From: Christopher Muto on
Ron Hardin wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:

>>> which model latitude. i have seen fan failures in under 30 days on the
>>> e6550's that result in overheating and bsod. or is this error occurring
>>> during installation of xp?
>> make that 6510. if this is happening with a fresh install then consider
>> either or both of the following... 1) if you have 4gb or more ram
>> remove a module until installation is complete. 2) consider the origins
>> of the xp cd you are using... if it wasn't provided by dell with this
>> system it may not have compatible drivers installed. the work around
>> would be to provide additional drivers as prompted by xp setup or to
>> simply enter the bios and change the mode of the hard drive to 'compatible'.
>
> E5400 Latitude. The trouble reported was with the existing XP downgrade O/S.
>
> I've wiped it and reformatting with the XP Pro SP3 CD that I got Dell to
> send me when the system came without one.
>
> However the reformatting is stuck at 4%.
>
> So it lost a HD interrupt or something.
>
> Which answers the question maybe where the trouble is.
>
> Well, it's either the MB or the HD, anyway.
>
> I'm number 54 to get back in the chat queue.

i don't agree with your conclusion. try what i suggested.
From: Tom Lake on
> There's a hold up in the Bronx,
> Brooklyn's broken out in fights.
> There's a traffic jam in Harlem
> That's backed up to Jackson Heights.
> There's a scout troup short a child,
> Kruschev's due at Idlewild
> Car 54, Where Are You?
>
> (A little something to help pass the time.)
> --
> Daddy

Oo! Oo! I remember that show!

Tom L
From: Ron Hardin on
Christopher Muto wrote:

> Ron Hardin wrote:
> > Christopher Muto wrote:

> >> make that 6510. if this is happening with a fresh install then consider
> >> either or both of the following... 1) if you have 4gb or more ram
> >> remove a module until installation is complete. 2) consider the origins
> >> of the xp cd you are using... if it wasn't provided by dell with this
> >> system it may not have compatible drivers installed. the work around
> >> would be to provide additional drivers as prompted by xp setup or to
> >> simply enter the bios and change the mode of the hard drive to 'compatible'.
> >
> > E5400 Latitude. The trouble reported was with the existing XP downgrade O/S.
> >
> > I've wiped it and reformatting with the XP Pro SP3 CD that I got Dell to
> > send me when the system came without one.
> >
> > However the reformatting is stuck at 4%.
> >
> > So it lost a HD interrupt or something.
> >
> > Which answers the question maybe where the trouble is.
> >
> > Well, it's either the MB or the HD, anyway.
> >
> > I'm number 54 to get back in the chat queue.
>
> i don't agree with your conclusion. try what i suggested.

Dell sent a new HD (loaded with factory image) and it's been running
for a day now without crashes. So at least it reduced the frequency
of crashes, and maybe eliminated them.

Factory image reinstall had a few application error aborts but seems to have
installed everything I would have left there after eliminating bloatware.

Interesting fact: if you remove the dell backup manager there's no
factory backup on the HD; a spare partition isn't the deal anymore.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2