From: Terje Mathisen on
Bernd Paysan wrote:
> Terje Mathisen wrote:
> Hm, digging out the publication leads me here:
>
> http://www.physics.berkeley.edu/research/zettl/pdf/361.NanoLet.9-
> Begtrup.pdf
>
>> I.e. this might well work at some point in time, but not in "2-4
>> years", more like 10-20.
>
> I don't think one can plan the availability of unobtanium. The current
:-)
> state of research is to find a material that is suitable as memristor.
> You can find one tomorrow, or not in 1000 years. Zettl's nanotubes with
> embedded iron shuttles look much better than HPs titanium dioxide
> memristors. They are also probably a lot harder to make ;-).

The key point is that even if they do find the proper (easy to
manufacture, stable, cheap etc) material today, it will still take a lot
more than "2-4 years" to make it commonly available in the form of
embedded memory.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>
From: Bernd Paysan on
Terje Mathisen wrote:
> The key point is that even if they do find the proper (easy to
> manufacture, stable, cheap etc) material today, it will still take a lot
> more than "2-4 years" to make it commonly available in the form of
> embedded memory.

Well, I'm a bit more optimistic about that. "Easy to manufacture" means
"fits into the current process flow", so it's essentially just another
process step - memristor inserted into a via - in a standard process. If
you ask the process guys "please grow multi-walled carbon nanotubes of 200nm
length with embedded iron shuttles in every via hole", then you'll get your
multi-year estimate with no guarantee to success, but if it's really just
something you can create with a standard CVD process step (like the titanium
oxide HP wants to use), it's not rocket science, and can be ported to other
fabs as well.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/
From: ChrisQ on
nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
> In article <vBZGm.2971$6O1.1139(a)newsfe08.ams2>,
> ChrisQ <meru(a)devnull.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, but I wasn't cheating in that way - the machine I used did NOT
>>> memory map registers - it had 128 registers, and used a special
>>> register to allow register indexing.
>> 128 registers provides a bit more space then the pdp11's 8, but how did
>> your code work ?. The registers must have been sequential in some
>> accessable address space for the program counter to access them, or you
>> were doing something really clever like indirect execution through the
>> index ?. Not familiar with that architecture makes it more difficult guess.
>>
>> Just how did it work ? :-)...
>
> After 40+ years, I should have to check up on which algorithm it was
> and reinvent the method. Basically, it was something that needed
> a lot of combinatoric calculations on a small number of counts.
>
> And, yes, you could index through the registers. The loading and
> unloading was manual, of course.

Right, i've forgotten half the stuff I ever knew about the pdp11 and vax
and that's only 20 years ago.

Still, there does seem to be *real* progress in computer architecture,
despite the retentiveness of the major players. It seems that Tilera
processors will be on server motherboards within a year. A 100 cpu
'computing surface', if you like. No fpu, but i'm sure ways will be
found to utilise them for hpc none the less. Link is at:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/02/tilera_quanta_servers/

How could you use that ?. It will be commodity prices as well...

Regards,

Chris
From: nmm1 on
In article <1588054.EvxWjJku6o(a)elfi.zetex.de>,
Bernd Paysan <bernd.paysan(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>Terje Mathisen wrote:
>> The key point is that even if they do find the proper (easy to
>> manufacture, stable, cheap etc) material today, it will still take a lot
>> more than "2-4 years" to make it commonly available in the form of
>> embedded memory.
>
>Well, I'm a bit more optimistic about that. "Easy to manufacture" means
>"fits into the current process flow", so it's essentially just another
>process step - memristor inserted into a via - in a standard process.

Well, yes, if you don't mind it not working or fouling up everything
else. There's more to engineering than just getting parts to fit
together.

>If
>you ask the process guys "please grow multi-walled carbon nanotubes of 200nm
>length with embedded iron shuttles in every via hole", then you'll get your
>multi-year estimate with no guarantee to success, but if it's really just
>something you can create with a standard CVD process step (like the titanium
>oxide HP wants to use), it's not rocket science, and can be ported to other
>fabs as well.

Rocket science is almost trivial; rocket engineering is hard. Quite
a lot of things are like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Robert Myers on
On Nov 2, 7:48 am, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:

> Rocket science is almost trivial; rocket engineering is hard.  Quite
> a lot of things are like that.

If X engineering is hard, it's almost because X science is missing or
incomplete.

That is, in my not so humble opinion, particularly true of rocket
science, which is anything but trivial.

Robert.