From: Brian Inglis on
On 15 Apr 2007 15:06:37 -0400 in alt.folklore.computers, Rich Alderson
<news(a)alderson.users.panix.com> wrote:

>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:
>
>[talking at cross purposes]
>
>The *hard wired* numbers the original poster was talking about are things like
>tracks per cylinder, sectors per track, etc. etc., on disk drives for example.
>
>MONGEN does not put any of that into the monitor, ma'am.

Is that in the monitor? If so, where? Are there publicly available
sources?

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
From: Rich Alderson on
Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> writes:

> On 15 Apr 2007 15:06:37 -0400 in alt.folklore.computers, Rich Alderson
> <news(a)alderson.users.panix.com> wrote:

>> jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:

>> [talking at cross purposes]

>> The *hard wired* numbers the original poster was talking about are things
>> like tracks per cylinder, sectors per track, etc. etc., on disk drives for
>> example.

>> MONGEN does not put any of that into the monitor, ma'am.

> Is that in the monitor? If so, where? Are there publicly available
> sources?

Yes, it is, in the modules dealing with physical I/O.

Tops-10 and Tops-20 sources are to found at http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com .

--
Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
news(a)alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <865523h56mn3lt7jccldh1g3q2nl6bk1f9(a)4ax.com>,
Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>On 15 Apr 2007 15:06:37 -0400 in alt.folklore.computers, Rich Alderson
><news(a)alderson.users.panix.com> wrote:
>
>>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:
>>
>>[talking at cross purposes]
>>
>>The *hard wired* numbers the original poster was talking about are things
like
>>tracks per cylinder, sectors per track, etc. etc., on disk drives for
example.

>>MONGEN does not put any of that into the monitor, ma'am.
>
>Is that in the monitor? If so, where? Are there publicly available
>sources?

Trailing-edge [bless that man] has several full releases
of our tapes.

/BAH
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <mddtzvh31aa.fsf(a)panix5.panix.com>,
Rich Alderson <news(a)alderson.users.panix.com> wrote:
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:
>
>[talking at cross purposes]
>
>The *hard wired* numbers the original poster was talking about are things
like
>tracks per cylinder, sectors per track, etc. etc., on disk drives for
example.

I thought we were talking about device codes, etc.

>MONGEN does not put any of that into the monitor, ma'am.

Have you read COMMON.MAC, COMDEV.MAC, and COMMOD.MAC?

Once these (plus S and F) are assembled, we could assemple
all the other modules in parrallel.
From: David Powell on
In article <5jp6f4-d3b.ln1(a)osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>,
Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com> in
alt.folklore.computers wrote:

>Eric Smith wrote:
>> nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) writes:
>>> I know quite a few people who used Z80s for that, and they
>>> never really cut the mustard for mission-critical tasks
>>
>> I saw quite a few Z80s used for mission-critical critical tasks.
>
>Back in 1981 we had 12 (or 16?) channel 'Acoustic Emission' gear using a
>dedicated Z80 per channel, this was used for monitoring stuff like
>building platforms, offshore oil rigs and other relatively
>'mission-critical' applications.

We had both, 11/23 with a few 4 channel async cards as data
concentrators / protocol convertors to multiple Z80s as embedded
real-time controllers. Not much difference in hardware reliability
after infant mortality, provided appropriate PSUs and fans. Most of
the early Z80 failures were PSU, charge-pumps from the +5 for the
RS232 drivers that slowly declined from 10V ish to not much over a
couple of years. Software reliability for the 11steadily improved
over the years, easy to investigate post-mortem, and add robustness
where necessary. The Z80s were just replaced, usually without
investigation.

>> More Z80s have been used for LIFE-critical tasks than the total
>> number of PDP-11 computers manufactured.
>
>Almost certainly true.

Not surprising, after about 1979, every DEC sales office had painted
on the wall. "Thirty-two bits good, sixteen bits bad."

Regards,

David P.