From: J�rgen Exner on
John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:06:33 -0500, Tad McClellan <tadmc(a)seesig.invalid>
>>Ben Morrow <ben(a)morrow.me.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Why are you posting this here?
>
>Because it can start a Perl script as a daemon,

I bet it can start a Haskell or C# or Lisp program, too. Did you post in
the corresponding groups for those languages too?

jue
From: John Kelly on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:00:55 -0700, J�rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> wrote:

>>Because it can start a Perl script as a daemon,

>I bet it can start a Haskell or C# or Lisp program, too. Did you post in
>the corresponding groups for those languages too?

Not yet.

It's topical for a Perl group, because Perl provides sockets and other
features typically used in daemons. The daemon helper lets you omit the
Perl code required for daemon bootstrapping, and focus more readily on
your application, saving time and work.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: Ted Zlatanov on
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 05:22:21 +0000 John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> wrote:

JK> It's topical for a Perl group, because Perl provides sockets and other
JK> features typically used in daemons. The daemon helper lets you omit the
JK> Perl code required for daemon bootstrapping, and focus more readily on
JK> your application, saving time and work.

I don't think it's relevant to Perl specifically as it does not offer
any features Perl does not have, does not extend or contribute to
existing Perl code, and has no Perl interfaces. It's like posting here
about your new car because it can drive you to work where you could
write Perl code.

You should try to popularize your software but this way you will just
annoy people. Try reddit.com for instance.

Ted
From: John Kelly on
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 07:39:01 -0500, Ted Zlatanov <tzz(a)lifelogs.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 05:22:21 +0000 John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> wrote:
>
>JK> It's topical for a Perl group, because Perl provides sockets and other
>JK> features typically used in daemons. The daemon helper lets you omit the
>JK> Perl code required for daemon bootstrapping, and focus more readily on
>JK> your application, saving time and work.
>
>I don't think it's relevant to Perl specifically as it does not offer
>any features Perl does not have

How would you know that without using it.

>does not extend or contribute to existing Perl code, and has no Perl
>interfaces.

So I can't discuss awk, sed, or shell features, and compare or contrast
them to Perl features, because they don't have "Perl interfaces"?

>It's like posting here about your new car because it can drive you
>to work where you could write Perl code.

That's a stretched analogy.

>You should try to popularize your software but this way you will just
>annoy people.

Maybe. But popularity is not my goal. It's a niche tool, not many
people attempt to write daemons of any kind, much less in Perl. I put
it out there for the few who may. It helps me save work and time, and
it can help other people too.

If you're not interested in a thread, or it seems off topic to you, why
not ignore it. Every complaint is another opportunity for me to discuss
it.

>Try reddit.com for instance

Thanks, but it looks too noisy to be helpful.

From: Sherm Pendley on
John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> writes:

> If you're not interested in a thread, or it seems off topic to you, why
> not ignore it.

Doing so encourages more off-topic threads. Also, there's a chance (a
small one, given your past behavior) that someone doesn't realize that
they're behaving badly, and may therefore appreciate being told about
it, so as to avoid being rude in the future.

> Thanks, but it looks too noisy to be helpful.

That's what happens in a free-for-all which doesn't take topicality
very seriously. So the question is, why do you want to turn this group
into such an unhelpful place as that?

sherm--

--
Sherm Pendley <www.shermpendley.com>