From: Han de Bruijn on
zuhair wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Define U to be the set of all x were x fulfilles the propositional
> function
>
> P(x) = x.
>
> U = Set of All sets , because everything is identical to itself.

Nothing is identical to itself. ????? ???, ????? ????? = Panta rhei,
ouden menei (: Heraclitus of Ephesus, 540-480 BC). Everything flows,
nothing remains (the same).

Han de Bruijn

From: zuhair on

Han de Bruijn wrote:
> zuhair wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone.
> >
> > Define U to be the set of all x were x fulfilles the propositional
> > function
> >
> > P(x) = x.
> >
> > U = Set of All sets , because everything is identical to itself.
>
> Nothing is identical to itself. ????? ???, ????? ????? = Panta rhei,
> ouden menei (: Heraclitus of Ephesus, 540-480 BC). Everything flows,
> nothing remains (the same).
>
> Han de Bruijn

Ok , even if , then I can define Px <-> x = ~x , ~ means Not.

So if U is the set of all the truth values of x in the above function.

Then U= The set of all sets ={.......} = { x|Px }, since nothing is
identical

to itself as you say would imply that everything is identical to what
is not itself.

Now U itself is not identical to itself as you say.

Then U is a truth value of x fulfilling the propositional function Px
above

Since U is the set of all truth values of x fulfilling Px.

Then: U = { U,.....}

Now even this {U,...} is not the same as itself as you said

Then it should be a member of U

so U = { { U,.....},........... }

And that can go for ever U = {{ { U,.....},........... },............}

Ultimately we will have

U= .........{{{{{{U,...},...},....},....},....},....}.........

We reached the same result but from a different angle.

I am interested in an imaginary subject that is the set of all
non-existing sets

In reality I believe that U above is the set of all non existing sets,
because I believe

that everything is identical to itself.

I don't know weather that is equivalent to the following

U= .......{{{{{ }}}}}.........

Since a non existing set is empteness?????

But if we say that {} is 0 , { {} } = {1}, { { {} } } = {0,1,} ,
{{{{}}}}= {0,1,2}

Then U = N= { 0,1,2,3,4,5,..........}

So N is uncatchable set.

One would say that a non existing set is not identical to the empty
set

But my question is that if X is a "non existing set"

Then { X } is an empty set.

However this might be wrong.

Any comment

Zuhair

From: zuhair on

zuhair wrote:
> Han de Bruijn wrote:
> > zuhair wrote:
> >
> > > Hello everyone.
> > >
> > > Define U to be the set of all x were x fulfilles the propositional
> > > function
> > >
> > > P(x) = x.
> > >
> > > U = Set of All sets , because everything is identical to itself.
> >
> > Nothing is identical to itself. ????? ???, ????? ????? = Panta rhei,
> > ouden menei (: Heraclitus of Ephesus, 540-480 BC). Everything flows,
> > nothing remains (the same).
> >
> > Han de Bruijn
>
> Ok , even if , then I can define Px <-> x = ~x , ~ means Not.
>
> So if U is the set of all the truth values of x in the above function.
>
> Then U= The set of all sets ={.......} = { x|Px }, since nothing is
> identical
>
> to itself as you say would imply that everything is identical to what
> is not itself.
>
> Now U itself is not identical to itself as you say.
>
> Then U is a truth value of x fulfilling the propositional function Px
> above
>
> Since U is the set of all truth values of x fulfilling Px.
>
> Then: U = { U,.....}
>
> Now even this {U,...} is not the same as itself as you said
>
> Then it should be a member of U
>
> so U = { { U,.....},........... }
>
> And that can go for ever U = {{ { U,.....},........... },............}
>
> Ultimately we will have
>
> U= .........{{{{{{U,...},...},....},....},....},....}.........
>
> We reached the same result but from a different angle.
>
> I am interested in an imaginary subject that is the set of all
> non-existing sets
>
> In reality I believe that U above is the set of all non existing sets,
> because I believe
>
> that everything is identical to itself.
>
> I don't know weather that is equivalent to the following
>
> U= .......{{{{{ }}}}}.........
>
> Since a non existing set is empteness?????
>
> But if we say that {} is 0 , { {} } = {1}, { { {} } } = {0,1,} ,
> {{{{}}}}= {0,1,2}
>
> Then U = N= { 0,1,2,3,4,5,..........}
>
> So N is uncatchable set.
>
> One would say that a non existing set is not identical to the empty
> set
>
> But my question is that if X is a "non existing set"
>
> Then { X } is an empty set.
>
> However this might be wrong.
>
> Any comment
>
> Zuhair

