From: zuhair on

Robert Low wrote:
> zuhair wrote:
> > Similar condition happens with
> >
> > P(x) = Singlton x = {x}
>
> Assuming that this made sense,
>
> > Now P(P(x))= Singlton {x} = {{x}} which is also a singlton
>
> This would still be wrong. P({x})={ {}, {x} }
> which has two elements.
>
> In general, if a set A has n(>=0) elements, P(A) has 2^n
> elements.

You are confusing P(x) for power set of x , which is not what I am

refering to , here P means propositional function and not Power.

Zuhair

From: Robert Low on
Robert J. Kolker wrote:
> Robert Low wrote:
>> zuhair wrote:
>> [stuff]
>> In general, if a set A has n(>=0) elements, P(A) has 2^n
>> elements.
> Don't confuse zuhair with facts.

In my (admittedly little) experience with zuhair, that's
unlikely to happen. The word 'impervious' does spring
to mind.
From: Robert Low on
zuhair wrote:
> Robert Low wrote:
>>zuhair wrote:
>>>Similar condition happens with
>>>P(x) = Singlton x = {x}
>>Assuming that this made sense,
>>>Now P(P(x))= Singlton {x} = {{x}} which is also a singlton
>>This would still be wrong. P({x})={ {}, {x} }
>>which has two elements.
>>In general, if a set A has n(>=0) elements, P(A) has 2^n
>>elements.
> You are confusing P(x) for power set of x , which is not what I am
> refering to , here P means propositional function and not Power.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were writing something intelligible
but incorrect. I see I was wrong about the first part of
that.
From: zuhair on

Robert Low wrote:
> zuhair wrote:
> > Robert Low wrote:
> >>Assuming that this made sense,
> >>This would still be wrong. P({x})={ {}, {x} }
> >>which has two elements.
> >>In general, if a set A has n(>=0) elements, P(A) has 2^n
> >>elements.
> > You are confusing P(x) for power set of x , which is not what I am
> > refering to , here P means propositional function and not Power.
>
> Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were writing something intelligible
> but incorrect. I see I was wrong about the first part of
> that.

So propositional functions are something not intelligible?huh!

How ignorant you are .

Zuhair

From: G. Frege on
On 19 Nov 2005 01:20:11 -0800, "zuhair" <zaljohar(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Define U to be the set of all x were x fulfills the propositional
> function
>
> P(x) = x.

I guess, what you m e a n is:

P(x) =df x = x

> U = Set of All sets, because everything is identical to itself.

This would indeed be the case, if such a set would exist (in the set
theory we are working in/with).

Actually, in the set theory MK (a descendant of NBG) you can define the
/class/ of all sets:

U =df {x : x = x}.

Right, here P(x) is x = x, as you suggested above.

Now in MK o n l y sets can be elements of sets, hence we would have:

x e U <-> set x & x = x.

for every x.

It can be shown that U is n o t a set (but a so called /proper class/),
hence U !e U, though (of course) U = U too.

> If U can be identical to itself, and so [an element] of itself.

Not in MK.

> so U = {U, ...}

Not in MK. But, surprise, in Quine's set theory NF there exists an
universal s e t U (where U =df {x : x = x}) containing all sets,
hence t h e r e we actually have

U e U,
hence

F.