From: Owain on
Have just 'upgraded' the system to T'bird 2.0.0.18 and *buntu Hardy Heron.

Having problems sending usenet messages. T'bird just sticks on the
'sending unsent messages'. Closing and restarting T'bird sometimes gives
the message that T'bird process is still running and I need to log out
and in again.

Some of my messages get sent and others don't.

Telnetting to the server appears okay:

owain(a)owain-desktop:~$ telnet news.plus.net 119
Trying 138.199.67.64...
Connected to plusnet.vsrv-ams.supernews.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 News.GigaNews.Com

Is this likely to be T'bird or the news server?

Owain

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:15:46 +0000, Owain wrote:

> Have just 'upgraded' the system to T'bird 2.0.0.18 and *buntu Hardy
> Heron.
>
> Having problems sending usenet messages. T'bird just sticks on the
> 'sending unsent messages'. Closing and restarting T'bird sometimes gives
> the message that T'bird process is still running and I need to log out
> and in again.
>
> Some of my messages get sent and others don't.
>
> Telnetting to the server appears okay:
>
> owain(a)owain-desktop:~$ telnet news.plus.net 119 Trying 138.199.67.64...
> Connected to plusnet.vsrv-ams.supernews.net. Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 News.GigaNews.Com
>
> Is this likely to be T'bird or the news server?

Not really answering your question, but I wasn't impressed with
Thunderbird when I used it for Usenet. It had a tendency to 'just do'
things, like suddenly deciding that it no longer had a UK dictionary but
all the same refusing to re-install it. I've never liked the rigid
separation it maintains between news servers and their associated list of
groups: this makes it impossible to change servers without deleting and
reinstating all subscribed groups.

It finally did enough to really annoy me and has been replaced by Pan
which suits me rather better.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Peter on
On 30/11/08 14:15 Owain wrote:
> Have just 'upgraded' the system to T'bird 2.0.0.18 and *buntu Hardy Heron.
>
> Having problems sending usenet messages. T'bird just sticks on the
> 'sending unsent messages'. Closing and restarting T'bird sometimes gives
> the message that T'bird process is still running and I need to log out
> and in again.
>
> Some of my messages get sent and others don't.
>
> Telnetting to the server appears okay:
>
> owain(a)owain-desktop:~$ telnet news.plus.net 119
> Trying 138.199.67.64...
> Connected to plusnet.vsrv-ams.supernews.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 News.GigaNews.Com
>
> Is this likely to be T'bird or the news server?

I have experienced the same problem with T'bird 2.0.0.18 using Mepis 8
beta5 (Debian clone) when I have come offline, composed a message, and
then gone back online to send, both with usenet and ordinary emails. It
didn't happen with previous versions of T'bird so suspect it's the
upgrade's fault. In my case the cure seems to be to stay online all the
time, but I'm still watching it!

Peter
From: Owain on
Peter wrote:
> I have experienced the same problem with T'bird 2.0.0.18 using Mepis 8
> beta5 (Debian clone) when I have come offline, composed a message, and
> then gone back online to send, both with usenet and ordinary emails. It
> didn't happen with previous versions of T'bird so suspect it's the
> upgrade's fault. In my case the cure seems to be to stay online all the
> time, but I'm still watching it!

It only happens with usenet with me. Ordinary emails seem to work fine.

Owain

From: Will Kemp on
Owain wrote:
> Have just 'upgraded' the system to T'bird 2.0.0.18 and *buntu Hardy Heron.
>
> Having problems sending usenet messages. T'bird just sticks on the
> 'sending unsent messages'. Closing and restarting T'bird sometimes gives
> the message that T'bird process is still running and I need to log out
> and in again.
>
> Some of my messages get sent and others don't.
>
> Telnetting to the server appears okay:
>
> owain(a)owain-desktop:~$ telnet news.plus.net 119
> Trying 138.199.67.64...
> Connected to plusnet.vsrv-ams.supernews.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 News.GigaNews.Com
>
> Is this likely to be T'bird or the news server?

I'm using thunderbird 2.0.0.18 and i haven't had any problems.

--
http://novemberechoromeodelta.com
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2