From: Rich on
I'll believe this claim when I see it.

http://www.eoshd.com/entry.php?29-Panasonic-engineer-reveals-workings-of-
GH2-dual-exposure-sensor

Here are the key points:

* Panasonic have developed a 4K x 2K image sensor (approx. 12
megapixel) based on 'dual exposure technique'
* The sensor is described as having new architecture that tries to
improve sensitivity by a factor of 4 or more
* The architecture change is a new design which allows green pixels
to be read independently of the blue and red ones on the sensor.
* The green pixels are exposed 4 times longer than the red and blue,
thus achieving the sensitivity gain
* Motion artifacts are introduced as a result, but clever signal
processing of the red and blue channels corrects the motion artifacts
introduced in the green channel by the long exposure
* Red and blue channel gain achieved by pixel binning in 4x4 mode

The technique is similar to the Intelligent Resolution feature of the new
Panasonic TZ10 sensor, but on a larger scale.

A factor of 4 increase in sensitivity will allow the Micro 4/3rds camera
to surpass the full frame Canon 5DMkII. GH2 is currently slated for a
September release date
From: Doug Jewell on
Rich wrote:
> I'll believe this claim when I see it.
>
> http://www.eoshd.com/entry.php?29-Panasonic-engineer-reveals-workings-of-
> GH2-dual-exposure-sensor
>
> Here are the key points:
>
> * Panasonic have developed a 4K x 2K image sensor (approx. 12
> megapixel) based on 'dual exposure technique'
> * The sensor is described as having new architecture that tries to
> improve sensitivity by a factor of 4 or more
> * The architecture change is a new design which allows green pixels
> to be read independently of the blue and red ones on the sensor.
> * The green pixels are exposed 4 times longer than the red and blue,
> thus achieving the sensitivity gain
> * Motion artifacts are introduced as a result, but clever signal
> processing of the red and blue channels corrects the motion artifacts
> introduced in the green channel by the long exposure
> * Red and blue channel gain achieved by pixel binning in 4x4 mode
>

> The technique is similar to the Intelligent Resolution feature of the new
> Panasonic TZ10 sensor, but on a larger scale.
>
> A factor of 4 increase in sensitivity will allow the Micro 4/3rds camera
> to surpass the full frame Canon 5DMkII. GH2 is currently slated for a
> September release date
You forget of course, that if this technology is really as
good as it sounds, and makes a 4/3 sensor as sensitive as a
current 24x36 sensor, that the same technology can be
applied to a 24x36 sensor making it once again better than a
4/3 sensor.

No matter which way you look at it, smaller sensors will
always be behind large sensors. They may make momentary
gains during the early implementation phase of a new
technology, but as soon as that technology is applied to the
larger sensor, it will leap ahead again.

A larger sensor can have larger photosites for better
dynamic range and lower noise, more photosites for better
spatial resolution, or a combination of both.

--
What is the difference between a duck?
From: ron_tom on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 18:26:00 +1000, Doug Jewell
<ask(a)and.maybe.ill.tell.you> wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>> I'll believe this claim when I see it.
>>
>> http://www.eoshd.com/entry.php?29-Panasonic-engineer-reveals-workings-of-
>> GH2-dual-exposure-sensor
>>
>> Here are the key points:
>>
>> * Panasonic have developed a 4K x 2K image sensor (approx. 12
>> megapixel) based on 'dual exposure technique'
>> * The sensor is described as having new architecture that tries to
>> improve sensitivity by a factor of 4 or more
>> * The architecture change is a new design which allows green pixels
>> to be read independently of the blue and red ones on the sensor.
>> * The green pixels are exposed 4 times longer than the red and blue,
>> thus achieving the sensitivity gain
>> * Motion artifacts are introduced as a result, but clever signal
>> processing of the red and blue channels corrects the motion artifacts
>> introduced in the green channel by the long exposure
>> * Red and blue channel gain achieved by pixel binning in 4x4 mode
>>

