From: Bowser on

"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 23:16:14 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote in
> <d6aec1ff-02b2-4c61-9e0b-efb83095b857(a)d21g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>:
>
>>You can now buy a used DSLR in excellent condition for under $300 with
>>a kit lens from various sources. I bought a Nikon D100 for $125 a
>>month ago. What kind of clod would spend $200-$500 on a P&S if their
>>goal was excellent image quality and not portability?
>
> Those of us with real experience and open minds. ;)

Yeah, but some of us with open minds need to shoot football at night under
horrid lighting at ISO 6400. And, to make it worse, a lot of people want to
print those pix. Dammit all.

From: SMS on
Rich wrote:

> You can now buy a used DSLR in excellent condition for under $300 with
> a kit lens from various sources. I bought a Nikon D100 for $125 a
> month ago. What kind of clod would spend $200-$500 on a P&S if their
> goal was excellent image quality and not portability?

Those that would never consider buying a used electronic product that
lacked any warranty.

You also may find it hard to believe, but for many, if not most users,
achieving the best possible image quality is not their most important
consideration when selecting a camera. If it was, then there would be no
market for non-DSLRs at all.

That said, there are some reasons, beyond image quality, while a D-SLR
is useful. I took my D-SLR to Las Vegas yesterday for the Interbike
trade show. On the plus side, people kept thinking that I was part of
the press contingent, but it was rather a pain to carry the D-SLR. The
real reason I took it was because I needed the more powerful flash on
the trade show floor, though I could have stuck the same flash on my old
G2 instead of the D-SLR. Actually, as it turned out, what was really
good was having the wide angle lens with me (10-22mm = 16-35mm). This
enable me to get a lot of good photos that would not have been possible
with my "walking around lens" a 28-105mm (45mm-168mm). This is why I was
trying to buy a used 17-85mm IS earlier in the week, to no avail, but
the 10-22mm non-IS worked out fine. With the G2, I could not have gotten
such a wide angle, even with the adapter lens I have, and those adapter
lenses are very marginal in quality.
From: Robert Coe on
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 03:26:09 +0200, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com>
wrote:
: On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:28:08 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
:
: > : >> I can't see the images right now, because pbase.com is down. But I
: > : >> think you misread the subject. To be more precise: you missed the :
: > >> "only" part.
: > : >
: > : > I've *got* to cut down on caffeine. :
: > : The problem is, you never know. Maybe you need *more* caffeine.
: >
: > As I just told Bowse before reading your reply! Great minds think alike.
: > (Or is it just great photographic minds?)
:
: Great minds use standard quote-characters, and read a discussion before
: adding their own thoughts.

Do they indeed? And if one doesn't, does that justify your sarcasm?

You'll have to forgive me, but I started using a colon as a quoting character
so long ago that I've forgotten why. It must have had something to do with an
idiosyncracy of the newsreader I was using at the time. Or maybe I thought it
made it easier to resolve nests of embedded quotations. FWIW, I didn't invent
the concept; a colon was once more widely used as a quoting character than it
is now.

In any case, I hope you haven't felt obliged to read my articles if either
their formatting or their content offends you. You can even killfile me, and I
won't mind.

Bob
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:47:52 -0400, "Bowser" <up(a)gone.now> wrote in
<4abd1dbb$0$21092$ec3e2dad(a)unlimited.usenetmonster.com>:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> Those of us with real experience and open minds. ;)
>
>Yeah, but some of us with open minds need to shoot football at night under
>horrid lighting at ISO 6400. And, to make it worse, a lot of people want to
>print those pix. Dammit all.

I don't. "Different strokes for different folks."

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:01:50 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
wrote in <4abd215f$0$1637$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>:

>... With the G2, I could not have gotten
>such a wide angle, even with the adapter lens I have, and those adapter
>lenses are very marginal in quality.

Simply not true, as you might know if you'd ever actually used one.