From: PD on

Ka-In Yen wrote:
> [...]
> > > and <j:3> are unit vectors. The area vector of the parallelogram
> > > is the cross product of these two vectors.
> > >
> > > l m<i:3> X h m<j:3>= lh (m^2 )<i:3>X<j:3>
> > > = lh abs(sin(theta)) (m^2)<k:3>
> > >
> > > Where theta is the angle between <i:3> and <j:3>. <k:3> is
> > > a unit vector which is perpendicular to <i:3> and <j:3>.
> > > For AXB=-BXA, an area has two directions.
> > >
> > > We can divide the area vector by the length vector.
> > >
> > > lh*abs(sin(theta))<k:3>/[l<i:3>]
> > > =h<i:3>X<j:3>/<i:3>
> > > =h(<i:3>X<j:3>)X<i:3>
> > > (The direction, <i:3>, is not changed by "division", and
> > > the division is replaced by a cross product.)
> > > =-h<i:3>X(<i:3>X<j:3>)
> > > =-h[<i:3>(<i:3>o<j:3>)-<j:3>(<i:3>o<i:3>)]
> > > (where o is dot product.)
> > > =-h(cos(theta)<i:3>-<j:3>)
> > > =h(<j:3>-cos(theta)<i:3>) m
> > >
> > > The result is a rectangle, not the original parallelogram. We
> > > can test the result.
> > >
> > > h(<j:3>-cos(theta)<i:3>)Xl<i:3>=lh m^2<j:3>X<i:3>
> > >
> > > The magnitude of the area vector is conserved, but the direction
> > > is opposite.
> > >
> > > The mass of a round plate is M kg, and the area vector is
> > > A m^2<i:3>; then the surface mass density is
> > >
> > > M kg/(A m^2<i:3>)=M/A (kg/m^2)<i:3>
> > >

> > > 4. Mass vector in physics.
> > >
> > > Mass vector has been found in two equations: 1) the velocity
> > > equation of string. 2) Bernoulli's equation.
> > >
> > > i) For waves on a string, we have the velocity equation:
> > >
> > > v=sqrt(tau/mu). v is velocity of wave, tau is tension
> > > applying to string, and mu is linear mass density of
> > > string. We can rewrite the equation:
> > >
> > > mu=tau/v^2.
> > >
> > > In the above equation, the mu is parallel to tau, and both
> > > of them are vector.
> > >
> > > ii) Bernoulli's equation is:
> > >
> > > P + k*v^2/2=C (P is pressure, k is volume density, and v is
> > > velocity. Here we neglect the gravitational term.)
> > >
> > > Multiplying cross area vector A m^2<i:3> of a string to Bernoulli's
> > > equation(where <i:3> is a unit vector),
> > >
> > > P*A<i:3> + k*A<i:3>*v^2/2=C*A<i:3>
> > > F<i:3> + L<i:3>*v^2/2=C*A<i:3>
> > > (where F is the magnitude of force, and L is the magnitude
> > > of linear mass density.)
> > >
> > > These two equations are well used in the theory "Magnetic force:
> > > Combining Drag force and Bernoulli force of ether dynamics."
> > > For detail, please refer to my site:
> > > http://www.geocities.com/redlorikee
> >

> > I've already explained to you, KY, that your mathematical steps 1 by 1
> > are ok. The physical meaning that you associate with those steps is
> > what is faulty.
>
> Dear PD,
>
> Thank you for your comment. The vector of linear density and surface
> density have been used for a long time.
>
> Current density(J) is a surface density and a vector; its unit is
> A/m^2.
>
> Electric field(E) is linear density and a vector; Its unit is V/m.
>
> Displacement(D) is surface density and a vector; Its unit is coul/m^2.
>
> Reference: Classical Electrodynamics(J.D. Jackson) p.820

First of all, I find it interesting that you define anything that has a
power of length in the denominator as a density. That's not completely
unreasonable.

But to assume that because *one* quantity has density-like units and is
a vector does not mean that *all* quantities that have comparable units
are also vectors.

I'll give you an example of this. Torque and energy have identical
units: N-m. However, one is explicity defined as a scalar quantity and
the other is explicity defined as a vector quantity. No comparison of
the units can gloss over the fact that the two quantities are
inherently different in nature. They *behave* differently under
coordinate transformations.

PD

From: Ka-In Yen on

PD wrote:
> Ka-In Yen wrote:
> > PD wrote:
> > >
> > > I've already explained to you, KY, that your mathematical steps 1 by 1
> > > are ok. The physical meaning that you associate with those steps is
> > > what is faulty.
> >
> > Dear PD,
> >
> > Thank you for your comment. The vector of linear density and surface
> > density have been used for a long time.
> >
> > Current density(J) is a surface density and a vector; its unit is
> > A/m^2.
> >
> > Electric field(E) is linear density and a vector; Its unit is V/m.
> >
> > Displacement(D) is surface density and a vector; Its unit is coul/m^2.
> >
> > Reference: Classical Electrodynamics(J.D. Jackson) p.820
> >

> First of all, I find it interesting that you define anything that has a
> power of length in the denominator as a density. That's not completely
> unreasonable.
>
> But to assume that because *one* quantity has density-like units and is
> a vector does not mean that *all* quantities that have comparable units
> are also vectors.
>
> I'll give you an example of this. Torque and energy have identical
> units: N-m. However, one is explicity defined as a scalar quantity and
> the other is explicity defined as a vector quantity. No comparison of
> the units can gloss over the fact that the two quantities are
> inherently different in nature. They *behave* differently under
> coordinate transformations.

