From: Rich Alderson on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:

> In article <rm8u13d6epff3j0t35arr37ckqem4uns73(a)4ax.com>,
> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:

>> Most OSes, including DEC, had numbers "hardwired" in the software, for
>> disk drives, models, geometries, and capacities.

> Huh? Do this exercise. RUN MONGEN and then answer the questions.

Which simply asks *if* you have any of the recognized peripheral types, and if
you do, *how many* of them you want to support in your configured monitor. But
that simply ends up including or not including the "'hardwired' numbers" for
those devices by including the appropriate drivers or not.

There's no disagreement here.

--
Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
news(a)alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |
From: Eric Smith on
nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) writes:
> No, but nor could the Z80 compete on industry-quality functionality and
> reliability.

The Z80 was *much* more reliable than any PDP-11 system, which is not
surprising since it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

There's no reason why a Z80-based system could not have been made
as reliable as a PDP-11 system. Possibly some were, but certainly
not your average cheap hobbyist-grade Z80 computers, running cheap
hobbyist-grade software.

> I know quite a few people who used Z80s for that, and they
> never really cut the mustard for mission-critical tasks

I saw quite a few Z80s used for mission-critical critical tasks.

More Z80s have been used for LIFE-critical tasks than the total
number of PDP-11 computers manufactured.
From: Terje Mathisen on
Eric Smith wrote:
> nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) writes:
>> I know quite a few people who used Z80s for that, and they
>> never really cut the mustard for mission-critical tasks
>
> I saw quite a few Z80s used for mission-critical critical tasks.

Back in 1981 we had 12 (or 16?) channel 'Acoustic Emission' gear using a
dedicated Z80 per channel, this was used for monitoring stuff like
building platforms, offshore oil rigs and other relatively
'mission-critical' applications.

> More Z80s have been used for LIFE-critical tasks than the total
> number of PDP-11 computers manufactured.

Almost certainly true.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com>
From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <5jp6f4-d3b.ln1(a)osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>,
Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com> writes:

|> > I saw quite a few Z80s used for mission-critical critical tasks.
|>
|> Back in 1981 we had 12 (or 16?) channel 'Acoustic Emission' gear using a
|> dedicated Z80 per channel, this was used for monitoring stuff like
|> building platforms, offshore oil rigs and other relatively
|> 'mission-critical' applications.

The context of this thread was computer communications, which has
rather different requirements. I can't tell you what the problems
were in detail, but they were more to do with "operating system"
functions and peripheral driving than simply not crashing due to
hardware problems.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <mddd5285dtk.fsf(a)panix5.panix.com>,
Rich Alderson <news(a)alderson.users.panix.com> wrote:
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:
>
>> In article <rm8u13d6epff3j0t35arr37ckqem4uns73(a)4ax.com>,
>> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Most OSes, including DEC, had numbers "hardwired" in the software, for
>>> disk drives, models, geometries, and capacities.
>
>> Huh? Do this exercise. RUN MONGEN and then answer the questions.
>
>Which simply asks *if* you have any of the recognized peripheral types, and
if
>you do, *how many* of them you want to support in your configured monitor.

That was a maximum number, not a hard-wired number of the device.
The reason for this was to reserve enough bits in certain fields.
We hadn't figured out how to extend field sizes while running the
monitor; today's lingo calls this plug'n'play.

> But
>that simply ends up including or not including the "'hardwired' numbers" for
>those devices by including the appropriate drivers or not.
>
>There's no disagreement here.

The only hardwired numbers were the numbers the hardware had
hardwired. The purpose of MONGEN was to make as many things
possible a parameter. IOW, not hardwired.

/BAH