From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:
> How did you ship the software if it had numbers "hardwired" in the
> software? We had to be generic with all the specifics because
> our customers also had multiple systems running software built
> from the same distribution tapes.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#54 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?

you had a (software) table of processor numbers for all known/supported
processors at the time the product shipped ... with associated processor
specific action/values.

rather than doing a store cpuid and then a lot of code that did (inline)
compares for a specific processor type ... and branch to code for that
specific processor type ... there was a (software) table of each of the
processor types ... do a store cpuid and then find the corresponding
processor type in the table of processor types ... which then had
details for what to do for processor specific handling.

what i described about doing in the resource manager ... is being able
to determine the needed processing by other characteristics ... w/o
needing to match on processor specific cpuid. the dynamic adaptive code
in the resource manager was supposed to dynamically adapt to things like
workload and configuration. this allowed the resource manager to also
dynamically adapt to processor types ... and in the case of the AT&T
longlines example ... adapt to a decade of news processor (types) that
were introduced for a decade after the specific code was given to
longlines (not known at the time that specific code was generated)

and in this post ... referring to PCM (plug compatible manufactor)
clone processors
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#55 IBM to the PCM market(the sky is falling!!!the sky is falling!!

the dynamic adaptive resource manager was also able to adapt to a
variety of processor types/characteristics produced by other vendors.

there was a joke associated with the original shipment of the resource
manager. at the time, somewhat the state of the art (in most other
operating system products) was to have a lot of processor specific code
as well as a lot of (manual) "tuning" knobs ... that allowed
installations to (manually) adapt the operation to the customer's
workload and configuration.

some number of corporate people reviewed the resource manager
specifications and felt that it was extremely difficent that it didn't
also have a whole bunch of manual tuning knobs ... and they wouldn't
aggree/approve to shipping the product unless manual tuning knobs
were added.

so i added some manual tuning knobs ... documented what they did,
included formulas and descriptions on how the tuning knobs were included
in the dynamic adaptive calculations (along with shipping all the source
code).

so a couple decades later ... we are doing a customer call on large
financial institution in the far east ... with respect to product
that we were currently producing
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp

and one of the younger IT people asked me if I was the same person that the
resource manager was named after. He mentioned that it was studied in
his computer classes at Univ. of Waterloo. I mentioned if they had
studied the joke?

In any case, the joke has to do with "degress of freedom" from dynamic
adaptive, feedback, feed forward, etc control algorithms ... and how
much degress of freedom the dynamic adaptive controls had vis-a-vis the
manual tuning controls.

From: Charles Shannon Hendrix on
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.folklore.computers.]

> Sigh! Even a moby IBM install from scratch didn't take six months.

They were not telling you how long an install took, they were telling
you how long it would take them to ramp up to support the laptop, which
is reasonable.

What happened is the idiot you talked to didn't know the difference
between a custom request from you, and a stated timeline for adding a
new OS to their support system.

The same mistake happened over and over at Dell, and not just with
Linux. Their sales droids read what is said about lead time for rolling
out a new support system, and tell customers that's how long it would
take to ship a unit.

You have to marvel sometimes how some companies stay in business.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There are nowadays professors of
philosophy, but not philosophers." ]
From: Rich Alderson on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:

> In article <m3lkh6eamk.fsf(a)garlic.com>,
> Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn(a)garlic.com> wrote:

>> 370 introduced store cpuid ... which included processor model number as
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> well as processor serial number.

[snip]

>> one of the things that vm370 had was a table of processor cpuids and
>> associated values. when i was doing with dynamic adaptive control
>> algorithms and the resource manager product ... was to be able to have
>> completely dynamic adaptive values ... w/o requiring a (software lookup)
>> table of all possible cpuids (with corresponding values).

> Do you and I have different defintion of processor ID? Each of our
> processors had its own number assigned to it. (yea, yea, the KS was
> different and that caused tonnes of trouble so I dismiss it).

The short answer, which Lynn did not give you, is "Yes."

What you/we call "processor ID" Lynn/IBM calls "serial number". What Lynn
calls "processor cpuid" is presumably *only* the processor model number
(which I underlined above), not the entire model-number+serial-number gestalt.

--
Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
news(a)alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
Rich Alderson <news(a)alderson.users.panix.com> writes:
> The short answer, which Lynn did not give you, is "Yes."
>
> What you/we call "processor ID" Lynn/IBM calls "serial number". What Lynn
> calls "processor cpuid" is presumably *only* the processor model number
> (which I underlined above), not the entire model-number+serial-number gestalt.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#56 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?

was about the resource manager being able to eliminate the explicit
table of cpu/processor models that controlled certain kernel
characteristics

so the 370 store cpuid instruction ... the reference for the complete
(current) instruction definition and all fields was provide in the
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#54 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?

includes all the "stuff" ... model, serial, and some additional other
stuff (like lpar information, if running in a virtual machine, etc)

the model/processor type part would allow simplified code to perform
various model specific/dependent operations.

the serial number part would possibly aid in doing various software
licensing.

as mentioned previously ... software charging/licensing came into being
with the 23jun69 unbundling announcement
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#unbundle

current genre sometimes refer to such stuff under the heading of
DRM. old post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007b.html#56 old lisa info

with some old email mentioning that apple lisa shipped with
serial number feature ... that could be used for implementing
various stuff in support of DRM-like operation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007b.html#email830213

for a lot of of topic drift ... there was a serial number feature
announced for intel processors in the 90s ... that got thoroughly
trounced on the grounds that it might be used for privacy invasive
operations.

the current feature that sometimes is referred to as possibly also being
leveraged for privacy invasive operations is the TPM/TCP/etc stuff for
trusted computing

this thread/posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn1
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn2
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn3
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn4

got started when I mentioned that I was giving a security/assurance talk
in the trusted computing track at an Intel Developers Conference.

also reference here
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html#presentation

this set of posts makes reference to a whole series of patents ...
some of them related to high assurance chip/device operation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm26.htm#48 Governance of anonymous financial services
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm26.htm#49 Governance of anonymous financial services
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
Del Cecchi <cecchinospam(a)us.ibm.com> writes:
> But they were considered separate sites, like POK and EF or POK and
> Kingston, at least in the part of IBM I was familiar with.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#47 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?

how, 'bout pok plant site and myers corner ... or former myers corner
.... just doing search engine, turns up
http://www.hvedc.com/siteadmin/upload/167-155MyersCornersRoad.pdf

somewhat fading memory ... but i think sindelfingen and boeblingen were
closer than myers corners and pok plant site ... or closer than the
(former) san jose plant site and the (former) santa teresa lab (now
silicon valley lab).

for total topic drift, i was on a trip in DC the week before they had
the opening ceremony for santa teresa lab. It had been originally going
to be called the Coyote lab (taking the name from the closest post
office) ... however, the week before, there was this demonstration on
the steps of the capital (i may have seen it, but was in no way part of
it) by the "Coyote" organization. They managed to quickly change the
name to santa teresa lab before the opening ceremony (after the closest
main road).