Dear PD,

Thank you for your question. I suggest different notations
for them: N X m (X is cross product) for torque and Nm for energy.

Ka-In Yen
Magnetic force: Drag force and Bernoulli force of ether dynamics.
http://www.geocities.com/redlorikee

From: PD on

Ka-In Yen wrote:
> PD wrote:
> > Ka-In Yen wrote:

> > > Dear PD,
> > >
> > > Thank you for your comment. The vector of linear density and surface
> > > density have been used for a long time.
> > >
> > > Current density(J) is a surface density and a vector; its unit is
> > > A/m^2.
> > >
> > > Electric field(E) is linear density and a vector; Its unit is V/m.
> > >
> > > Displacement(D) is surface density and a vector; Its unit is coul/m^2.
> > >
> > > Reference: Classical Electrodynamics(J.D. Jackson) p.820
> > >

> > First of all, I find it interesting that you define anything that has a
> > power of length in the denominator as a density. That's not completely
> > unreasonable.
> >
> > But to assume that because *one* quantity has density-like units and is
> > a vector does not mean that *all* quantities that have comparable units
> > are also vectors.
> >
> > I'll give you an example of this. Torque and energy have identical
> > units: N-m. However, one is explicity defined as a scalar quantity and
> > the other is explicity defined as a vector quantity. No comparison of
> > the units can gloss over the fact that the two quantities are
> > inherently different in nature. They *behave* differently under
> > coordinate transformations.
>
> Dear PD,
>
> Thank you for your question. I suggest different notations
> for them: N X m (X is cross product) for torque and Nm for energy.

An interesting suggestion but not generally required. There is also the
subtlety when one is referring to a vector quantity or the (scalar)
magnitude of the same vector quantity, as you've noticed.

PD

From: Lynx Xiong on

PD wrote:
> Ka-In Yen wrote:
> > PD wrote:

> > > First of all, I find it interesting that you define anything that has a
> > > power of length in the denominator as a density. That's not completely
> > > unreasonable.
> > >
> > > But to assume that because *one* quantity has density-like units and is
> > > a vector does not mean that *all* quantities that have comparable units
> > > are also vectors.
> > >
> > > I'll give you an example of this. Torque and energy have identical
> > > units: N-m. However, one is explicity defined as a scalar quantity and
> > > the other is explicity defined as a vector quantity. No comparison of
> > > the units can gloss over the fact that the two quantities are
> > > inherently different in nature. They *behave* differently under
> > > coordinate transformations.
> >
> > Dear PD,
> >
> > Thank you for your question. I suggest different notations
> > for them: N X m (X is cross product) for torque and Nm for energy.
> >

> An interesting suggestion but not generally required. There is also the
> subtlety when one is referring to a vector quantity or the (scalar)
> magnitude of the same vector quantity, as you've noticed.
>
> PD

why wont you eat your sandwitch first

From: Ka-In Yen on

Ka-In Yen wrote:
> The proof of mass vector.
> Introduction:
> In this paper, we will prove that linear mass density and
> surface mass density are vector, and the application of mass
> vector is presented.

> 3. Surface mass density is a vector.
> A parallelogram has two vectors: l m<i:3> and h m<j:3>. <i:3>
> and <j:3> are unit vectors. The area vector of the parallelogram
> is the cross product of these two vectors.
> l m<i:3> X h m<j:3>= lh (m^2 )<i:3>X<j:3>
> = lh abs(sin(theta)) (m^2)<k:3>
> Where theta is the angle between <i:3> and <j:3>. <k:3> is
> a unit vector which is perpendicular to <i:3> and <j:3>.
> For AXB=-BXA, an area has two directions.

> We can divide the area vector by the length vector.
> lh*abs(sin(theta))<k:3>/[l<i:3>]
> =h<i:3>X<j:3>/<i:3>
> =h(<i:3>X<j:3>)X<i:3>
> (The direction, <i:3>, is not changed by "division", and
> the division is replaced by a cross product.)
> =-h<i:3>X(<i:3>X<j:3>)
> =-h[<i:3>(<i:3>o<j:3>)-<j:3>(<i:3>o<i:3>)]
> (where o is dot product.)
> =-h(cos(theta)<i:3>-<j:3>)
> =h(<j:3>-cos(theta)<i:3>) m
> The result is a rectangle, not the original parallelogram. We
> can test the result.
> h(<j:3>-cos(theta)<i:3>)Xl<i:3>=lh m^2<j:3>X<i:3>
> The magnitude of the area vector is conserved, but the direction
> is opposite.

The equation of magnetic force is "vector division by vector".

F=iLXB (X is corss product).

L is a length vector; assuming L=l m<i:3>, <i:3> is a unit vector.

B is magnetic flux density. Its unit is tesla, or Wb/m^2. Wb, Weber,
is the unit of magnetic flux. Assuming

B= b (Wb/m^2)<j:3>, <j:3> is a unit vector.

Since B is a vector of surface density, we can rewrite it:

B= b Wb/(m^2<j:3>), <j:3> is moved to denominator.

LXB= l m<i:3> X b (Wb/m^2)<j:3>
= l m<i:3> * b Wb /(m^2<j:3>)
= lb Wb m<i:3>/(m^2<j:3>)

It's VDV.

Ka-In Yen
Magnetic force: Drag and Bernoulli force of ether dynamics.
http://www.geocities.com/redlorikee

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: infinity ...