>> The technique is similar to the Intelligent Resolution feature of the new
>> Panasonic TZ10 sensor, but on a larger scale.
>>
>> A factor of 4 increase in sensitivity will allow the Micro 4/3rds camera
>> to surpass the full frame Canon 5DMkII. GH2 is currently slated for a
>> September release date
>You forget of course, that if this technology is really as
>good as it sounds, and makes a 4/3 sensor as sensitive as a
>current 24x36 sensor, that the same technology can be
>applied to a 24x36 sensor making it once again better than a
>4/3 sensor.
>
>No matter which way you look at it, smaller sensors will
>always be behind large sensors. They may make momentary
>gains during the early implementation phase of a new
>technology, but as soon as that technology is applied to the
>larger sensor, it will leap ahead again.
>
>A larger sensor can have larger photosites for better
>dynamic range and lower noise, more photosites for better
>spatial resolution, or a combination of both.

What planet are you living on? What's the color of the sky in your world?
Technological innovations in sensor technology are *always* applied to
small sensor cameras first. It is only 1-3 years later where those
innovations are then applied to larger sensors.

Catch up!

From: Geoff G on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 18:26:00 +1000, Doug Jewell
<ask(a)and.maybe.ill.tell.you> wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>> I'll believe this claim when I see it.
>>
>> http://www.eoshd.com/entry.php?29-Panasonic-engineer-reveals-workings-of-
>> GH2-dual-exposure-sensor
>>
>> Here are the key points:
>>
>> * Panasonic have developed a 4K x 2K image sensor (approx. 12
>> megapixel) based on 'dual exposure technique'
>> * The sensor is described as having new architecture that tries to
>> improve sensitivity by a factor of 4 or more
>> * The architecture change is a new design which allows green pixels
>> to be read independently of the blue and red ones on the sensor.
>> * The green pixels are exposed 4 times longer than the red and blue,
>> thus achieving the sensitivity gain
>> * Motion artifacts are introduced as a result, but clever signal
>> processing of the red and blue channels corrects the motion artifacts
>> introduced in the green channel by the long exposure
>> * Red and blue channel gain achieved by pixel binning in 4x4 mode
>>

>> The technique is similar to the Intelligent Resolution feature of the new
>> Panasonic TZ10 sensor, but on a larger scale.
>>
>> A factor of 4 increase in sensitivity will allow the Micro 4/3rds camera
>> to surpass the full frame Canon 5DMkII. GH2 is currently slated for a
>> September release date
>You forget of course, that if this technology is really as
>good as it sounds, and makes a 4/3 sensor as sensitive as a
>current 24x36 sensor, that the same technology can be
>applied to a 24x36 sensor making it once again better than a
>4/3 sensor.
>
>No matter which way you look at it, smaller sensors will
>always be behind large sensors. They may make momentary
>gains during the early implementation phase of a new
>technology, but as soon as that technology is applied to the
>larger sensor, it will leap ahead again.
>
>A larger sensor can have larger photosites for better
>dynamic range and lower noise, more photosites for better
>spatial resolution, or a combination of both.

All fine and well, but as for as real-world production goes, the larger
sensor will always be 1-3 years behind the technological development of the
smaller sensor. If you are willing to live and wait with that, more power
to you! In the meantime, the smaller sensor technology will still be
surpassing your larger sensor technology by a good 2-3 years. Sucks to be
an early-adopter if you are a large-sensor extremophile.

From: c_atiel on
The last major hurdle of digital image capture is exposure latitude.
Even the best digital sensors still have very little latitude for over
exposure. This is compensated for/disguised by improvements in sensor noise
that allow the signal from relatively underexposed areas to be amplified.
Presumably readers here understand that is why you shoot in raw mode for
optimal results.
I personally believe that the concept behind Fuji sensors that mix image
capture cells of different sensitivities on the same sensor and use
sophisticated processing algorithms to blend the data is the way to go.
This system has worked very well for mammalian retinae and brains for quite
a while.
Sadly, many primates do not seem to use the brain part very well.