From: Brian Inglis on
On Mon, 02 Apr 07 11:53:42 GMT in alt.folklore.computers,
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

>In article <mv8113db7op5afc3p181q92gtsjbtg10mk(a)4ax.com>,
> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>>fOn 29 Mar 2007 22:10:41 -0700 in alt.folklore.computers, "Tarkin"
>><Tarkin000(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>>8080 != Z80. ISTR reading from a few different
>>>places that early Z80's were 'twitchy'; that's
>>>also why there are 'undocumented' opcodes-
>>>those opcodes did not work reliably until the kinks
>>>were worked out of the (wafer production [?])
>>>process.
>>
>>Nonsense. Undocumented opcodes tend to be a side effect of a particular
>>implementation of an architecture: that implementation does this if you
>>set those bits in an instruction. That's why they're undocumented: if
>>they change the implementation, the side effects of setting those bits
>>may produce a different result.
>
>DEC documented all of its opcodes. Those that were not used
>were documented as "Reserved for future use".

Some documented opcodes did different things on different
implementations, making it possible to determine what kind of CPU you
were running on, based on the bugs.

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
From: kenney on
In article <20070402223835.85584adc.steveo(a)eircom.net>,
steveo(a)eircom.net (Steve O'Hara-Smith) wrote:

> I don't think that's the issue - more that there exists popular
> software that runs under older versions of Windows that will not run
> under Vista

Apparently the security settings have been changed. I don't know the
details but older programs that expected to install into C:/ Program
Files are going to have problems. That is not the only problem but it
will do to start with. There have also been reports of problems with
upgrades. Apparently the best bet to get a working system is to buy a
new machine with Vista pre-installed. Upgrade prices are ridiculous
anyway.

Ken Young
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <a082135mvbkatdo80f6fm2cs4kgt5t8kpf(a)4ax.com>,
Frank McCoy <mccoyf(a)millcomm.com> wrote:
>In alt.folklore.computers Brian Inglis
><Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>
>>Buffer overflow is a bug caused by amateurs masquerading as programmers.
>
>.... Or deliberately caused by hackers trying to break a system.

You people need some DDT fixes.

/BAH
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <proto-6CE80E.14515402042007(a)032-325-625.area1.spcsdns.net>,
Walter Bushell <proto(a)oanix.com> wrote:
>In article <MPG.207af1c58caebfc498a29f(a)news.individual.net>,
> krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>> In article <a082135mvbkatdo80f6fm2cs4kgt5t8kpf(a)4ax.com>,
>> mccoyf(a)millcomm.com says...

>> > ... Or deliberately caused by hackers trying to break a system.
>>
>> No, if there wasn't a loose nut behind the original keyboard the
>> hacker wouldn't have a chance at a buffer overflow. The fact that it
>> *can* be overflowed shows a poor design.
>
>Could be bad design or bad implementation. It's something an
>applications programmer should not have to worry about. The more things
>that a programmer has to concentrate on the more things elude attention.

None of you have obviously done any monitor development (as your primary
job).

/BAH
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <78f6135k6rr5bb351idferugd478t852ba(a)4ax.com>,
Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>On Mon, 02 Apr 07 11:53:42 GMT in alt.folklore.computers,
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>
>>In article <mv8113db7op5afc3p181q92gtsjbtg10mk(a)4ax.com>,
>> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>>>fOn 29 Mar 2007 22:10:41 -0700 in alt.folklore.computers, "Tarkin"

>>>Nonsense. Undocumented opcodes tend to be a side effect of a particular
>>>implementation of an architecture: that implementation does this if you
>>>set those bits in an instruction. That's why they're undocumented: if
>>>they change the implementation, the side effects of setting those bits
>>>may produce a different result.
>>
>>DEC documented all of its opcodes. Those that were not used
>>were documented as "Reserved for future use".
>
>Some documented opcodes did different things on different
>implementations, making it possible to determine what kind of CPU you
>were running on, based on the bugs.

Those should have been fixed. The -10s provided a way to ask.
It is a feature to get an answer that matches what you think you
have.

/BAH