From: jmfbahciv on
In article <beb113hpl1tjebui0vn09e8m0cl5qgu7ia(a)4ax.com>,
Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>On Sat, 31 Mar 07 12:13:54 GMT in alt.folklore.computers,
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>
>>In article <tlvr03lc4tta7uc53787pi8aa0gc4ikdpm(a)4ax.com>,
>> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:

>>of

>>management,

>>>Without the sources, you'd just dump the tables, define your own macros
>>>to create the entries, and add new entries to the tables; find where the
>>>table origins were loaded, and patch the code to load the new origins.
>>
>>And now you've just overwritten code. In the biz, it's called
>>buffer overflow.
>
>It's called system maintenance: patching the system to add
>functionality.
>Buffer overflow is a bug caused by amateurs masquerading as programmers.

Son, you don't know what I'm talking about.

/BAH
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <2lg113l2c561603eafaiuc6ujag7j9i2mp(a)4ax.com>,
Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Mar 07 13:17:03 GMT in alt.folklore.computers,
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>
>>In article <sv4n039pl09njc3c36umop12hu2a45dhnr(a)4ax.com>,
>> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:

>>>It was obvious DEC was dropping non-VAX h/w and s/w by the early 80s:
>>>Marketing was pushing VAX and had nothing positive to say about other
>>>products.
>>
>>That's funny because 11s were an intricate piece of the disk
>>systems. There is no way a VAX would be the front end of the HSC.
>
>They stuck MASSbusses into the VAX backplane.
>And eventually allowed VAX onto the HSC; 11s never had that option.

What CPU do you think was in those HSCs to handle the protocols?

>>>DEC had no plans to produce bigger VAX systems in the early 80s,
>>
>>Huh? What do you mean by bigger?
>>
>>> and
>>>peripherals were same as 11 range, so commercial non-compute
>>>price/performance and expandability were non-competitive.
>>
>>No peripherals were not the same.
>
>That's all they offered when we asked for quotes.

Now we get down to the real problem here. You are still
pissed off from not buying some gear. Therefore, everything
we ever did had to be wrong. The more you show your attitude
here, the more I'm convinced that you would have been a
troublesome customer and would have cost us 100 times more
money than what we would have made with the sale and support
contracts.
<snip>

/BAH
From: Charlton Wilbur on

k> Just a guess, but perhaps [bloat is] what people really want.
k> The ones who don't are generally savvy enough to strip it down
k> (or build it up) to their liking.

k> I know it's heretical, but I believe Linux' problem is much
k> simpler; compatibility.

Most of the people I know don't care, at a fundamental level, what OS
they're running. They want to use the computer to do a set of tasks,
and whatever OS makes it easiest to do that set of tasks wins.

Many of them would be perfectly fine with Linux, but the front-loaded
step of getting it set up and configured is just too much work to
bother with. The extra learning curve and compatibility issues with
things they're used to doing -- having to use OpenOffice instead of
Microsoft Office, for instance -- is just the icing on the cake.

Others know a little bit and have a support network. (My mother falls
in this group.) They have no firm attachment to Windows, but their
friends all use Windows and so when one of them has a technical issue
he or she can talk to similar non-technical friends, and when one
discovers something wonderful, he or she can spread it around. (This
seems to happen with all sorts of enticing malware.)

In neither case is it about the operating system, though -- it's about
"I want to get work done" and "I want to use what my friends use."
Oddly enough, I think these are the reasons Linux and OS X are used as
widely as they are in the circles they are used, as well.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
cwilbur(a)chromatico.net
From: Frank McCoy on
In alt.folklore.computers Brian Inglis
<Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:

>Buffer overflow is a bug caused by amateurs masquerading as programmers.

.... Or deliberately caused by hackers trying to break a system.

--
_____
/ ' / ™
From: krw on
In article <a082135mvbkatdo80f6fm2cs4kgt5t8kpf(a)4ax.com>,
mccoyf(a)millcomm.com says...
> In alt.folklore.computers Brian Inglis
> <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>
> >Buffer overflow is a bug caused by amateurs masquerading as programmers.
>
> ... Or deliberately caused by hackers trying to break a system.

No, if there wasn't a loose nut behind the original keyboard the
hacker wouldn't have a chance at a buffer overflow. The fact that it
*can* be overflowed shows a poor design.

--
Keith