From: BillW50 on
In news:i0835g02qug(a)news1.newsguy.com,
Nate Nagel typed on Sun, 27 Jun 2010 13:52:48 -0400:
> considered one of the Linux distros for netbooks? I don't have a
> netbook, but I've found Ubuntu to run well on both my laptop and my
> (non-Dell) desktop. Certainly *much* faster than XP Pro on my work
> computer. A netbook especially I think is a good app for Linux
> because you won't miss the stuff that's not available either as a
> Linux version of the same software that you'd run under Windows, or
> else an equivalent GPL version (the big one that I can think of is
> AutoCAD, but who runs CAD on a netbook?) I'm thinking Ubuntu, with
> Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, and your IM program of choice
> (Pidgin seems to work well) should cover 99% of the typical netbook
> user's computing needs.

Well I too have many laptops and netbooks and I have some with Linux on
them. But Linux has the crappiest applications. And I include Firefox,
Thunderbird, OpenOffice, and Pidgin among them. And Linux is awful when
it comes to multimedia. As multimedia needs three times more CPU power
for the same performance than Windows XP does. So I can't do very much
under Linux. But I suppose some people don't do very much with their
computers anyway and it might be ok for them.

If you do go with Linux on a netbook... Btw, in the beginning they only
sold Linux on netbooks. As Windows XP was too expensive. Well that all
changed when Microsoft would give netbook manufactures a real deal of
OEM copies for Windows on their netbooks.

Anyway, there was only Linux available and they were not selling too
well. Then you got a choice later and get them either with Linux or
Windows XP. Well the Linux machines didn't sell well as virtually
everybody bought the Windows XP ones. And today you just can't find one
that offers Linux on them anymore because they just don't sell.

That being said, the Linux distro I really liked on a netbook was the
Asus Xandros distro. It came configured in Easy mode (vs. Advanced or
normal KDE desktop). I like this configuration because it would boot up
in a mere 20 seconds. Booting fast on a netbook is very important. As
you turn them on and off so much. Any other Linux configuration had
taken 40 or more seconds to boot up. While Windows XP takes 50 seconds
on the same machines. So unless you are running Xandros in Easy mode,
you are not gaining much if anything over than Windows XP anyway.

Sadly if you wanted wireless right away, even this Linux distro won't
help you. As even Xandros had taken like an extra 50 seconds to grab
your wireless. So Windows XP was still faster in the end anyway. As
Windows XP did the same in like 2 seconds.

Just putting things perspective.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

From: Zack on
I'd suggest either Linux of XP. If you are not comfortable with
Linux,
the limited use of a Netbook can be a blessing to start playing with
it.
Or, you may want not to mess with Linux, and simply go with XP.

Either way: make sure you take care of how to set it up, with booting,
services etc. This will be more important, for speed/performance and
just about everything else, than whether it is Linux or XP. (Even win7
should be fine.)

Regarding BillW50's "persepective" (the above post): I find it very
strange.
I've had no problems with Linux on a Netbook, and I know more people
who haven't. In fact, they strongly prefer it. (I have not used a
Netbook
enough to have a preference.) And I mean with full distros, not some
easy
ones. Also, I cannot disagree more about his judgement of apps,
specially
the very basic ones that he mentions. I have to say: what Bill says is
*his*
persepective. One can use Linux very nicely, on a Netbook just as
well.
(Note that you have way more flexibility with how you want your system
set up, when you use Linux. But then you do need to know a bit about
it.)

From: BillW50 on
Zack wrote:
> Regarding BillW50's "persepective" (the above post): I find it very
> strange.
> I've had no problems with Linux on a Netbook, and I know more people
> who haven't. In fact, they strongly prefer it. (I have not used a
> Netbook
> enough to have a preference.) And I mean with full distros, not some
> easy
> ones. Also, I cannot disagree more about his judgement of apps,
> specially
> the very basic ones that he mentions. I have to say: what Bill says is
> *his*
> persepective. One can use Linux very nicely, on a Netbook just as
> well.
> (Note that you have way more flexibility with how you want your system
> set up, when you use Linux. But then you do need to know a bit about
> it.)

Zack is a rare individual and only less than 1% agree with his
statement! As I use Linux all of the time and it has been around since
1992. And it has never even grown past 1% with the masses. So it is only
a niche OS. There is a very good reason for this. There isn't any good
applications for Linux at all. If Linux had great applications like
Windows does, it would be something.

And the reason why Linux doesn't do multimedia without using lots of CPU
power is because nobody has written something equivalent to DirectX for
Linux.

