
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002b.html#17 index searching
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003g.html#22 303x, idals, dat, disk head settle, and other rambling folklore
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004d.html#64 System/360 40 years old today
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004d.html#65 System/360 40 years old today
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004d.html#66 System/360 40 years old today
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004e.html#41 Infiniband - practicalities for small clusters
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004h.html#43 Hard disk architecture: are outer cylinders still faster than inner cylinders?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005p.html#38 storage key question
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005s.html#22 MVCIN instruction
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006r.html#40 REAL memory column in SDSF
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006t.html#19 old vm370 mitre benchmark
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#8 Why these original FORTRAN quirks?

From: CBFalconer on
Jan Vorbr�ggen wrote:

.... snip ...

> Incidentally, the one non-standard device on our PDP-10 dual-processor
> KL (IIRC) was _not_ home-grown, but actually built by DEC for a small
> number of customers analysing CERN bubble chamber images - it was a
> high-speed memory-to-memory interface between a PDP-11 and a PDP-10.
> So there.

If you are at CERN you may know what happened to Dan Pop. He seems
to have dropped off the face of the earth.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>