From: Steve O'Hara-Smith on
On Mon, 02 Apr 07 11:25:59 GMT
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

> Has it been verified that Vista cannot read MS' older formats?

I don't think that's the issue - more that there exists popular
software that runs under older versions of Windows that will not run under
Vista - if this weren't the case I would be surprised going on past
performance. I'm not likely to see a copy of Vista here until my work
supplied laptop dies and needs replacing.

--
C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
From: Del Cecchi on
krw wrote:
> In article <eurg8u$rer$1(a)gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>, nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk
> says...

>>Fine. That is irrelevant to my point. The fact that Poughkeepsie was
>>near-idle is not proof that IBM wasn't selling systems.
>

> I'm not sure when Havant, Yasu, and Boeb (there was one in S. America
> too, IIRC) came on-line. I believe it was during the 3033 ramp. I
> was talking about before, I.e. 3168. The fact is that the economy
> sucked in the '70s and IBM was feeling it. Hard.

Actually boeblingen was paired in some way with Sifi (singlefingen or
something like that)

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn�t necessarily represent IBM�s positions,
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
> Actually boeblingen was paired in some way with Sifi (singlefingen or
> something like that)

Sindelfingen & Boeblingen ... that is somewhat like saying the old
endicott manufacturing plant downtown was paired with the
endicott/glendale lab.

Boeblingen wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeblingen

from above:

Böblingen/Sindelfingen can be called a center of both automobile and
computer industries. Daimler-Chrysler develops and manufactures its
Mercedes brand of luxury cars here.

.... snip ...

Sindelfingen wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sindelfingen

from above:

Neighboring towns and cities: Böblingen, Stuttgart, Leonberg. Note that
there is no gap between Böblingen and Sindelfingen.

.... snip ...

earlier than these series of trips in the mid-70s
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#42 1960s: IBM mgmt mistrust of SLT for ICs?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#44 1960s: IBM mgmt mistrust of SLT for ICs?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#46 1960s: IBM mgmt mistrust of SLT for ICs?

starting in the very early 70s ... i got to go around doing CP/VM
consulting and/or installs at various places around the world
.... including some number of HONE clone installs (online interactive
support for world-wide sales, marketing and field people)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

as well as visits to Boeblingen lab. Very early 70s trips to the
Boeblingen lab ... was before a lot of "americanization" (didn't find
all the other american/computer companies, american hotels, etc, that
started showing up in the 80s). they put me up in a small 3-4 story
"business traveler" hotel in Sindelfingen where nobody spoke English and
I had to get by on very bad college German.
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> writes:
> I'm not sure when Havant, Yasu, and Boeb (there was one in S. America
> too, IIRC) came on-line. I believe it was during the 3033 ramp. I
> was talking about before, I.e. 3168. The fact is that the economy
> sucked in the '70s and IBM was feeling it. Hard.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#47 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?

oh, and Havant was the early location of the "UK" HONE datacenter ...
i.e. HONE was the infrastructure that provided for world-wide online
interactive support for sales, marketing and field people. numerous
past HONE postings
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

the US grew up a number of HONE datacenters ... starting with cloned
(and highly modified) versions of the science center's CP67 system
.... with majority of the business applications implemented in cms\apl.
recent posts mentioning science center port of apl\360 to cms\apl
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#31 Wylbur and Paging

Over a period, this migrated from cp67 to vm370 and from cms\apl to
apl\cms. In the later part of the mid-70s, all the US HONE datacenters
were consolidated in northern cal. ... and we did some pretty fancy
support for large "loosely-coupled" (i.e. clustered) environment
supporting single-system-image and load-balancing.

In the same time-frame ... a lot of the European HONE systems were
consolidated in Uithoorne (at least the branch office sales, marketing,
etc) ... including Havant. EMEA hdqtrs HONE system that I had handled
move for when EMEA hdqtrs moved from the states to La Defense (just
outside of paris) stayed around.

for other drift ... old email from somebody on emea hdqtrs hone system
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007b.html#email821214
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007b.html#email821217

and for additional drift ... other old email with mentions of
hone
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#hone

for totally different drfit ... i've made several posts about the
internal network being larger than arpanet/internet from just about the
start until possibly mid-85. this is post that lists some of the
internal network nodes/sites that had additions during 1983
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006k.html#8 Arpa address

including Boeblingen, Sindelfingen, Stuttgart, Havant, and Yasu. Also
listed are Sumare and Rio de Janeiro Brazil and Montevideo Uruguay
From: krw on
In article <proto-6CE80E.14515402042007(a)032-325-
625.area1.spcsdns.net>, proto(a)oanix.com says...
> In article <MPG.207af1c58caebfc498a29f(a)news.individual.net>,
> krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
> > In article <a082135mvbkatdo80f6fm2cs4kgt5t8kpf(a)4ax.com>,
> > mccoyf(a)millcomm.com says...

> > > ... Or deliberately caused by hackers trying to break a system.
> >
> > No, if there wasn't a loose nut behind the original keyboard the
> > hacker wouldn't have a chance at a buffer overflow. The fact that it
> > *can* be overflowed shows a poor design.
>
> Could be bad design or bad implementation.

Such a bogus implementation should never make it to the product.
Poorly designed process. ;-)

> It's something an
> applications programmer should not have to worry about. The more things
> that a programmer has to concentrate on the more things elude attention.

Right. The tools shouldn't let the lowly programmer aim at his foot.
That's design.

--
Keith