Linux is nothing more than a glorified PDA OS. That is all it is. And
all it does is bare bones simple tasks and that is all it can do. But
about 1% of computer users only do simple tasks on their computers so
Linux is just fine for them. But it isn't just fine for 99% of computer
users. As they need to do more with their computers than Linux can give
them.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
From: Bob Villa on
On Jun 29, 4:33 pm, BillW50 <Bill...(a)aol.kom> wrote:
> Zack wrote:
> > Regarding BillW50's "persepective" (the above post): I find it very
> > strange.
> > I've had no problems with Linux on a Netbook, and I know more people
> > who haven't.  In fact, they strongly prefer it. (I have not used a
> > Netbook
> > enough to have a preference.)  And I mean with full distros, not some
> > easy
> > ones.  Also, I cannot disagree more about his judgement of apps,
> > specially
> > the very basic ones that he mentions. I have to say: what Bill says is
> > *his*
> > persepective.  One can use Linux very nicely, on a Netbook just as
> > well.
> > (Note that you have way more flexibility with how you want your system
> > set up, when you use Linux. But then you do need to know a bit about
> > it.)
>
> Zack is a rare individual and only less than 1% agree with his
> statement! As I use Linux all of the time and it has been around since
> 1992. And it has never even grown past 1% with the masses. So it is only
> a niche OS. There is a very good reason for this. There isn't any good
> applications for Linux at all. If Linux had great applications like
> Windows does, it would be something.
>
> And the reason why Linux doesn't do multimedia without using lots of CPU
> power is because nobody has written something equivalent to DirectX for
> Linux.
>
> Linux is nothing more than a glorified PDA OS. That is all it is. And
> all it does is bare bones simple tasks and that is all it can do. But
> about 1% of computer users only do simple tasks on their computers so
> Linux is just fine for them. But it isn't just fine for 99% of computer
> users. As they need to do more with their computers than Linux can give
> them.
>
> --
> Bill
> Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
> Xandros Linux (build 2007-10-19 13:03)

I can only speak from observation and use of the daughter's 1545 LT.
Ubuntu has a very good DVD player...better IMO than Win players.
Also, FF seemed, to me, faster.
This is one more reason to disregard certain prejudices of certain
individuals.
bob
From: BillW50 on
Bob Villa wrote:
> On Jun 29, 4:33 pm, BillW50 <Bill...(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>> Zack wrote:
>>> Regarding BillW50's "persepective" (the above post): I find it very
>>> strange.
>>> I've had no problems with Linux on a Netbook, and I know more people
>>> who haven't. In fact, they strongly prefer it. (I have not used a
>>> Netbook
>>> enough to have a preference.) And I mean with full distros, not some
>>> easy
>>> ones. Also, I cannot disagree more about his judgement of apps,
>>> specially
>>> the very basic ones that he mentions. I have to say: what Bill says is
>>> *his*
>>> persepective. One can use Linux very nicely, on a Netbook just as
>>> well.
>>> (Note that you have way more flexibility with how you want your system
>>> set up, when you use Linux. But then you do need to know a bit about
>>> it.)
>> Zack is a rare individual and only less than 1% agree with his
>> statement! As I use Linux all of the time and it has been around since
>> 1992. And it has never even grown past 1% with the masses. So it is only
>> a niche OS. There is a very good reason for this. There isn't any good
>> applications for Linux at all. If Linux had great applications like
>> Windows does, it would be something.
>>
>> And the reason why Linux doesn't do multimedia without using lots of CPU
>> power is because nobody has written something equivalent to DirectX for
>> Linux.
>>
>> Linux is nothing more than a glorified PDA OS. That is all it is. And
>> all it does is bare bones simple tasks and that is all it can do. But
>> about 1% of computer users only do simple tasks on their computers so
>> Linux is just fine for them. But it isn't just fine for 99% of computer
>> users. As they need to do more with their computers than Linux can give
>> them.
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>> Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
>> Xandros Linux (build 2007-10-19 13:03)
>
> I can only speak from observation and use of the daughter's 1545 LT.
> Ubuntu has a very good DVD player...better IMO than Win players.
> Also, FF seemed, to me, faster.
> This is one more reason to disregard certain prejudices of certain
> individuals.
> bob

You bet Bob. That is why I have multiple same model computers configured
with all of the same hardware. As you can run them side by side running
different OS. And the neat thing about these Celeron netbooks, as slow
performing software shows up clear as a bell.

And take any distro of Linux and run it on one of these. Throw an
external 1440x900 monitor on and open up some multimedia video playing
full screen. And you see that Linux is showing you one frame per 5
seconds. That is 1/5 of a frame per second. That is just awful!

Do the same thing under Windows XP and Windows has no problems playing
the same video on the same external monitor at full screen even @ 30fps.
There is a huge difference in performance between media played between
Linux and Windows XP.

Also if you like playing music files like I do. Using Firefox while the
music is playing causes the audio to start and stop under Linux while
Firefox is just loading pages. This is just terrible!

Windows can pull this off because it has DirectX and reduces the
processor use to play files tremendously. Linux has no such help. And
Linux has to muscle the CPU just to play low bandwidth stuff.

This isn't my opinion Bob, it is technological fact. And can be shown
scientifically. And it is repeatable over and over again.

And by the way, Ubuntu doesn't even include a DVD player either. They
claim they can't include one because it falls under restrictive
software. So you have to download it separately and if it refuses to,
you are just SOL. Look for yourself.

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/musicvideophotos/C/video-dvd.html

--
Bill
2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Thunderbird--windows7--charter
Next: Something new