In continuation to that post, I got an interesting idea!

The set U above is the set of all non existing set, then is U existing
or not?

According to ZF set theory the set of all sets do not exist.

In reality I think that ZF set theory is concerned with existing sets

So in reality what ZF means is The set of all existing sets DO NOT
exist.

But could it be prooved according to ZF set theory that the set of all
non-existing sets
DO exist.

If so I think this set would be the EMPTY set.

So U= { }

Now if we define U' as the set of the truth values of x in Px <-> x =x

Then U' is the set of all existing sets , and it should not exist,
accordingly it is a member
of the empty set U.

So The power set of the set of all existing sets is the empty set
????

But what is a non-existing set

I have the idea that every existing set A has a non-existing set A'

Such that if A = { x | Px }

Then A' = { x| Px }

were A' is defined to contain the false values of x that of coarse do
not fulfill Px.

Example the set of the first three natural numbers N= {1,2,3} this is
an existing set

However the set of the first three non -natural numbers N' ={ 1,2,3}
this is a non existing

set.

Do not confuse A' with the complementary set of A.

So the set of all non-existing sets is an existing set and it is the
NULL SET.

Zuhair

From: MoeBlee on
zuhair wrote:
> Han de Bruijn wrote:
> > zuhair wrote:
> >
> > > Hello everyone.
> > >
> > > Define U to be the set of all x were x fulfilles the propositional
> > > function
> > >
> > > P(x) = x.
> > >
> > > U = Set of All sets , because everything is identical to itself.
> >
> > Nothing is identical to itself. ????? ???, ????? ????? = Panta rhei,
> > ouden menei (: Heraclitus of Ephesus, 540-480 BC). Everything flows,
> > nothing remains (the same).
> >
> > Han de Bruijn
>
> Ok , even if , then I can define Px <-> x = ~x , ~ means Not.
>
> So if U is the set of all the truth values of x in the above function.

You mean U is the set of all x such that x not= x.

> Then U= The set of all sets ={.......} = { x|Px }, since nothing is
> identical
> to itself as you say would imply that everything is identical to what
> is not itself.

If 'x is itself' iff 'x is identical with x', then what you've said
doesn't follow. Ax~Ixx does not imply Axy(~Ixy -> Ixy).

If nothing were identical with itself, then U would be the set of all
sets.

> Now U itself is not identical to itself as you say.
> Then U is a truth value of x fulfilling the propositional function Px
> above

U is not a truth value. What you mean is that the truth value is true
for U as an argument for the propositional function P.

> Since U is the set of all truth values of x fulfilling Px.

U is the set of x such that Px.

> Then: U = { U,.....}

UeU, yes.

> Now even this {U,...} is not the same as itself as you said
> Then it should be a member of U
> so U = { { U,.....},........... }

Right.

> And that can go for ever U = {{ { U,.....},........... },............}
>
> Ultimately we will have
>
> U= .........{{{{{{U,...},...},....},....},....},....}.........

No, we'll have U. Your notation above is undefined. We'll have the set
of all sets, which has a member itself, which has a member itself,
infinitely, if that's what you mean. But U has as members other things
besides itself. Also, if the identity axioms don't hold in this
situation, then some of the unstated middle steps in these inferences
won't be supported, so you won't even get to play around with these
things the way you think you can.

> We reached the same result but from a different angle.
> I am interested in an imaginary subject that is the set of all
> non-existing sets
> In reality I believe that U above is the set of all non existing sets,
> because I believe
> that everything is identical to itself.

