From: Walter Bushell on
In article <euvvpj$8qk_010(a)s1007.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

> In article <proto-6CE80E.14515402042007(a)032-325-625.area1.spcsdns.net>,
> Walter Bushell <proto(a)oanix.com> wrote:
> >In article <MPG.207af1c58caebfc498a29f(a)news.individual.net>,
> > krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote:
> >
> >> In article <a082135mvbkatdo80f6fm2cs4kgt5t8kpf(a)4ax.com>,
> >> mccoyf(a)millcomm.com says...

> >> No, if there wasn't a loose nut behind the original keyboard the
> >> hacker wouldn't have a chance at a buffer overflow. The fact that it
> >> *can* be overflowed shows a poor design.
> >
> >Could be bad design or bad implementation. It's something an
> >applications programmer should not have to worry about. The more things
> >that a programmer has to concentrate on the more things elude attention.
>
> None of you have obviously done any monitor development (as your primary
> job).
>
> /BAH

I did say "application programmer", the OS is quite different in the
kernel anyway.
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
> Could be bad design or bad implementation. It's something an
> applications programmer should not have to worry about. The more things
> that a programmer has to concentrate on the more things elude attention.

side drift ... lots of past posts discussing overflow and similar
vulnerabilities
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subintegrity.html#overflow

taken to another level ... you can get into all sorts of discussions
about design of SQL and relational ... vis-a-vis DBMS where
user/programmer has to deal with constructs like record pointers being
exposed as part of the data ... and/or other infrastructure constructs
that are not part of directly solving the problem of interest.

somewhat related recent posts in c.d.t and other venues
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#14 Cycles per ASM instruction
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#31 Quote from comp.object
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#36 Quote from comp.object
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007f.html#66 IBM System z9
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#24 Bidirectional Binary Self-Joins
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#25 Bidirectional Binary Self-Joins
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#26 Bidirectional Binary Self-Joins
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#41 US Airways badmouths legacy system
From: Terje Mathisen on
Brian Inglis wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Apr 07 11:53:42 GMT in alt.folklore.computers,
> jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>> DEC documented all of its opcodes. Those that were not used
>> were documented as "Reserved for future use".
>
> Some documented opcodes did different things on different
> implementations, making it possible to determine what kind of CPU you
> were running on, based on the bugs.

That was the case for early x86 cpus as well:

One 808x clone (possibly NEC?) implemented one of the BCD/ASCII opcodes
as documented, without noticing that the opcode had the decimal 10 as
the second opcode byte: On an Intel cpu you can/could replace that value
with something else, like using 16 to split a byte value into two hex
nibbles.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix on
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.folklore.computers.]

On 2007-03-30, jmfbahciv(a)aol.com <jmfbahciv(a)aol.com> wrote:
>>And the system simply switches to another process while waiting for
>>i/o. No problem.
>>

> It is a problem because the monitor has run every job that was
> runnable and _all_ are now waiting on I/O to complete. Look.
> We saw this.

Yeah, I'm surprised anyone would argue this point.

Anyone who has played the upgrade game with x86 PCs knows about this.

Upgrade my CPU, now my GPU is slow. Upgrade my GPU, and now my hard
drives can't feed the CPU and GPU data fast enough.

Of course, a big problem now is that hard drives aren't catching up.
CPUs and GPUs are leaving them rapidly behind.

You *can* get storage that is fast enough, but the expense is extreme,
and it looks to be that way for some time to come.

Part of the problem is also physical: small systems are just now
starting to get the bus and interconnect speed needed to support faster
external I/O. The graphics bus was the first to get the treatment, and I
think now people area realizing that storage needs a big boost as well.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There are nowadays professors of
philosophy, but not philosophers." ]
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix on
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.folklore.computers.]

> Sigh! I don't know what I'm going to do with you.
> I wasn't talking about new games. The gamers have been
> furiously typing and installing their old games and haven't
> complained.

Actually, Vista has been a nightmare for getting old games to work.