From: jmfbahciv on
In article <MPG.2077890e34e0efbb98a26e(a)news.individual.net>,
krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote:
>In article <460d9c5a$0$1428$4c368faf(a)roadrunner.com>,
>Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com says...
>> jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

>> > Neither could DEC managmeent and their bean counters. They ended
>> > up ignoring that (I can never remember the correct value) somewhere
>> > between 60-70% of the mini customers also had at least one PDP-10.
>> > Most had more.
>> >

>> IBM had and has this problem too. Maybe there's just no way to quantify
>> it sufficiently for the MBAs that look at this stuff. Many times I've
>> seen them cancel a product that probably sold lots of other stuff with it.
>>
>We constantly were up against that problem in the crypto group. We
>could point to systems that wouldn't have been sold were it not for
>ICRF (take-aways from Hitachi, IIRC) but the CPU sales team claimed
>them. Since our profits were minimal (intended as a differentiator)
>we were up against cancelation every six months or so. When the
>layoffs came to the Hudson Valley ('93) we were rather nervous (we
>were spared for some unknown reason and I found a life raft to the
>frozen North).

Yup. And think of all the funcking money spent trying to cancel
and then justify keeping the group around. You could have "made"
millions more by simply not discussing it.

/BAH
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <mamq03dmqlofcpdshgm9d1j03cvm64629b(a)4ax.com>,
David Powell <ddotpowell(a)icuknet.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <eugdic$8qk_012(a)s879.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
> jmfbahciv(a)aol.com in alt.folklore.computers wrote:
>
>>In article <9gal035ncoglbdnvkd8m7odgl59o2opg9b(a)4ax.com>,
>> David Powell <ddotpowell(a)icuknet.co.uk> wrote:
>>>In article <Stydndude4YPyJTbRVnygAA(a)bt.com>,
>>> Andrew Swallow <am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com> in

>>> [big snip here]

>>>Do you remember Hamilton Rentals, or Rapid Recall?
>>
>>No.
>>

>I wouldn't expect that you would, my comment was responding to Andrew
>S, who, apparently, is not aware of how DEC sold LSI-11etc in the UK.

Ah, OK.

>>> They were the two
>>>distributors appointed by DEC (United Kingdom) in the early 1980s to
>>>sell the small LSI-11 etc stuff.
>>
>>I did not say that there were none; AAMOF, I very carefully
>>wrote that it wasn't our main business.
>
>See above. Just for the record, in UK, 1980s, DEC were interested in
>VAX /VMS to the exclusion of all else.

Just for the record, DEC was interested in that to the exclusion of
all else in the Mill, too.

/BAH

From: jmfbahciv on
In article <1aur03tql3t2v405qug9d1b0s5m646812v(a)4ax.com>,
Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Mar 07 12:31:51 GMT in alt.folklore.computers,
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>
>>In article <ih8n03puv0jbp4i04l9vh225qa96luaf94(a)4ax.com>,
>> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>>>fOn Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:53:35 +0100 in alt.folklore.computers, Andrew

VAX.
>>chip

>>>.... and SGI, Sun, IBM, Amdahl, Fujistu, Hitachi.
>>
>>VAX was not an alternative. It was shortterm.
>
>VAX was the only system ever marketed by Digital.

And that should tell you something.

/BAH
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <jour03h8somdd913n1f5ugrf5tt8aih6ur(a)4ax.com>,
Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>fOn Thu, 29 Mar 07 12:53:25 GMT in alt.folklore.computers,
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>
>>In article <eue2f9$3o5$1(a)gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
>> nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

RISC

>>>Real-world, but your second question is very relevant. The VAX was
>>>relatively constant in performance between workloads, but the Alpha
>>>varied by an incredible factor (ten or more, on practical workloads).
>>
>>Where were the bottlenecks on the Alphas you saw? My guess would
>>be disk. That would be normal in the evolution of system gear
>>development.
>
>You stick in a lot of controllers and a lot of arms and the I/O problems
>go away. You only have problems when the h/w or s/w can't handle that
>number of controllers or arms.
>PPoE had PDP-11/70s close to maxing out theoretical drive performance,
>and with same h/w, VAX did no better, worse with multiple interactive
>terminal loads, until DECservers became available, acting as outboard
>muxes or FEs.
>
>How many FE machines could you attach to a PDP-10?

The guy Abbott gave a talk at a DECUS about using the
-10 to collect data from lab animals. I think they
used the DC-10 (that sound like the wrong cybercrud)
to hang each front end.

As for comm flavored FEs, after the ethernet, the node
limit, if routing was 1000 (IIRC), and if it was an end
node, nobody cared how many were in the network.

/BAH
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <970s03tmilpgk1503irit6169vprteghtf(a)4ax.com>,
Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Mar 07 12:39:33 GMT in alt.folklore.computers,
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>
>>In article <460a8553$0$8961$4c368faf(a)roadrunner.com>,
>> Peter Flass <Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>I got excited when I heard Dell was going to (again) ship retail PCs
>>>with Linux. Then I contacted support and found out they're going to
>>>pre-load some dumb version of DOS, and sell Linux separately. While
>>>everyone here would have no trouble installing a new OS, non-M$ systems
>>>will continue to lag until they're available pre-loaded and
>>>pre-configured. M$ knows this, and I'm sure their fingerprintes are all
>>>over everything.
>>
>>When JMF was dying (1994) and needed a laptop in order to speak, I
>>tried to order one from Dell. I was told that it would take
>>six months to install Unix. I'm an auld OS babe and smelt the
>>rat.
>
>>I have not tested this part of the OS biz since then.
>
>My first Linux install was 30 minutes from opening the Slackware CD
>wrapper to running the OS with an alternate boot to DOS/Windows.
>It then took longer just to config a customized kernel to support needed
>drivers and eliminate unnecessary ones; the kernel source rebuild took
>much longer.

Sigh! Even a moby IBM install from scratch didn't take six months.

/BAH