From: Robert Myers on
On Nov 2, 1:03 pm, dj3va...(a)csclub.uwaterloo.ca.invalid wrote:
> In article <d82693a7-864a-4fec-a676-5a94bf453...(a)j24g2000yqa.googlegroups..com>,
> Robert Myers  <rbmyers...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Nov 2, 7:48 am, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
>
> >> Rocket science is almost trivial; rocket engineering is hard.  Quite
> >> a lot of things are like that.
>
> >If X engineering is hard, it's almost because X science is missing or
> >incomplete.
>
> >That is, in my not so humble opinion, particularly true of rocket
> >science, which is anything but trivial.
>
> Throw stuff in one direction, you move in the other direction.
> That's rocket science.  The rest is engineering.
> There's a nontrivial amount of other types of science behind that
> engineering, but 'tain't rocket science.

Sorry, but inasmuch as my most advanced degree and most of my
experience is in fluid mechanics, I must disagree. Getting a rocket
to lift off the pad without shaking everything to pieces is still a
hard problem. Returning things to earth from orbit is similarly a
hard problem. Cut and try is very expensive and sometimes fatal. The
science, such as it is, is far from being in hand, and, if there is
such a thing as rocket science, trying to understand what happens with
all the various fluids at launch and reentry would have to qualify.

Robert.
From: Del Cecchi on

<dj3vande(a)csclub.uwaterloo.ca.invalid> wrote in message
> In article
> <d82693a7-864a-4fec-a676-5a94bf453bcb(a)j24g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
> Robert Myers <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Nov 2, 7:48 am, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
>>
>>> Rocket science is almost trivial; rocket engineering is hard.
>>> Quite
>>> a lot of things are like that.
>>
>>If X engineering is hard, it's almost because X science is missing
>>or
>>incomplete.
>>
>>That is, in my not so humble opinion, particularly true of rocket
>>science, which is anything but trivial.
>
> Throw stuff in one direction, you move in the other direction.
> That's rocket science. The rest is engineering.
> There's a nontrivial amount of other types of science behind that
> engineering, but 'tain't rocket science.
>

> dave
>
> --
> Dave Vandervies dj3vande at eskimo dot com
> I wouldn't pay anyone who used realloc like THAT, except perhaps to
> clean the toilets.
> --infobahn in comp.lang.c

I always wondered what "rocket science" was. F=MA? or turbulent flow
in hypersonic regime. Some things are scientifically easy but hard in
practice. All you have to do is deposit a 100 nm film uniformly over
the surface of that 300 mm wafer. All you have to do is make the bat
intersect the ball as it crosses the plate.

A lot of semiconductor stuff is in that category. You can do the
experiments to figure it out but that is essentially the engineering.

del

From: Del Cecchi on

"Robert Myers" <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Nov 2, 1:03 pm, dj3va...(a)csclub.uwaterloo.ca.invalid wrote:
> In article
> <d82693a7-864a-4fec-a676-5a94bf453...(a)j24g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
> Robert Myers <rbmyers...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Nov 2, 7:48 am, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
>
> >> Rocket science is almost trivial; rocket engineering is hard.
> >> Quite
> >> a lot of things are like that.
>
> >If X engineering is hard, it's almost because X science is missing
> >or
> >incomplete.
>
> >That is, in my not so humble opinion, particularly true of rocket
> >science, which is anything but trivial.
>
> Throw stuff in one direction, you move in the other direction.
> That's rocket science. The rest is engineering.
> There's a nontrivial amount of other types of science behind that
> engineering, but 'tain't rocket science.

Sorry, but inasmuch as my most advanced degree and most of my
experience is in fluid mechanics, I must disagree. Getting a rocket
to lift off the pad without shaking everything to pieces is still a
hard problem. Returning things to earth from orbit is similarly a
hard problem. Cut and try is very expensive and sometimes fatal. The
science, such as it is, is far from being in hand, and, if there is
such a thing as rocket science, trying to understand what happens with
all the various fluids at launch and reentry would have to qualify.

Robert.

---------------------------

How are you posting? It is very strange that your posts are the only
ones that outlook express doesn't properly put the marks on when I
reply. So I fire up thunderbird but that is a little annoying to have
to do that for a reply.

Any ideas as to what might be going on? Could it be google groups?

From: Robert Myers on
On Nov 2, 11:12 pm, "Del Cecchi" <delcecchioftheno...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> <dj3va...(a)csclub.uwaterloo.ca.invalid> wrote in message

> > In article
> > <d82693a7-864a-4fec-a676-5a94bf453...(a)j24g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
> > Robert Myers  <rbmyers...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >>If X engineering is hard, it's almost because X science is missing
> >>or
> >>incomplete.
>
> >>That is, in my not so humble opinion, particularly true of rocket
> >>science, which is anything but trivial.
>
> > Throw stuff in one direction, you move in the other direction.
> > That's rocket science.  The rest is engineering.
> > There's a nontrivial amount of other types of science behind that
> > engineering, but 'tain't rocket science.
>
> > dave
>
> > --
> > Dave Vandervies                          dj3vande at eskimo dot com
> > I wouldn't pay anyone who used realloc like THAT, except perhaps to
> > clean the toilets.
> >                                          --infobahn in comp.lang.c
>
> I always wondered what "rocket science" was.  F=MA? or turbulent flow
> in hypersonic regime. Some things are scientifically easy but hard in
> practice.  All you have to do is deposit a 100 nm film uniformly over
> the surface of that 300 mm wafer.  All you have to do is make the bat
> intersect the ball as it crosses the plate.
>
> A lot of semiconductor stuff is in that category.  You can do the
> experiments to figure it out but that is essentially the engineering.

There's a million dollar prize out for proving the most basic
properties of solutions to the Navier-Stokes equations. Practical
consequences of understanding those equations include launch shake,
foam shedding, and the hazards of reentry. Computers play a big role,
which is why lots of fluid mechanicists are so involved with
computers. F=ma (or it's continuum mechanics equivalent, the Reynolds
transport theorem applied to mass, momentum, and energy) will take you
a long way, but the math is still hard. When you do turbulence, a lot
of stuff starts to look like quantum field theory, which is one reason
I am extremely skeptical of quantum voodoo.

I'm not a laboratory scientist. That was settled early on. I
calculate stuff, sometimes analyze data, and often do stuff that could
be regarded as either science or engineering. Nick works at the
University of Cambridge, where the University Press publishes the
Journal of Fluid Mechanics and there is a long and impressive history
of non-trivial contributions to the field. He really should have
known better.

Robert.
From: nmm1 on
In article <30b13890-50c6-4b47-8ed4-99769f847112(a)o10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
Robert Myers <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Nick works at the
>University of Cambridge, where the University Press publishes the
>Journal of Fluid Mechanics and there is a long and impressive history
>of non-trivial contributions to the field. He really should have
>known better.

Oh, yes, I know that - our Engineering department is very highly
regarded for its work in that area. Now, what is it that I should
have known better? :-)

Yes, I know that DAMTP and Physics also work in such areas, but I
stand by my point, and I think that others agree with me.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.