From: gr on
I have been having a bitxx of a time trying to track this down and am
looking for some help.

A few years ago I wrote a VB6 program. It has run great until
recently. After installing a few .net 2.0 and .net 3.0 updates, the
program throws this error message everytime we try and close it. No
data is damaged or lost, it just is annoying.
"The instruction at "xxxxxxx" referenced memory at "xxxxx". The
memory could not be "read".

I've searched google for this error and MANY programs are having this
same error after the kb976576 and kb982524 updates were installed.
Most websites are saying to remove these two updates, but I was
curious if there is anything I can do to debug it on my side.

Thanks in advance.
Guy
From: dpb on
gr wrote:

> I've searched google for this error and MANY programs are having this
> same error after the kb976576 and kb982524 updates were installed.
> Most websites are saying to remove these two updates, but I was
> curious if there is anything I can do to debug it on my side.

No, it's in runtime, not your code.

From: gr on
So how do I go about fixing it? Just remove the two KB updates?

Guy

From: dpb on
gr wrote:
> So how do I go about fixing it? Just remove the two KB updates?
Since it's in something updated, yes; it's your only option.

You can try and isolate it to one if there's some specific issue you've
had problems with that one of them fixes and see if you get lucky...

From: Tony Toews on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:14:14 -0500, dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:

>> I've searched google for this error and MANY programs are having this
>> same error after the kb976576 and kb982524 updates were installed.
>> Most websites are saying to remove these two updates, but I was
>> curious if there is anything I can do to debug it on my side.
>
>No, it's in runtime, not your code.

Which runtime? .Net? How can a .Net runtime update affect a VB6 app?

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP