From: krw on
In article <cde11354m4g8i66f255ff4q38r46orqh0n(a)4ax.com>,
Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid says...
> On 29 Mar 2007 18:11:18 GMT in alt.folklore.computers,
> nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

> >That was a bit misleading. IBM was outsourcing quite a lot of its
> >actual production by then - to places like Glasgow (if I recall),
> >though still IBM subsidiaries.
>
> Havant (UK) and Yasu (Japan) for 3033; Boeblingen for some 4300
> processors: Greenock was only ever terminals (maybe later some kind of
> PC) AFAIR. Peripherals were pretty widespread.

Moving production to your own facilities in other countries isn't
what I would call "outsourcing".

--
Keith
From: kenney on
In article <460fbf13$0$336$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl>,
toon(a)moene.indiv.nluug.nl (Toon Moene) wrote:

> while my Exidy Sorcerer (with a 2
> Mhz Z80) did all these undocumented opcodes just fine (bought Dec.
> 80, used until late '83).

My Video Geni was fine with them but the documented calls did all I
needed and the assembler understood them which was more than it did for
the undocumented ones.

Ken Young
From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <MPG.207af349183b2ac98a2a0(a)news.individual.net>,
krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> writes:
|> In article <cde11354m4g8i66f255ff4q38r46orqh0n(a)4ax.com>,
|> Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid says...

|> > Havant (UK) and Yasu (Japan) for 3033; Boeblingen for some 4300
|> > processors: Greenock was only ever terminals (maybe later some kind of
|> > PC) AFAIR. Peripherals were pretty widespread.
|> >
|> Moving production to your own facilities in other countries isn't
|> what I would call "outsourcing".

Fine. That is irrelevant to my point. The fact that Poughkeepsie was
near-idle is not proof that IBM wasn't selling systems.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: krw on
In article <eurg8u$rer$1(a)gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>, nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk
says...

> In article <MPG.207af349183b2ac98a2a0(a)news.individual.net>,
> krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> writes:
> |> In article <cde11354m4g8i66f255ff4q38r46orqh0n(a)4ax.com>,
> |> Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid says...

> |> Moving production to your own facilities in other countries isn't
> |> what I would call "outsourcing".
>
> Fine. That is irrelevant to my point. The fact that Poughkeepsie was
> near-idle is not proof that IBM wasn't selling systems.

I'm not sure when Havant, Yasu, and Boeb (there was one in S. America
too, IIRC) came on-line. I believe it was during the 3033 ramp. I
was talking about before, I.e. 3168. The fact is that the economy
sucked in the '70s and IBM was feeling it. Hard.

--
Keith
From: Walter Bushell on
In article <MPG.207af1c58caebfc498a29f(a)news.individual.net>,
krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote:

> In article <a082135mvbkatdo80f6fm2cs4kgt5t8kpf(a)4ax.com>,
> mccoyf(a)millcomm.com says...
> > In alt.folklore.computers Brian Inglis
> > <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
> >
> > >Buffer overflow is a bug caused by amateurs masquerading as programmers.
> >
> > ... Or deliberately caused by hackers trying to break a system.
>
> No, if there wasn't a loose nut behind the original keyboard the
> hacker wouldn't have a chance at a buffer overflow. The fact that it
> *can* be overflowed shows a poor design.

Could be bad design or bad implementation. It's something an
applications programmer should not have to worry about. The more things
that a programmer has to concentrate on the more things elude attention.