From: Maaartin on
"Discussion subject changed to "The Winds of Change - The Three Snake
Oils of Cryptography." by adacrypt"

I nearly thought there was a chance for you.

On Jun 14, 6:36 pm, adacrypt <austin.oby...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> You are making very heavy going of something very straight forward -
> from memory I set a line terminator in my ciphers that are to hand by
> means of the Ada command line Set_Line_Length(77)

This surely makes for nice formatting.

> - that happens to
> be one I use in one instance - The decryption program will terminate
> each line at 77 characters as it displays the messagetext which
> happens to suit my needs - a new line is automatic - the message text
> can be transferred into a Word document and re-editted as much as you
> wish - what's the prob ?

So re-editing is the way to go in crypto, I see. What about images?
You send a text description and there get re-painted by the recipient?

On Jun 14, 7:04 pm, adacrypt <austin.oby...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I had better make it clear that I am only interested in security of
> information - secure information interchange a la ASCII <=> code for
> information interchange - I am quite satisfied that I can secure any
> other form of data if I try but there is no need yet for that ? ?  -

That's nice, that you're satisfied, but you're the only one.

> my present ciphers are very speedy and easily managed - 15000
> charcters per second on a home computer is ok for now at least - I
> guess I'll just stick with that for now - adacrypt

I get 450 MB/s with AES, which is 30000 times faster, so again, you're
the only one satisfied.
From: rossum on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 07:36:15 -0700 (PDT), adacrypt
<austin.obyrne(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>you are way off the mark in talking 00 to FF
You are way off the mark in talking ' ' to '~', all you need is to
encrypt two characters: '0' and '1' - the users can type in their
files in raw binary.

rossum

From: Bruce Stephens on
gordonb.zxw1w(a)burditt.org (Gordon Burditt) writes:

[...]

> (a) the newline silently disappears in the encryption/decryption process.
> (b) the newline disappears in the encryption/decryption process, but a
> warning is given.
> (c) the newline is silently changed to a space.
> (d) the newline is changed to a space, but a warning is given.
> (e) the program aborts without encrypting or decrypting.
> (f) something else (what?)

Most likely his program reads and encrypts/decrypts one line at a time,
so newlines are preserved in the ciphertext.

(Probably part of the reason he doesn't just handle binary files is that
he doesn't know how, though it's also quite possible that he doesn't
understand why we suggest it would be better.)

[...]

From: Gordon Burditt on
>> (a) the newline silently disappears in the encryption/decryption process.
>> (b) the newline disappears in the encryption/decryption process, but a
>> warning is given.
>> (c) the newline is silently changed to a space.
>> (d) the newline is changed to a space, but a warning is given.
>> (e) the program aborts without encrypting or decrypting.
>> (f) something else (what?)
>
>Most likely his program reads and encrypts/decrypts one line at a time,
>so newlines are preserved in the ciphertext.

He's denied that several times, when I've given him a chance to
claim I misunderstood him. He's shooting his own cryptography
in the foot.

It turns out he deletes newlines on encryption and inserts them
after every 77 characters on decryption. Ick. Encrypting, then
decryption even his precious ADA source files would break them,
especially due to arbitrarily-inserted newlines in the middle of
keywords and variable names.

>(Probably part of the reason he doesn't just handle binary files is that
>he doesn't know how, though it's also quite possible that he doesn't
>understand why we suggest it would be better.)

I'm not sure that he understands why omitting vowels would be a bad
idea. He also seems confused about the difference between input to
the compiler and input to the program at runtime.

From: adacrypt on
On Jun 14, 6:44 pm, rossum <rossu...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 07:36:15 -0700 (PDT), adacrypt
>
> <austin.oby...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >you are way off the mark in talking 00 to FF
>
> You are way off the mark in talking ' ' to '~', all you need is to
> encrypt two characters: '0' and '1' - the users can type in their
> files in raw binary.
>
> rossum

Hi again,

I have always seen my work as a developer model for optimising later
by experts in crypto management - the salient thing about it is the
colossal crypto strength and the simplicity of being very, very user
friendly - to develop a theoretically unbreakable cipher(s) as I have
done is a major achievement - its a world first apart from the OTP
(don't start about this again) - I am not au fait with some of the
things you are advocating at present but of course I am keeping an
open mind - there is no need for slagging me off because I have no
pretensions of being a hands-on expert cryptographer - my contribution
is in having spotted the application of vector factoring in three-
dimensional space as an encryption environment and then to have
succesfully programmed it all into a working cipher - this involved
the marrying of the mathematics to the cryptography and implementing
those in Ada-95.

I am totally averse to working in binary and cannot see any advantage
- ok I know that everything in computing starts and finishes as
machine code that of course is modelled in binary but at the user
interface there is no gain in this - you guys are hooked on binary but
there is nothing to be gained by typing in files in raw binary -
better to read in the files character by character and let the
computer change it to binary - it is much better at doing this than
than any human being - there are many things that have become
entrenched practice in recent years in the crypto industry but that
does not mean they are here to stay.

There's been a lot about newline instigation - whether it's plaintext,
ciphertext or whatever, the line length in Ada is simply the number of
characters called for by the command line (Set_Line_Length) and then
bingo ! a new line is born.- can't see what the fuss is about.

I am not all convinced that your methods are worth taking on board -
there are several academic and other research groups studying my work
at the present time and happily they understand the mathematics - any
refinement of the source code is in good hands - they will have to be
good however because there is no flesh on that beast after me - I
welcome any shake up that may evolve to my ciphers at the same time.

An unbreakable cipher type is on the table no matter what anybody may
say to the contrary.

It will be interesting to see what evolves.

The source code of a working cipher is downloadable from my website
http://www,adacrypt.com - see downloadable source code for Vector
Cipher_2 - ada compiler is included - why don't you have a go at using
this and then I can talk to you all - I can't do any more than that !
- Cheers - adacrypt

PS - I am not interested in images at this time but I am capable of
handling that if I ever need to - I repeat its security of information
only in my stuff for now anyway.