From: Ben Myers on
On 7/1/2010 11:37 AM, BillW50 wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:27:23 -0400:

>>> We can *always* count on you, Ben! To take an intellectual conversation
>>> and turn it into an ad hominem one. Can't we?
>>>
>>> And by chance Ben isn't just playing dumb this time...
>>>
>>> 1) Yes scientists do use computers and some even use Dells too.
>>>
>>> 2) Yes scientists do use the Internet, just like anybody else does.
>>>
>>> 3) Yes in the early beginnings, the Internet was called ARPANET
>>> (Advanced Research Projects Agency NET). And computer scientists were
>>> its first users. So why shouldn't we be still here?
>>>

>> I could not help myself. I feel really humbled to be in the virtual
>> presence of a real computer scientist... Ben
>
> I don't know why? As the computer scientists I know (including myself),
> don't think it is any big deal. And I remember a computer magazine
> called .info (yes with the dot in front of it) had an article that
> talked about the computer scientists. That magazine called us "computer
> elite gods"... Anyway some wanted to give the power of computers to the
> masses (me included). While another side wanted to keep it out of the
> hands of the common people and keep the power of computers to
> themselves. Well you know the end of that story. ;-)

That's it! It's the virtual presence of an elite god in a virtual white
lab coat that is absolutely jaw-dropping for me. I remain in awe at
your virtual presence! ... Ben
From: BillW50 on
Ben Myers wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:18:42 -0400:
> On 7/1/2010 11:37 AM, BillW50 wrote:
>> Ben Myers wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:27:23 -0400:

>>> I could not help myself. I feel really humbled to be in the virtual
>>> presence of a real computer scientist... Ben
>>
>> I don't know why? As the computer scientists I know (including myself),
>> don't think it is any big deal. And I remember a computer magazine
>> called .info (yes with the dot in front of it) had an article that
>> talked about the computer scientists. That magazine called us "computer
>> elite gods"... Anyway some wanted to give the power of computers to the
>> masses (me included). While another side wanted to keep it out of the
>> hands of the common people and keep the power of computers to
>> themselves. Well you know the end of that story. ;-)
>>

> That's it! It's the virtual presence of an elite god in a virtual white
> lab coat that is absolutely jaw-dropping for me. I remain in awe at
> your virtual presence! ... Ben

It is always nice to know we can always depend on you for the ad hominem
side of any issue, Ben.

--
Bill
2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
From: Ben Myers on
On 7/1/2010 1:37 PM, BillW50 wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:18:42 -0400:

>>> I don't know why? As the computer scientists I know (including myself),
>>> don't think it is any big deal. And I remember a computer magazine
>>> called .info (yes with the dot in front of it) had an article that
>>> talked about the computer scientists. That magazine called us "computer
>>> elite gods"... Anyway some wanted to give the power of computers to the
>>> masses (me included). While another side wanted to keep it out of the
>>> hands of the common people and keep the power of computers to
>>> themselves. Well you know the end of that story. ;-)
>>>

>> That's it! It's the virtual presence of an elite god in a virtual
>> white lab coat that is absolutely jaw-dropping for me. I remain in awe
>> at your virtual presence! ... Ben
>
> It is always nice to know we can always depend on you for the ad hominem
> side of any issue, Ben.

Same as we can all depend on a lot of hot air in your posts. If there
was far less hot air and more down and dirty factual information, this
would be good... Ben
From: Nate Nagel on
On 07/01/2010 07:05 AM, BillW50 wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 00:10:31 -0400:
>> On 06/30/2010 08:38 AM, BillW50 wrote:
>>
>>> And take any distro of Linux and run it on one of these. Throw an
>>> external 1440x900 monitor on and open up some multimedia video playing
>>> full screen. And you see that Linux is showing you one frame per 5
>>> seconds. That is 1/5 of a frame per second. That is just awful!
>>
>> It would be awful if that was what happened. I can't speak for
>> 1440x900, but at 1920x1080 I'm not noticing anything like that.
>>
>> nate
>
> I take the scientific approach, Nate. If we get different results, I
> believe it should be investigated to learn why? So let's start with what
> kind of system are you getting this amazing Linux performance? And what
> Linux distro are you using and the version number? And are you using the
> stock player or another one?

Ubuntu 10.04, VLC, PowerSpec G207

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
From: Nate Nagel on
On 07/01/2010 07:19 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 07/01/2010 07:05 AM, BillW50 wrote:
>> Nate Nagel wrote on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 00:10:31 -0400:

>>> It would be awful if that was what happened. I can't speak for
>>> 1440x900, but at 1920x1080 I'm not noticing anything like that.
>>>
>>> nate
>>
>> I take the scientific approach, Nate. If we get different results, I
>> believe it should be investigated to learn why? So let's start with what
>> kind of system are you getting this amazing Linux performance? And what
>> Linux distro are you using and the version number? And are you using the
>> stock player or another one?
>>

> Ubuntu 10.04, VLC, PowerSpec G207

Forgot to mention, that just happens to be what I'm using now. Also no
problem with 10.04/VLC on a Precision M90 or Studio 1555. Retired my
old Gateway something-or-other laptop which was running 9.10 and that
worked as well. Precision M90 also had 9.04 on it prior to the release
of 10.04 with no problems.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.