From: Ross A. Finlayson on
Jonathan Hoyle wrote:
> In ZF Set Theory with no urelements, sets contain only other sets and
> nothing else. The set of natural numbers, or example, is just a set of
> sets.
>
> If you mean *all sets* then ZF and ZFC do not allow for the set of all
> sets. This must be the case, since if the collection of all sets were
> a set, it must therefore contain itself as a member, which violates the
> Axiom of Foundation (AF), one of the axioms of ZF.
>
> In a conservative extension of ZFC called NBG
> (vonNeumann-Bernays-Godel), you can have a collection of all sets, but
> this collection is not a set, but rather a proper class, for the
> reasons stated above. (All sets are classes, and those classes which
> are not sets are called proper classes). NBG is equi-consistent to
> ZFC; that is to say, if NBG is inconsistent, then it is only because
> ZFC is as well.
>
> To have "the set of all sets", you must work within a set theory which
> does not contain AF. These are called "non-Well Founded" Set Theories,
> and sets which violates AF are called "non-well founded sets".
> Obviously non-well founded sets in these theories do not exist in ZF,
> and thus you cannot assume traditional ZF properties to them.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Jonathan Hoyle

What's the class of all classes, in lieu of a set of all sets?

Answer: there is none. Proper classes aren't allowed to contain
proper classes.

The order type of ordinals would still be an ordinal, in NBG it's not a
set, but it still contains the structure of an ordinal. That the order
type of ordinals would be an ordinal is called the Burali-Forti paradox
for Cesare Burali-Forti.

For some, having classes, not classes at school but these contents of
classified collections, does not seem to be resolution of the problems
of unrestricted comprehension, which in a sense is logical induction.
The set surcease, class conundrum, group game, shell shuffle, doesn't
have a universe.

To get to talking about a universe, there are some difficulties.

Ross

From: zuhair on

Jonathan Hoyle wrote:
> In ZF Set Theory with no urelements, sets contain only other sets and
> nothing else. The set of natural numbers, or example, is just a set of
> sets.
>
> If you mean *all sets* then ZF and ZFC do not allow for the set of all
> sets. This must be the case, since if the collection of all sets were
> a set,

Define " collection "
Define set

Zuhair..........

From: Jonathan Hoyle on
>> Define " collection "
>> Define set

Sets are defined within the given theory. In ZFC, there are axioms to
tell you what sets are.

I use the term "collection" to describe those things which may be
modelled as a set in one theory, but not necessarily in another. For
example, the "collection of all sets" would not be a set in ZFC, would
be a proper class in NBG, and would be a full-fledged set in some
non-WF theories.

Of course this assumes you are working within a framework which can be
simultaneously modelled by different set theories.

Hope that helps,

Jonathan Hoyle
Eastman Kodak

From: zuhair on

Jonathan Hoyle wrote:
> >> Define " collection "
> >> Define set
>
> Sets are defined within the given theory. In ZFC, there are axioms to
> tell you what sets are.
>
> I use the term "collection" to describe those things which may be
> modelled as a set in one theory, but not necessarily in another. For
> example, the "collection of all sets" would not be a set in ZFC, would
> be a proper class in NBG, and would be a full-fledged set in some
> non-WF theories.
>
> Of course this assumes you are working within a framework which can be
> simultaneously modelled by different set theories.

And what is that framwork.

There is something missing. I don't like the reply you've made. It is a
kind of a fixed
answer to defend the current practice.

you should define collection in a clear manner.

Zuhair

From: Jonathan Hoyle on
>> And what is that framwork.

Typically ZFC is the default, unless stated otherwise. You can move to
NBG, which is proven to be equi-consistent. But point is: unless you
move to a more exotic logical framework, there is no such thing as the
set of all sets.

>> There is something missing. I don't like the reply you've made.
>> It is a kind of a fixed answer to defend the current practice.

I am not defending a "practice" as much as I am explaining the logical
foundations. I'm sorry you do not like the reply.

>> you should define collection in a clear manner.

"Collection" is a meta-theory term. Some collections are "sets" within
a framework, others are not. When a collection is not a set within a
framework, it is not addressable within that framework. For example,
your "collection of all sets" is clearly not a set in ZFC, as it
violates one of its axioms, namely the Axiom of Foundation (AF). In
logical frameworks which do not include AF, it could be a set, but you
would have to tell me what framework you are using.

If the meta-theoretical terms bother you, fine. Then we can tersely
sum it up this way: assuming ZFC, there is no such thing as the set of
all sets. Case closed.

Jonathan Hoyle
Eastman Kodak

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last