Good. But if everything is identical with itself, then U is the empty
set. Calling it the set of 'all non-existing sets' is an unnecessarily
bizarre way of expressing it.

> I don't know weather that is equivalent to the following
>
> U= .......{{{{{ }}}}}.........
>
> Since a non existing set is empteness?????

There are descriptions such that no set fits the description. But there
is no set that exists but does not exist. If something is a set, then
it exists.

And your notation: .......{{{{{ }}}}}.........
isn't defined

> But if we say that {} is 0 , { {} } = {1}, { { {} } } = {0,1,} ,
>
> {{{{}}}}= {0,1,2}
>
> Then U = N= { 0,1,2,3,4,5,..........}

Which U? The set of all everything that is not identical to itself,
with the assumption that nothing is identical to itself? Or your
undefined notation:.......{{{{{ }}}}}.........? In the first case, U is
not {0 1 2...}. In the second case, it's just undefined notation.

> So N is uncatchable set.
>
> One would say that a non existing set is not identical to the empty
> set

No one I know would. There are no non-existing sets. If something is a
set, then it exists, whether it's empty or full to the brim.

> But my question is that if X is a "non existing set"
>
> Then { X } is an empty set.

Whatever X stands for, it stands for something that exists. I don't
know what system of logic you have in which X can stand for something
that does not exist (this is aside from the question of non-referring
terms resulting from conditional definitions).

> However this might be wrong.

It's barely coherent enough to be wrong.

> Any comment

See above.

> Zuhair

MoeBlee

From: MoeBlee on
zuhair wrote:

> The set U above is the set of all non existing set, then is U existing
> or not?

Existing. With the qualification that 'non-existing set' is not in the
language of set theories such as Z or ZF.

> According to ZF set theory the set of all sets do not exist.
>
> In reality I think that ZF set theory is concerned with existing sets

One would hope so.

> So in reality what ZF means is The set of all existing sets DO NOT
> exist.

ZF doesn't use 'existing' as a predicate.

> But could it be prooved according to ZF set theory that the set of all
> non-existing sets
> DO exist.

ZF doesn't have a predicate 'existing'.

> If so I think this set would be the EMPTY set.

If you change 'non-existing' to 'does not equal itself', then the set
of sets that do not equal themselves is the empty set.

> So U= { }
>
> Now if we define U' as the set of the truth values of x in Px <-> x =x

You mean U' is the set of x such that x=x.

> Then U' is the set of all existing sets , and it should not exist,
> accordingly it is a member
> of the empty set U.

What premise are you using now? That nothing is identical with itself?
Or everything is identical with itself? If the former, then we're not
in ZF, and I don't know how you'd do all the middle steps with the
equality sign. Putting that aside, U' is the univeral set under those
conditions. If the later, then, in ZF there is no such set.

But what is bizarre is how you've managed to say that non-existent
things are members of the empty set.

> So The power set of the set of all existing sets is the empty set

In ZF? There is no set of all sets to apply the power set operation to.

> But what is a non-existing set

There is no non-existing set. There are descriptions that no set
satisfies. But if somethig is a set, then it exists.

> I have the idea that every existing set A has a non-existing set A'

I have an idea that every nonset existing a has A A'.

> Such that if A = { x | Px }
>
> Then A' = { x| Px }
>
> were A' is defined to contain the false values of x that of coarse do
> not fulfill Px.

No, you just defined A' = A. And sets are not generally false values or
true values, unless they are indeed values for a Boolean function.

> Example the set of the first three natural numbers N= {1,2,3} this is
> an existing set
>
> However the set of the first three non -natural numbers N' ={ 1,2,3}
> this is a non existing
> set.

That's nonsense that deserves one and only one description: a work of
art.

> Do not confuse A' with the complementary set of A.

They're the same as you defined them.

> So the set of all non-existing sets is an existing set and it is the
> NULL SET.

Bravo!

> Zuhair

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last