From: MZB on
I just got a new computer with Windows 7. I am using Thunderbird for
my new mail client. I set things up and all is working, but on the
setting it says the password is transmitted unsecurely, apparently it is
not encrypted.

Charter is no help whatsoever.

I am surprised -- does anyone else use Thunderbird with Charter?

Mel
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> it says the password is transmitted unsecurely

This is very much a "so what?" kind of error message.

Whoever worked on that aspect of Thunderbird's functionality seemingly
wanted everyone to use a secured channel for transmitting a password
to an e-mail server . They did this without realizing that the
establishment of a secured channel when sending credentials to an e-
mail server is pretty rare.

So you should change your settings. On Thunderbird 3, use Tools >
Account Settings > name of account in the list > Server Settings >
Connection Security > None. Also set "Use Secure Authentication" so it
is not checked.

You're not done yet. From the list on the side, find the "Outgoing
Server (SMTP) entry and click on it. You'll probably only find one
entry in the list, so click that and choose "Edit". A dialog box pops
up.

Check the settings there. While it's still somewhat uncommon, some
ISPs do require you to authenticate to their SMTP server. Charter
should tell you if this is the case, if they have a support page that
talks about setting up your e-mail software.

You will want to be sure (unless Charter calls for it, which I
seriously doubt) that even if you do have to authenticate, that the
"Use secure authentication" checkbox is NOT checked and that no form
of connection security is enabled.

That should fix it.

William