From: Bruce Stephens on
adacrypt <austin.obyrne(a)hotmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I am totally averse to working in binary and cannot see any advantage
> - ok I know that everything in computing starts and finishes as
> machine code that of course is modelled in binary but at the user
> interface there is no gain in this -

Think data, not programs.

> you guys are hooked on binary but there is nothing to be gained by
> typing in files in raw binary - better to read in the files character
> by character and let the computer change it to binary - it is much
> better at doing this than than any human being -

I've no idea what you're trying to say. It sounds like you're an idiot.
What we meant was that you should assume that whatever the user wants to
encrypt is already a file on the computer and that you should encrypt
that. Similarly, assume that the encrypted data to be decrypted is a
file. How the files are produced is none of your business.

> there are many things that have become entrenched practice in recent
> years in the crypto industry but that does not mean they are here to
> stay.

Don't hold your breath for them to change.

> There's been a lot about newline instigation - whether it's plaintext,
> ciphertext or whatever, the line length in Ada is simply the number of
> characters called for by the command line (Set_Line_Length) and then
> bingo ! a new line is born.- can't see what the fuss is about.

You don't want to be able to encrypt even text accurately?

[...]

From: Bryan on
rossum wrote:
> adacrypt wrote:
> >I can easily encrypt anything from 00 to FF
>
> Then please amend your program so that it does so.

No, no, absolutely not.
The best features of Adacrypt are the ones that ensure no one will use
it.

--
--Bryan
From: Gordon Burditt on
>I had better make it clear that I am only interested in security of
>information

All of the file formats I have mentioned can contain information.
They can contain information that governments will (literally) kill
for (Think about what spies steal, wiretaps, hidden cameras, spy
satellites, etc.)

>- secure information interchange a la ASCII <=> code for
>information interchange - I am quite satisfied that I can secure any
>other form of data if I try but there is no need yet for that ? ? -

Writing code to be character-set-independent may be simpler than
dealing with disallowed characters.

If you design a house, you're not going to put in a toilet until
YOU personally need to pee, no matter how much other household
members complain?

Have you ever lived around a high-school English teacher? If you
send her a message, it better be spelled correctly. If you submit
a paper, it better not have one spelling error or you get an F.
Arbitrary newline insertions don't leave spelling intact.

>my present ciphers are very speedy and easily managed - 15000
>charcters per second on a home computer is ok for now at least - I
>guess I'll just stick with that for now - adacrypt

That's pretty slow compared to most networks, but if you just
use it for email (to yourself), it's probably acceptable to have
even 300 bits/sec modem speeds.

The input character set for a cipher is not a "management issue".
It's a fundamental design issue for a cipher. Encryption intended
for a cable box to protect the cable company from the customer isn't
suitable for encrypting emails.

From: adacrypt on
On Jun 14, 6:44 pm, rossum <rossu...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 07:36:15 -0700 (PDT), adacrypt
>
> <austin.oby...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >you are way off the mark in talking 00 to FF
>
> You are way off the mark in talking ' ' to '~', all you need is to
> encrypt two characters: '0' and '1' - the users can type in their
> files in raw binary.
>
> rossum

Hi again,

After a moment's thought I realise there is no problem with images or
indeed entire websites - these have been created within the bounds of
writable ASCII - they are therefore imminently encryptable by my
vector cryptography - I remember making a note of these before during
a web design session but forgot about since then - even groups of
individual pixels (hypothetical extreme - let the boo boys note) may
also be enciphered by encrypting their colour codes. - adacrypt
From: Bruce Stephens on
adacrypt <austin.obyrne(a)hotmail.com> writes:

[...]

> After a moment's thought I realise there is no problem with images or
> indeed entire websites - these have been created within the bounds of
> writable ASCII - they are therefore imminently encryptable by my
> vector cryptography - I remember making a note of these before during
> a web design session but forgot about since then - even groups of
> individual pixels (hypothetical extreme - let the boo boys note) may
> also be enciphered by encrypting their colour codes. - adacrypt

I suggest you take a few more moments to think. It's possible to
convert binary to ASCII. That's done routinely (common examples are
uuencode, base64, yenc). There's a cost to that, however. And in this
case there's no point: just handle binary.