From: John Kelly on

The daemon helper, dh is its name.

It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
daemon, then gets out of the way.

Yes I know there are various others. But this is one I wrote, and I
gave it an Apache license.

If you don't like the name "dh" for whatever reason, you can patch the
Makefile and source to give it whatever name you like. Perhaps "dprime"
(daemon primer), or "dp" for a short name.

ftp://ftp.beewyz.com/users/jar/etcetera/computer/programming/project/dh/

Yes I know you can fork,setsid,exec in Perl too. But the daemon helper
covers some bases you might not think of, when throwing your Perl script
together. And a tool that already does the job for you, saves time.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com>:

> The daemon helper, dh is its name.
>
> It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
> daemon, then gets out of the way.

Why are you posting this here?

Ben

From: Tad McClellan on
Ben Morrow <ben(a)morrow.me.uk> wrote:

> Quoth John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com>:
>>
>> The daemon helper, dh is its name.
>>
>> It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
>> daemon, then gets out of the way.
>
> Why are you posting this here?

Maybe because it is "news", as in Network News Transfer Protocol?

:-)

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
From: Uri Guttman on

BM> Quoth John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com>:
>>
>> The daemon helper, dh is its name.
>>
>> It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
>> daemon, then gets out of the way.

BM> Why are you posting this here?

because he doesn't like how i paTROL the group? :)

but a good question that he is not likely to answer. asking him
questions about his reasoning is taken as a personal insult.

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ uri(a)stemsystems.com -------- http://www.sysarch.com --
From: John Kelly on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:06:33 -0500, Tad McClellan <tadmc(a)seesig.invalid>
wrote:

>Ben Morrow <ben(a)morrow.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Quoth John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com>:
>>>
>>> The daemon helper, dh is its name.
>>>
>>> It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
>>> daemon, then gets out of the way.

>> Why are you posting this here?

>Maybe because it is "news", as in Network News Transfer Protocol?

Because it can start a Perl script as a daemon, without any need to
fork,setsid,exec in your perl script. I use it myself, to start Perl
scripts as never ending daemons.

Not every post must answer a question. People like to read news too,
though I understand why control freaks hate news, as it threatens their
territorial domain.